1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Will Churches have to close due to the Pandemic

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing to keep in mind about closing church bldgs - is that by having services - they will need extensive dis-infecting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Good point. But, if the buildings themselves are closed for two weeks, would you still need to disinfect them? My understanding is the virus cannot live that long on anything.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I explained. You say I am wrong. You correct me. Since you have presently refused, I take it that you don't know.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a vast difference between closing churches and not gathering on Sunday morning. Many if not most churches are live streaming their services with a skeleton crew working the equipment to provide the stream. The churches are still functioning to see to the care and concern of its members just not gathering at the building for services.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand why people would be reluctant to temporarily suspend in-person church services, but I think it's the loving thing to do.

1) Some of our seniors (who are high-risk) who are very dedicated to church are likely to come to services even when cautioned against it. For some, if the doors are open, they will come. Suspending in-person services ensures that these vulnerable seniors can remain in their homes and limit their exposure.

2) For those who are not in high risk groups, limiting exposure reduces the likelihood of spreading the virus not only within the church but also within the community and, importantly, to those high-risk individuals.

3) Depending on how the church approaches it, having in-person gatherings during this crisis has the potential to make the church appear self-centered (by not accomplishing #2). That's not a message you want to send to non-Christians. What may seem like an exercise of faith from the inside may look like recklessness from the outside.

4) Depending on the attitude of those involved, having in-person gatherings during this crisis can be presumptuous or showy. God did not command that the church meet every single Sunday without exception, even in the middle of a pandemic. There isn't a solid foundation to believe that God will protect everyone from this virus or from transmitting this virus. Acting as if something is a test of faith is only appropriate for actual times where faith is being tested. I tend to think this is not one of those situations, but I could be wrong, of course. If a church is doing it for show or attention---"Look how much faith we have!"--then they've missed the point entirely. But those with sincere, prayerful belief that they should still meet together are in a different boat.

Emergency situations require adjustments to standard protocol. The church is no different. It's like when Jesus referred to rescuing an animal who fell into a pit on the Sabbath to get his challengers to re-evaluate their criticism of his healing on the Sabbath. The general principle was not to work on the Sabbath. But a special circumstance (like a person in need of healing) required an exception to that general principle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's true, but that shouldn't take too long to do. The real question now, is how long will the guidelines that is closing many churches, keeping groups of more than 50 (some say 10) from meeting. It just seems a bit much for it to go all the way to September...

#47 Hobie, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  8. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In North Carolina, it is now illegal to attend church. Up to 12 months in jail, and a $1,200 fine. At least according to the radio

You dont think that the left hates christians? There you go

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess they'll have to use that $1,200 check coming from the federal government to pay that fine, right? ;)

10. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What? I would think that would go against the Constitution and Freedom of Religion.