1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would You Give An Altar Call At A Funeral?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tyndale1946, May 11, 2019.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I imagine if messengers showed up at the annual convention with a snoot full, they would get thrown out.

2. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I checked the "rules." Nothing there.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're correct about the 2019 state of affairs. However, before Modernism and Liberalism flooded the Northern Baptist movement and Convention, it was just as strong. Further, back in the day, the Northern Baptist Home Missionary Society and its Southern Baptist counterpart came to a gentlemen's agreement dividing up the US into spheres of influence. They didn't want to be planting churches across the street from each other. California was open to both sides.

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

5. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EWF, just saw the thread about your wife's cancer surgery. I pray all is well. Even though the above exchange was fruitful, had I known about your wife, I would not have had it at this time. (There is no SBC rule book, only the "Faith and Message". Whether or not Church members can drink is up to each individual church.)

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks and in all honesty my mind was on her. My God graces us yesterday and I’m thankful... God has blessed us richly ... all the glory is His

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm, is that why the SBC has not had influence up here... because of a past gentleman’s agreement?!? Is God to be so trivialized that the Word is not emphased in favor of territorial boundaries... forgive me but all I can see is Roman Soldiers playing dice for Christ’s garments.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC has divvied up New Jersey between its Pennsylvania and New York state Conventions. Southern NJ got appended to Pennsylvania, while New York got the northern part of NJ.

9. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you must believe (be saved according to Jesus) or you would not decide.

10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who "go forward" already believe (are saved according to Jesus) or they would not go forward.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To do what, certainly not to plant churches.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yea they would... it’s a nice warm and fuzzy & it gets attention. What I would like to know is can these folks give regeneration testimony, of desire to be reborn, of shame for past sin etc and is there any substantial follow up discipleship?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must decide to believe.

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you didn't already believe, you would not consider it.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The agreement came about when both orgs were solid. It wasn't a matter of trivialization. It was a matter of wisely spending the Lord's resources. Also, the wounds of the late unpleasantries were still open and the SBC until recently was very much Southern.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC May move into these independent churches but will they remain there... the independent communities will eventually throw them out after they find the grass isn’t any greener.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree... but let’s approach it like this. When confronted with God, the mind of a sinner never thinks that Gods way is good. The will is free to choose God. Nothing is stopping it. But the mind does not regard the submission to and the service of God as desirable. Rather, it turns from God, even when the gospel is presented. It turns away because it doesn’t want God to be sovereign over it. It doesn’t consider the righteousness of God to be the way of personal fulfillment & happiness. It doesn’t want its sinfulness exposed.

The way the sinners mind chooses is actually the way of alienation and misery, the end of which is death. But human beings think that sin is best. Therefore, unless God changes the way we think—-which he does by the miracle of the new birth—our minds always tell us to turn from God.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see walking the aisle as a first step. It should be followed up by extensive discipleship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Somewhat relevant to the OP. I attended a funeral yesterday and one of the preachers said that every funeral should include three things: acknowledge grief, make the hope of the gospel clear, and call to respond to the gospel. In the first one thing he referenced is that Christians do sorrow, not just as others who have no hope. He seemed to include or understand that comments about the deceased were part of acknowledging grief. With the "call to respond to the gospel" he apparently did not mean an altar call -- he didn't give one -- but just that the sermon would call those who just heard the gospel to their need to respond to it.

20. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's pretty much what my pastor and my brother did Monday at my father's committal service.

• Winner Winner x 1