Without the general redemptton being true.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 37818, Sep 27, 2022.

1. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't explained how the question is answered.

2. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of words. How does anyone know one's sins are covered? Not answered.

3. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explained what? How does anyone know one's sins are covered?

4. unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again I would refer you to post 18, especially 1 Jn 3:14 saying we KNOW (have assurance or confidence) we (as brethren) have passed from death unto life because we love the brethtren (one another), the body of Christ, thereby keeping his commandment. Therefore, if we keep his commandment to love one another, we can know we have his life and love in us,

A yet lost sinner cannot comprehend any of this but one who has been made alive can have assurance and hope. i hope I am understanding your question and that my answer goes to your point.

5. unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro 37818, how do you know your sins are covered?

6. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This question has not been addressed. I am thinking about knowing.

7. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one knows without a general redemption. Not me, not anyone.

[Romans 5:8]

8. unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 5:8 does not use the word us in the context of the world. Us is the same context as we in the verses I gave you. It is the same as those whom the Father gave the Son.

You called the verses I gave you lots of words. What other verses do you have other that Rom 5:8?

9. unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you calling general redemption the belief that Christ died for the world, yet only those believing will be saved?

And if he died for the world, why did he not pray for the world? Jn 17:9

10. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure it does.
    It doesn't seem to satisfy you as you are determined to live with massive contradictions and ignore the scripture that refutes you.

11. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    *Hebrews 9:27-28*

And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

12. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If 'the general redemption' is true, it doesn't matter whether Christ has paid for your sins because you may still be lost. Christ is relegated and faith becomes all-important. Yet Simon Magus believed and was still lost, so how can you know if you have the right kind of faith?

13. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Claiming a none existent contradiction doesn't show any kind real contradiction. If there is one show it. Dah.

14. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like your comments. They have good substance. While belief is the requirement [like in John 3:16], it doesn't merit or cause salvation.
    God solely does the saving and the keeping [John 1:11-13, John 10:26-29].

15. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In fact, the Bible gives us a number of tests by which we can assess whether we are born again.
    Here are four subjective and seven objective tests:
    Subjective Tests.
    1. Consciousness of two competing natures within us. Galatians 5:17 says, ‘For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.’ If you feel that, it is and indication that you are born of the Spirit.
    2: Experimental Knowledge of God as Father. Romans 8:15 says, ‘For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry, “Abba, Father.”‘
    3. The Feeling of not Belonging to the World. “If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you” (John 15:19; cf. 1 John 2:15ff).
    4. The direct witness of the Spirit. ‘The Spirit Himself bears witness with our Spirit that we are children of God’ (Romans 8:16).

Objective Tests.
    1. An evangelical obedience to our Lord’s commands. The Lord Jesus told His disciples; “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15; cf.1 John 2:3-4).
    2. Spiritual Fruit. Christ told His disciples, “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit” (John 15:5).
    3. A Sincere Commitment to Righteousness. The Apostle John wrote, ‘Whoever does not practise righteousness is not of God’ (1 John 3:10).
    4. Christian Love. ‘Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God (1 John 4:7).
    5. Theological Orthodoxy. ‘Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God (1 John 5:1).
    6. Overcoming the World. ‘For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world- our faith ’ (1 John 5:4).
    7. Doctrinal Purity. ‘Whoever transgresses (NIV ‘runs ahead’) and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God’ (2 John 9).

I work each of these out in more detail on my blog: New Birth (9). Evidences of the New Birth

I do not see that any of them has any particular reference to General or Particular Redemption.

16. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    *Hebrews 7:22-27*

This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant. The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens. He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.
    I already showed you your obvious contradiction. Your denial of it does not magically make it go away.
    You have to deal with the fact that Jesus full payment to remove every single person's sins, universally, and make them holy, is not enough to save them. You make the atonement of no worth and instead place all worth upon the human choice to generate their own personal faith. Therefore, in your doctrine, God's grace does not save. Instead, your faith saves you and your faith causes God to be gracious to you. In that teaching, the atonement is secondary and ultimately meaningless, if a person does not conjure up their own faith.

17. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grace is the requirement. God must graciously save you.
    If belief is the cause that moves God to be gracious, then your works caused God to save you. Do you see your contradiction yet?

18. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without an understanding of a general redemption no one from the written word of God can know that one has the New Covenant forgiveness [Hebrews 1.0:17].

Luke 22:19-20. Judas was included and not saved.

19. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the assumption that you meant to cite Hebrews 10:17, even with an (incorrect IMO) understanding of a general redemption how can one know from the written word of God that one has 'the New Covenant forgiveness'? One should know, and I've told you why on another thread, but I'd like to know your reasoning and why you're banging on about this.

20. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or to the age of fifty, Numbers 4:3.
    What post?