1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Will Churches have to close due to the Pandemic

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, Mar 12, 2020.

1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church singing this morning. Sorry, I didn't record the first verse.
    We sang A Mighty Fortress Is Our God without instruments. It is such a blessing.

AMighyFortress.mp3

2. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sure the martyrs of Abitina would not have let fears of an illness keep them away from the Eucharist...

"Sine dominico, non possumus."

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference in dying for Christ and dying from stupidity. The current stupidity will harm the innocent.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I guess to some, safety is now a Christian virtue.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And to many, stupidity now seems to be a Christian virtue.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of that old story
    A city has been flooded and still raining.
    A family of 5 are in their split level house-
    an Army National Guard truck comes by to get them to higher ground and safety.
    Dad says- "NO need - God will protect us"

The following day - the waters have risen and now they are on the top floor
    A coast guard boat comes to rescues them -
    Dad says - "NO need - God will protect us"

The following they are forced to the roof of the house
    an Air National Guard chopper comes to rescues them
    Dad says - "NO need - God will protect us"

That night - all five of the family drown with rising waters
    As they report to St Peter at the entrance of Heaven
    Dad demands to know why God did not protects them

The St Peter Reply - "I sent you a deuce and half truck, a boat and a chopper
    what else could I have done???"

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Churches are not a building, they are a people.
    #2 The people of Christ were commissioned to proclaim the gospel of Christ.
    #3 In the early days of the church, believers influenced their community by caring for the poor, the sick, and the dead.

One way we can show our community that we care for them is to follow viral isolation protocols.
    Our Church Email did not sound fearful.

Church Yesterday
    So how was church yesterday? What did you do? Did you use the worshipoutline Pastor xxxxx developed and sent out to everyone? Shoot me an email and give us some feedback on what worked or didn't work as you worshiped in your home. I'll be working with Pastor xxxxxx and xxxxxx tomorrow working on next Sunday’s service.​

You probably know that our campus is closed at least March 29th. The CDC has recommended that group meetings be limited to no more than 50 people for the next eight weeks Eight weeks would put us at May 10th. We ARE NOT making that change until the state of PA speaks on that matter. We are working day-by-day, moment-by-moment. Stay tuned.​

With our campus being closed there are no ministry activities taking place.​

Small groups, bible studies and team meetings are left to the discretion of the ministry leader and if they take place will do so off campus. Contact your ministry leader to confirm the status for your group, study or team meeting.​

Check your email and social media regularly for updates and news.​

Priorities
    Priority #1 - Stay in the Word. Keep your heart centered and fixed on TRUTH that will defend your mind and heart from attacks of the enemy. Use what you are reading to encourage others. Memorizing scripture is the best way to have verses tucked away for those moments when you need to speak truth to the fears and doubts that are assailing all of us. Text verses to your friends, your SG or your bible study or your teammates. Stay in the Word.​

Priority #2 - Stay connected. I don't know about you but when I miss one Sunday of church it can feel like it's been months since I've seen any of ya'll. Well, it might be weeks before we really do get to see each other again on a Sunday morning. So work hard, be diligent about staying connected to your brothers and sisters in the Lord. Go through the church directory and ask God who He might want you to connect with or to encourage. It will be so easy for folks to feel isolated and alone at a time like this. Let them know you care and love them.​

Priority #3 - Meeting needs. [snip] If you know someone in need, talk to them and find out how others can help them. If you need to bring the Congregational Care team in to help meet their needs, [let us know] Let your SG leader or bible study leader or team leader know of the need to bring other people into the process of assisting them. If the need should be confidential, that is not a problem. We can do that.​

Priority #4 - Pray. Pray for our church, our elders, our leaders and staff. Pray for our nation, our local leaders, state officials and our president and the federal government. Pray for the people in your SG, your bible study and your teammates. Pray for your lost friends who need the hope that we have in Christ. Pray for yourself, that God will give you wisdom and discernment to understand the times we live in and how to apply biblical truth to them. Since we can't do prayer requests on Connection Cards, send your confidential prayer requests to our email chain and include "Confidential" in the subject line. Your prayer request will not be sent to the church family, instead the Elders will receive it and pray for you.
    We have a mission, it’s our duty to be faithful.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember a couple of years ago - a local pastor told me - "Today - we will not attend church, rather, we are going to be the Church!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems even the Roman Catholic Church doesn't actually believe in real presence and transubstantiation. Their lack of faith shows they believe the bread remains bread and the wine remains wine. Gotta be a lot of RCC folks disillusioned by their leaders.

10. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Please explain transubstantiation and then make your case why you think the Church has seemingly ceased to believe it.

11. drivenfuture

drivenfuture Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Jacksonville FL they've limited the amount of people in any one building or park to 50 total.

12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bread becomes the flesh of Jesus.
    Wine becomes the blood of Jesus.

Question: Is Jesus infected with Covid19?

If, the bread is the real flesh of Jesus and the wine is the real blood of Jesus, there is no way a person would get sick.

13. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is clear your assertion is based on a false premise, as that is not what transubstantiation is. Please try again. You first need to understand what transubstantiation is, lest you continue to build a straw man.

"We must understand before we can criticize." - Étienne Gilson

#33 Walpole, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, you tell me your version. I'm not running down your bunny trail trying to chase you. I have stated my position share yours or accept mine.

15. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I suspected, you do not know what you are talking about.

If you want to reformulate your assertion and correct your straw man, you need to first properly define transubstantiation.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this elsewhere

The 16th-century theologian Martin Luther had this to say during the bubonic plague, offering his thoughts in a letter titled "Whether One May Flee From a Deadly Plague" on how best to practically and spiritually overcome. His advice is prudent for all to follow during this Coronavirus pandemic, especially Christians.

"I shall ask God mercifully to protect us.

"Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine, and take it.

"I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance infect and pollute others, and so cause their death as a result of my negligence.

"If God should wish to take me, He will surely find me, and I have done what He has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others.

"If my neighbor needs me, however, I shall not avoid place or person, but will go freely."

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell me then. At this point I doubt you know.

18. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I read it to my wife and she agreed we should also read it to the church members during this pandemic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You should be able to explain it since your conclusion is based on your premise, which requires a knowledge of what exactly transubstantiation is.

What you have done thus far is provide a text-book example of a straw man.

20. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Thank you for this post. It is very informative.

It is important to understand though that for the majority of Christians throughout the world, the Eucharist is the central act of worship, the center of the liturgical life of the Church and therefore the center of the Christian life. All of these priorities you listed, while certainly virtuous, can never substitute the for the Christian Eucharist, where man has communion with God and with his fellow man in love.

• Useful Useful x 1