1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Will Churches have to close due to the Pandemic

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They are closing schools and canceling events with large numbers of people because of the coronavirus pandemic, will this lead to churches closing....

"The spread of coronavirus has compelled hundreds of K-12 schools in the U.S. to close, affecting more than 850,000 students, according to an analysis by Education Week. And those numbers are certain to increase in the coming days, as concerned parents call for more school closures.

The growing health crisis presents school leaders with a painful choice. Closing schools as has been done, so far, in China, Japan, Italy and elsewhere is a proven measure that has been shown to slow the spread of disease and, in turn, save lives. But it also causes huge economic and social disruption, especially for children, millions of whom depend on the free and reduced-cost meals they get at school."....
    When Should Schools Close For Coronavirus?

They are suspending the NBA after one player was found to test positive, with the large gatherings a concern....

"The NBA has suspended the 2019-20 season after a Utah Jazz player, reportedly Rudy Gobert, tested positive for COVID-19. Games in progress on the night of March 11 will be completed."....
    Coronavirus live updates: NBA suspends season after Utah Jazz player tests positive for COVID-19

It is only a matter of time before the gatherings at churches is going to become a matter of concern and draw the attention of health officials and others. What happens then...

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will that lead to freedom or religion/separation of church and state conflicts? They would try to justify it as a "public health and safety" issue, but would some churches ignore any government mandate not to meet, and who would be charged if they did?

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know if churches will be forced to close. Undoubtedly, some will. I think a better decision will be to modify person-to-person contact. No handshakes. No hugs. If you are sick or feel sick, stay home. The CDC says the highest mortality risk is to children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems. In a worst-case scenario in which the virus starts spreading through communities, keep the corporate worship service and suspend everything else including Sunday school, youth groups, small groups, nursery, and church-wide social activities. Let us pray that the virus does not progress to a worst-case scenario.

#3 Reformed, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider the church to be the embassy of the Kingdom of God. The US government has no say within a foreign embassy. When we meet as citizens of the Kingdom, we meet to hear the news from our King, Jesus. We walk in faith. If God chooses to bring us home because we meet at the embassy, then so be it. But, let us not stop meeting. (Heb 10:25)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I saw where churches in the Seattle area where being ordered to close, anyone know about it.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has now officially declared that we will have an "online only" service this week. I will probably be in the Dairy Queen with my morning coffee, as usual for every day day except Sunday, trying to get it on my phone. If I can't, I'll just work my sudoku puzzles. Ain't this biblical?

7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the virus virtually did not affect children for reasons unkown.

8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure about that. I listened to a CDC talking head name the most vulnerable groups. Perhaps he misspoke?

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is from the CDC website:

Source: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

• Like Like x 1
  10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I am foolish to read Psalm 91 and believe...

Psalm 91:1-16 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place— the Most High, who is my refuge— no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the adder; the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot. “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then, I guess the talking head misspoke. I am glad to hear that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to be a lot of that going on with all of this...

13. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, I came across this on closing churches...
    "MARCH 11 9:48 p.m. -- Lakewood Church will not hold public services this weekend. Its services will be broadcast exclusively online.

"While there will be no services held at the church building located at 3700 Southwest Freeway this weekend, we will continue to monitor the situation week by week and hope to resume the assembly in the very near future," Lakewood said in a statement.

Services will be broadcast on Facebook, Youtube, Roku and on both JoelOsteen.com and LakewoodChurch.com, as well as on SiriusXM Channel 128 at the following times (Central time zone):"
    Latest coronavirus updates: Lakewood Church suspends in-person services

14. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen

15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church announced that that they will not hold services this Sunday and next.

“The way to stop the spread of the virus is to limit our exposure to the virus carrier. In other words, to limit our exposure to other people.​

Our governor, Tom Wolf, spoke directly to you and I when he asked religious leaders to use discretion and to limit the spread of the virus through our congregations. In the spirit of honoring his comments we have decided to cancel our services for the next two weeks, March 15th and 22nd. Even though we won't be meeting as a larger church family, it doesn't mean we should shirk the opportunity to seek the Lord in pray and worship and in the Word this Sunday morning. We are encouraging you to do that in your home.”
    Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MarysSon

MarysSon Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think that they leave it up to the churches to make these kinds of prudent and self-monitoring decisions.

Our diocese issued a statement that anybody who is in a high-risk category (chronic illness, elderly, immuno-compromised) should consider staying home for the next 3 weeks or so until we see how this progresses. They left it up to the individual.

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not foolish to read Psalm 91 and believe it as God's Word.

I'm not saying you, but I believe MANY are foolish who post portions of Psalm 91 on Facebook and claim that they will not get sick and go on about their lives boasting that nothing will happen to them.

I have friends on Facebook who are doing that very thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. God tells us that rain falls on both the upright and the wicked. Job reminds us that God may bring both good and bad to us and we should praise God in all circumstances. We are not immune to this virus, but we know that God ordains what he wills for us and he will be gracious in all situations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We had services in Oneida, NY!!!