1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Would you receive sprinkling?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rlvaughn, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read an article today in the Biblical Evangelist about the editor's church which caught on fire in 1951 one afternoon and burned to the ground.

The church was having a revival that week and were planning on baptizing about 20 new believers that night. The cause of the fire--the baptismal heater malfunctioned!

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Until today, I had never heard of T. J. Conant or his book that was first published in 1860—when Greek lexicography was still in the dark ages!

By the early 1900’s, the new studies in the lexicography of Koine Greek had become so great in number and significance that Erwin Preuschen published his Greek-German lexicon in 1910. Upon his death in 1920, the revision of his lexicon was entrusted to Walter Bauer and this revision was published in 1928 as the second edition. In 1930, James Hope Mouton and George Milligan independently published The Vocabulary of the Greek Testament. A thoroughly revised edition of the Preuschen lexicon was published in 1937 with only Bauer’s name on the title page. Bauer realized, however, that his lexicon, although a huge improvement over Thayer’s in terms of accuracy and completeness, needed to be thoroughly revised and updated and therefore undertook a thorough search of all Greek literature down to the Byzantine times to determine more precisely the meaning of the words found in the New Testament. This resulted in the publication of the monumental work, Griechisch-Deutsches Wörterbuch zu den Schriften des Neuen Testaments und der übrigen urchristlichen Literatur in 1949-1952. An English translation (by William F. Arndt and F. Wilbur Gingrich) of this lexicon was published by the University of Chicago in 1957 with the title, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Early Christian Literature and became widely known as the “Bauer, Arndt, and Gingrich Lexicon.” A second edition was published by the University of Chicago in 1979. A thorough revision by Frederick William Danker was published by the University of Chicago in 2000. It is very commonly referred to simply as the “BDAG” and this name appears on the title page in parenthesis below the full title.

When I referred you to the BDAG lexicon, it was to this lexicon, specifically pages 164-165.

The Greek Ante-Nicene Church Fathers certainly knew how the word βαπτίζω was used in the New Testament, and the BDAG lexicon documents that understanding. To be specific, they understood the word βαπτίζω to mean virtually the same thing that it does in the Septuagint—that is, “washing to make something clean.” Therefore, they understood water baptism to be God’s means of washing away the sins of the truly repentant sinner—either by immersion or affusion. However, it is widely agreed by today’s scholars that the most common mode of baptism in the Ante-Nicene Church was immersion, probably because immersion does a more thorough job of washing than does pouring. This also explains, of course, why they believed that one’s baptism should be performed in running rather than standing water.

3. Craigbythesea

No, I am not. I am thinking of the very early Baptists who came out of the Anglican Church in England, and continued, for a short time, to baptize by affusion rather than immersion.

As for the rest of your post, I have already addressed your concerns.

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek fathers knew that βαπτίζω means to 'immerse' and Baptists may be entirely confident that immersion is the Biblical form of baptism. I quoted four Church Fathers earlier, each of whom plainly held that baptism involved immersion and none of whom held that the word meant cleansing.

In case four isn't sufficient, here is Basil the Great (On Baptism, Book 1, Chap 2, 10 ), commenting on Rom 6:3:
    "We were baptized (Gk. Baptizo ), says he, in order that from it we might learn this: that as wool dipped (Gk. Baptizo) in a dye is changed as to its colour; or rather (using John the Baptist as a guide, when he prophesied of the Lord, “He will baptize (Gk. Baptizo) you in the Holy Spirit and fire”)….let us say this: that as steel, immersed (Gk. Baptizo) in the fire kindled up by spirit (wind), becomes more easy to test whether it has any fault, and more ready for being refined;…..so it follows and is necessary, that he who is immersed (Gk. Baptizo) in fire (that is the word of instruction, which convicts of the evil of sin and shows the grace of justification) should hate and abhor unrighteousness, as it is written, and should desire to be cleansed though faith in the power of the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ."
    Whether the person baptized, the wool, the steel, the text refers to something being placed into a substance and then withdrawn; in other words, immersion.

Having said that, the fact that βαπτίζω does indeed mean 'immerse' should not cause us to make baptism into a shibboleth. As I wrote earlier, God looks at the heart, and those who for one reason or another cannot endure baptism by immersion should not be denied full participation in the church if their heart is right with God.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what those who insist on the old “washing to make something clean” mantra seem to fail to understand is that every home did not have running water in the kitchen, bathroom, and utility room.

In order to wash clothes they immersed those clothes in a washtub, or a stream, or a river, or a lake.

In order to wash dishes they immersed those dishes in a tub or basin.

In order to wash their hands (remember, no water running out of the tap) they immersed their hands in the basin full of water. :)

6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Streams, rivers, and lakes are nice, but mikvehs were probably a lot more handy.

[​IMG]

Photo credit: Yours Truly :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They also remove the baptism from symbolic and make it as conditional to some extension of God's grace or "in obedience to His command."

I recall carrying water to the wood stove to heat it for washing. What was interesting was the communal bathing. One tub of water would last for all the children, then another tub for the mom and dad. Bathing was about as exciting as traveling through the winter snow to go potty. What a day of rejoicing when the pipe was laid from the lake to the kitchen hand pump.

Still do. We rarely use the dishwasher. With what very few dishes we use, it is just cheaper and easier to fill a pan or one part of the sink to wash and then rinse.

I have a friend who tells the story of visiting the grandparents after they were married. It was a small house, and so they all bunked in the single bedroom. During the night the bed chamber pot was used by the grandmother. They could hardly keep from giggling like two teenagers.

There are times for sprinkling and times for immersion. :)

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The time for sprinkling is when you are putting the sugar sprinkles on your donut. The time for immersion is when you are being scripturally baptized. :)

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or
    The time for immersion is when you dunk that doughnut into your coffee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Craigbythesea

Basil was not one of the Ante-Nice Church Fathers. Therefore, his writings are irrelevant to our discussion. However, may I ask you what website you quoted from?

11. Craigbythesea

Cyril of Jerusalem, John Chrysostom, Athanasius, and Gregory of Nazianus were not Ante-Nicene Church Fathers.

12. Craigbythesea

Please familiarize yourself with the proper use of the word ‘mantra’. Please also familiarize yourself with the culture of the Mediterranean peoples during the Hellenistic period so that you can avoid posting nonsense and making Baptists look like intellectually challenged baboons.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize for using a word you did not understand. Here is the definition:

man·tra
    ˈmantrə
    noun
    (originally in Hinduism and Buddhism)

1. a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation.
    2. a Vedic hymn.
    3. a statement or slogan repeated frequently.

synonyms: slogan, motto, maxim, catchphrase, catchword, watchword, byword, buzzword, tag (line).

14. Craigbythesea

The Ante-Nicene Church Fathers typically baptized by immersion, but the Roman Catholic Church decided that the sacrament of water baptism should be performed scripturally, and the Anglican Church, the Lutheran Church, the Methodist Church, the Presbyterian church, the Church of the Nazarene, and many other churches have followed suit (with some small variations).

For a detailed scriptural defense of affusion rather than immersion, please see here:

http://www.imarc.cc/baptize/waswift.html

As I have previously posted, I am a Baptist, and my church baptizes candidates for baptism by immersion whenever doing so is reasonably possible—which is about 98% of the time. However, my church clearly recognizes the fact that we Baptists are in a small minority in our interpretation of the Scriptures pertaining to water baptism, and therefore my church does not withhold membership to applicants for membership who were baptized by affusion or aspersion rather than immersion.

15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which makes your church an outlier. And don't expect my church to recognize baptisms from yours. Brother Cassidy and I would (I believe) both hold that Scriptural NT baptism demands:
    • Proper meaning.
    • Proper mode.
    From my POV, much of the discussion arises because of folks holding baptism as a sacrament rather than as an ordinance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Craigbythesea

I know much more than the dictionary definitions of the word, and I know how Cassidy used the word in his post—and that use was malicious, slanderous, and sinful to the core. Such behavior among those who present themselves as being Christians deeply saddens me because such behavior brings disgrace to the Christian faith and destroys its influence!

17. Craigbythesea

If the practices of my church were not much more closely in line with the Scriptures than are many other Baptist churches, I would be deeply ashamed. Moreover, if the Scriptures are so poorly worded that no one could understand them until some Christians called Baptists came along in the 17th century and explained them, the Scriptures were written by a pack of fools with ridiculously poor writing skills! But—that is not at all the case! The Scriptures were so very well written that the very large majority of the Church has been able, from the beginning, to understand them when the individual Christians read them for themselves—thus testifying to their inspiration by the Lord God.

I do not presume to know the proper meaning of the word βαπτίζω just because I am a Baptist; and I do not presume to know the proper mode of baptism just because I am a Baptist. As I have posted before, nothing, absolutely nothing is more important to me than the truth—not my wife, not my children, not my dog, not my job, and not my life! Absolutely nothing is more important to me than the truth. And if that means putting aside one or two non-scriptural Baptist traditions—so be it.

18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have talked about ante-Nicene fathers, I haven't. I have talked about Church Fathers.
    I have taken all the quotations from the book by Conant that I mentioned. Fine book! I recommend it to you.

19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who believe that God is displeased if a Baptist church recognizes a mode of baptism other than immersion, do you think God is displeased when modern American Baptist churches substitute grape juice for wine in communion?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You actually think this is a legitimate comparison?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.