Women's authority over men?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ajg1959, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ajg1959 New Member

1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Tts 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

I am curious here......many on here support Hillary for president, but dont think a woman should be a pastor. many on here say that the man is the head of the household, but would elect a woman to run our entire country...???????

Which is it? If a woman should not run your household or church, is it ok for her to run a whole country?

I believe the scriptures, and think that Hillary should take care of her family, and not mine.

I am not putting down a woman's role in life.....my wife is a true blessing and she loves rasing our son and taking care of the home. It is a very important job, and even if I could do it at all, I am sure that I couldnt do it as weel as she does.

Still.....should we submit ourselves to the authority of a woman as president?

AJ

2. ccrobinson Active Member

Does the Bible speak about women having positions of authority in a secular government, or does it speak only about women in positions of authority in the church?

3. preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This would have been my exact point, though said better than I could. We can't force an ecclesiological distinction into secular realms.

Don't forget other examples of women in leadership of government. I would willingly except a woman in governmental leadership. :)

4. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes...the judge of Israel, Deborah.

5. Jon-Marc New Member

Does not the word "usurp" means to take by force? If a woman wins the presidency because she was voted in, is it wrong? Personally, I think some of Paul's teachings are a bit outdated and old-fashioned. Women actually are allowed to vote and work outside the home--even own a business and be the boss over men. Is it right? I have no idea, but I don't think a woman could do any worse as a president than what we've had lately. I've had male and female supervisors and liked very few of them.

6. rbell Active Member

Paul is referring to the church. We're not voting for Hillary as pastor.

(I'll let you make your own joke there).

So.....no, I see no problem theologically with a woman president.

7. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    Hillary could not control Bill when she was in office before? Do we really think he will be on a leash if he is there again?

8. readmore New Member

Plus, where does it end? Can women own companies? Take leadership positions such as CEO or be on the board of directors?

On the flip side, can women lead a church congregation in prayer? Direct men in a choir?

9. donnA Active Member

The bible is outdated and old fashioned?

10. pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not voting for Hillary, but if the country elects her, I'll have no problem showing respect for her as the elected president, either.

I will have a real, big problem if she's not President Hillary Clinton, but Pastor Hillary Clinton.

(But, I think I like Condi :smilewinkgrin: ....and how about the current Ambassadress to the Philippines, she's doing a good job, too, from what I hear....come to think of it, the call center manager at the call center I worked in was great, she kept our call center on top dog position nationwide for a long time...)

11. TLB New Member

i don't have a problem with Hilary being in the white house...but that is not to say that she has my vote.

12. Magnetic Poles New Member

Where Paul was writing, he was living in a different society, and his words reflect the social mores of his time. I have no problem with a woman President, pastor, boss, CEO, teacher, song leader, or any other job. Separate but equal isn't equal in race OR gender!

13. nunatak New Member

Be mothers? wives?

lol, jk

14. Amy.G New Member

Find something in the refrigerator that her husband has been staring at for 5 minutes but can't see it?

We are multi-talented! :smilewinkgrin:

15. Hopeful New Member

:thumbs: :laugh: :laugh:

16. EdSutton New Member

Language Cop says he would very happily and willingly "except" Sen. Hillary Clinton in governmental leadership! :thumbs:

And should she get the Presidential nomination of the Democrats,

he will very likely vote to do that very thing, by voting for another.

'Cause it seems like he ain't too thrilled over the prospects of having to "accept" her! :(

Ed

17. EdSutton New Member

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=verdana,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]

Great line!

Unfortunately however, sadly, the gent may do got a point! :tear:

Ed
    [/FONT]

18. The Scribe New Member

Exactly

Outdated? UM, no.

Just because the government says something is right doesn't make it right for a Christian.

19. D28guy New Member

readmore,

Yes.

Yes

Yes

Yes.

And I'll add..

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

The scriptural testimony we have allows all of those.

Having said all of that, I wouldnt vote for Hillary Clinton under any circumstances, but it would have nothing to do with her being a woman.

God bless,

Mike

20. readmore New Member

I agree with all up to the point of being a Pastor. Can you be more specific about the scriptural testimony that allows for this?