Witnessing to Jews

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 14, 2017.

1. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelist - post #32, please.

2. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This critic always thinks I am talking about him when in fact was speaking of my critics in general.

3. blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is usually understood that if you quote someone as you did in post 31 of Don's post that it is addressed to them. Since you quoted Don it is reasonable for him to assume you were responding to him and is right to respond back to you with a question asking you to back up your assertion.

4. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, then, here's the question: Were you accusing me, in general, as well as others of making something up about you?

If so, then please clarify what it is you think I made up about you, so that I may have the opportunity to address your accusations, or apologize.

If not, then why did you quote me? When you've quoted others in the past, you addressed their remarks. Why shouldn't we believe that you were addressing your remarks towards me this time?

5. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve told you before that I appreciate your zeal, and I agree that what you have is rare. But I am wondering how you tend to run across these people groups. Where I live, I may run into a Jew, or a Mormon, but I can’t recall stumbling in amongst a flock. What is the demographic of Denver?

6. blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    a bit out of date but this is where it was after the 2010 census.
    Religions in Denver County, CO

7. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's mostly a progressive liberal Christian population in Denver. There are many many of these kinds of churches.

8. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best way to evangelize anyone, regardless of which religion or faith they may be of, is to know your Bible. Prayerfully "study to show yourself approved to God" (2 Timothy 2:15), by meditating on His Word (Joshua 1:8), and using all available resources to dig deep into it., with the help of the Holy Spirit, Who alone can give us a real understanding into His Word.

I do not think that Christians of today are called on to get to know all the religions of the world and what they teach, as this was not the case in the early Church. We must be rooted in the Word of God, and let the Holy Spirit use us as He sees fit, when we speak to others about the Lord Jesus Christ. I always keep Jesus at the center of what I say, as the enemy would have us argue and waste time of pointless issues. It is the truth about the Lord Jesus Christ, and what He has done for us, in providing our salvation, that is the main teaching of the entire Holy Bible.

I am shocked these days, when I see so many Christians who can hardly give a Bibilical defense on the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit. Doctrines like the Virgin Birth, Incarnation, Resurrection of Jesus, His Death on the Cross, His Sinlessness, etc , are not known as the Bible teaches, by the greater majority of believers. Even important issues like Creation, is fudged by many believers, as they simply do not know what the Bible says, and many "evangelicals" have also embraced forms of "evolution".

Bible study, not simple reading it, is crucial in all that we do and believe, so that we always can give an answer to the hope that we have (1 Peter 3:15). If we have a depth of knowledge and understanding of man's Greatest Treasure on earth, The Holy Bible, then the Holy Spirit can use us and we can become effective witnesses for Jesus Christ.

9. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the problem is with churches and Christians that try to implement programs in lieu of genuine discipleship. The problem may not be programs themselves, but a reliance on such things without ever growing independent of the method. Christians need to move away from these elementary things and at some point take the training wheels off. The gospel is not dependent on a program, nor is it's message dictated by the beliefs of the world. For some it seems the message has been usurped by the method.

10. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, well said!

11. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you get the idea that it was not the practice of the early church to understand the viewpoints of those to whom they shared the gospel message? It only makes sense for Christians to understand the language and world view of those they try to reach.

For instance, it is clear that Paul studied the beliefs of the citizens of Athens before he addressed them in Acts 17:22-23:

So Paul stood before the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I see that you are very religious in all respects. For as I went around and observed closely your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: ‘To an unknown god.’ Therefore what you worship without knowing it, this I proclaim to you.

Paul took their religious practice and history (it's a fascinating story behind why there were altars to an unknown god) and used that as a gateway to open their minds that they have missed knowing the true God. He also quoted their pagan literature (Acts 17:28) to reveal truths hidden in plain sight.

And his message was received (contrary to the way some preachers try to spin this story), with some intrigued with the gospel (Acts 17:32) and others fully committed in faith (Acts 17:33).

12. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a good point. We do bring the gospel to people "where they are". That said, I think it is one thing to address a people within their belief system (at a basic level to introduce the gospel) and to form the gospel to their belief system.

13. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    there are 100's of religions and belief's in the world today, which are in almost every Christian country, like here in England. Are you saying to be a good witness to these people, that I need to have to understand their viewpoints or beliefs? Your argument from Paul really says nothing, as what Paul says in Acts 17, is based on his personal knowledge on the Living God of the Bible, Who changed his life. He remarks that they were "religious", like most around today, but this does not show that he knew all their personal beliefs? There were religions like Hinduism, which pre-date the Christian Faith, yet I do not read anywhere in the New Testament, where we are told to get a knowledge of these "faiths" so that we could better witness to them! All of this is a waste of time.

We should spend all our time and energy in really getting to know the Lord Jesus, and His Word and we will be the best equipped to take on the world! Look at the Book of Acts, where we are told that the disciples who were unlearned people, could defend their Faith, because they knew Jesus! Likewise, Stephen in his famous speech, could not be contradicted, not because he was well-versed in the religions and customs around him, but because he spoke from the Holy Spirit.

It is that simple!

14. AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember someone who used to work for the bank of England many years ago, and I asked him how they could tell when any of the currency was not genuine. He told me that they spent many hours closely examining the genuine notes, so much so, that when they saw a fake, they could tell at once!

I have friend who was a muslim, I remember him telling me over 30 years ago, how he came to faith in Jesus Christ. He had gone out one night to hear some Youth for Christ in London, to mock them and have a laugh. A young Christian girl walked up to him and started sharing Jesus, and how He had forgiven her sins and changed her life. He started to argue from his "book", and criticize the "errors" of the Bible, to which she replied, I am sorry but I cannot answer you. But, this one thing I will tell you, that Jesus loves you very much, that He died for your sins, and if you truly repent and ask Jesus into your life, He will save you. He said that something pierced his heart, and he started to cry, and before long he accepted Jesus as His personal Saviour and Lord!

We as Christians should very deeply and closely get to know the Lord Jesus Christ, be taught by God the Holy Spirit the depths of the Holy Bible. And believe me from personal experience, that this will suffice to witness to anyone.

15. evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best post of this thread!

16. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, apparently, I'm not going to get an honest answer. But then again -- I'm not surprised.

17. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be a witness?

No.

To be a good witness?

Yes.

It certainly helps to have some basic knowledge of the other person's viewpoints so that you can find common ground from which to start. We see that in the gospels. We see that in Acts.

If you think about it, the training of missionaries today speaks exactly to this issue. We train missionaries to speak the languages of the people groups to whom they want to present the gospel. Language itself is structured by worldview and other social elements. And then, once the basic language skills are mastered, then there is training regarding the culture of the people group. After that, once the missionary is in the field, they enter into the lives - in great and small ways - of the people they meet. All of these elements involve understanding of their viewpoints and beliefs.

The way I witness to a Mormon is going to be radically different than the way I witness to an atheist. The way I witness to an occultist is going to be different than the way I witness to a Muslim. This seems obvious to me.

His personal knowledge is based on his culture and worldview, as well as the other cultures and worldviews he had encountered.

Did I make the claim that he knew "all" of their personal beliefs? No I did not.

Paul testified that he had observed some things in their culture (did you actually read the scripture you are dismissing) and he seemed to know all about the basic divisions in Greek philosophical thought, as well as the literature. To suggest otherwise is to ignore the scripture, as well as what is commonly known about ancient Greece.

Hinduism was probably not a major force in the first century context of the church that is recorded in Acts. Missionaries eventually left Jerusalem and headed east, to India and apparently even China not that long after Pentecost. You can bet that those missionaries took into account what the local people believe. It is simply part a of communication.

Not to disciples of Jesus.

They didn't stay "unlearned." Those who were not martyred early grew in knowledge. One of the reasons that some theologians have difficulty believing that John (one of The Twelve) wrote the Gospel of John is that the language and thought of that gospel is profound and reflects deep knowledge of theology and Greek philosophy. They assert that a mere uneducated fisherman could not know those things. Where they err is that they assume (like you) that a disciple of Jesus does not learn.

Well that, but also because he was in the midst of HIS OWN CULTURE AND FAITH that was persecuting him.

No.

No it's not.

18. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you CERTAIN that the man told YOU that story, or have you heard that story and are telling it in the first person?

The reason I question you on that point is that story is a common urban legend that goes around in Christian circles because it makes a good sermon illustration for pastors who don't want their theologically ignorant members from picking up bad ideas. In the US, it is always about the Secret Service - they not only guard the president, but they preserve the integrity of currency.

Sure. The Spirit works with us in all ways and times. However, if we want to be even more effective, we be good disciples (learners) of Jesus and be able to interact with as many people in our culture as possible.

If you get to know Jesus, you will also want to get to know your neighbors and understand them as you serve them. (You cannot know and follow Jesus without serving your neighbor!!) Simply put, part of serving your neighbor is to seek to understand them. There is an urgent felt need in the world to be understood and heard. Often listening carefully to someone else is the most Christian and loving thing you can do. After you have listened to someone, asking good and thoughtful questions, they will be much more open to you to share the One Who is your Teacher and Lord.

This is the most basic way of witnessing to others, but it is not a fancy sales method that twists arms and feeds the ego. It takes time and selflessness. I have been about to lead many to Christ in this fashion including atheists, religious people, a couple of self-styled satanists, a Mormon, etc. And at this time I have two Jehovah's Witness people who seek me out to have me explain the scriptures to them privately (they cannot let it get back to the organization that they are asking a non-JW to help them understand scripture), and a number of atheists/agnostics (at least six that I can think of, offhand) who know that I respect them too much to try to win an argument for my ego's sake, but want to know more about Jesus and how I came to faith in spite of being a critical thinker and knowledgeable about philosophy and science.

I have had the honor of personally leading more than 50 persons to faith (I don't actually remember how many), getting them connected with churches, and following up with discipleship where possible. I have had spiritually-significant personal witnessing conversations with hundreds more that I know God will use. Whatever I am doing, it seems to be quite effective.

19. Thomas V New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. (1 Cor 9:20).
    It's possible you might actually convert to Judaism in the process, but at least you tried to really understand and relate to them #incarnational_witness

20. Thomas V New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was a Jew. Does he remain even today a Jew?
    This question holds relevance because many today consider the Jewish nation and Jews in general as irrelevant.
    Some believers forget that Jesus was Jewish in 1st century Palestine, thus fomenting a barrage of cultural studies into the culture of Jesus’ original setting. His Jewish heritage certainly colored his many sayings and doings.

Logically, if on this earth you are an American, will you still be an American in the life to come?
    Paul says that our citizenship is in heaven, so it is easy to assume that nationalities will be a thing of the past, of Adam’s fallen race.
    We might consider Jesus’ Jewishness not only in national terms, but also in terms of race.
    That said, if a new race and nationality are established through Jesus’ kingship nullifying his own earthly kinship ties, His followers likewise should consider their imminent and eternal change in status.

This should influence how we see ourselves as citizens of a country, or inheritors of certain racial traits.
    This should also open us up to be able to truly relate to others, by dying to what we consider essential to ourselves.

21. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that it would be irrelevant (Galatians 3:28). Jesus is certainly still human (although exalted in His resurrection body), but those old differences are meaningless. At the same time, He certainly is not white European with blue eyes either.

America (as in, United States citizenship) is an earthly kingdom that will be made to pass away in the presence of the kingdom of God.