1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yep, those TSA pat-downs are really working....

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Don, Dec 29, 2010.

1. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes. They could. I expect people would then complain about the dogs.

2. targus

targus New Member

I think that they should use dogs too.

But could you imagine the outcry if they did?

Immediately comparisons would be made to police dogs being used against the civil rights marchers.

Tell me that you would not object to a police dog sniffing your crotch while you are in line at the airport.

First of all the scanner image is not "naked"

Secondly, the security people at the scanner don't see the image.

A person in another room sees the image on a screen - but cannot see the actual person being screened.

How many people crying about the scanners also go to the beach dressed in much less - for the whole world to see in person?

The scanner complaints of "naked" are idiotic.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I too have the same feelings on this, but it is clear that there are large numbers of people who are willing to forgo certain personal rights and freedoms for convenience. It has always been that way, but the problem is that when it reaches a point where most freedoms and rights are lost, and it will because governments want total control, then it becomes almost impossible to reverse the losses.

4. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

:thumbs:

AMEN! Drove the last two "Business" trips. Plan to do so for immediate future...

5. SpiritualMadMan

The deputy that was highlighted in the news report I saw, at the time, indicated they were complete rounds and, apparently, one bullet tip had struck the primer of another, hard.

He also mentioned several other rounds going off "sympathetically".

(Of course for all we know it really was a bomb made of black powder by a Government Plant to justify the TSA! I mean everything the Government "officially" discloses, especially by TSA or any one cleared by them is **highly** suspect.)

To me, a hand-gunner who last flew a year ago, the only thing that made sense was loose rounds in the bags. Ie., not packed for rough handling or any other kind of safe travel.

I keep my rounds in the tray they come packaged in. And, ensure that *nothing* heavy or sharp can come in contact with them.

This person apparently had too much familiarity and a total lack of respect for the ammo. This happens with "some" people that get away with being stupid long enough until it catches up with them and they loose a hand, an eye or their life.

Maybe I am too new at being a hand-gunner? I don't know. But, niether my weapon or my ammo is a toy and I treat them with respect.

I haven't SNOPED this. I had seen one instance where live rounds were thrown in a 55 gallon burn drum where a fatality occurred when a round went off. Yes a freak accident, with just the right set of weird circumstances... But, I did have one (stupid) friend that thought it was great fun to throw .22 rounds at the deck and hear the go off... Broke a few windows... Not sure if he ever got hit.

6. SpiritualMadMan

NO, but Ramp Access Personnell could be forced to keep their tools and such inside the Security Zone after it was initially screened in.

As it is *ANY* Ramp access card, even a stolen one, allows a person to bring *ANYTHING* in or out of the RAMP Secure zone WITHOUT *ANY* Screening or oversight.

True there are probably cameras at most, if not all, entry points, *BUT* if they miss handguns in carryons while standing right there face to face...

Do you really think they are bothering to "see" what goes in and out those ramp access doors every minute?

I don't!

And, don't forget that a teenager died stowing away on the way to Boston not that long ago...

7. SpiritualMadMan

I was raised, obviously, with a *lot* more modesty than you. To *ME* it *IS* a big deal...

I almost lost my job because I refused to have my physical done by a female practitioner. They finally compromised and allowed my to pay my own physician.

So, no I do NOT think the complaints are idiotic...

8. targus

targus New Member

There comes a point at which the degree of "modesty" ceases to be virtue and becomes something else.

Whatever it is that you feel towards me by way of your self judged superior modesty - Muslim women in burkas probably feel towards people like yourself as obviously they were raised with a lot more modesty than you. :smilewinkgrin:

Completely different.

I have seen the pictures of the scans...

They do nothing for me.

If you find them to be provacative there may be something wrong with you.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I would like to propose a nice solution.

With our great capacity to invent great machines, let's invent a machine that detonates explosive devices, then insert that machine in a bomb-proof container.

Scan each passenger for metal objects in the normal non-invasive way that has worked for decades. Then make each passenger walk through the container on the way to the boarding ramp. If it goes "poomp" and the red light comes on, signal for a clean-up in container #4.

Same for baggage heading to the cargo hold... :thumbs:

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only problem with the body scanners is that scientists disagree on the radiation dosage. The TSA put up a disclaimer indicating that it's safe; however, other scientists state that 1) it doesn't take into account that this type of scanner doesn't penetrate the skin, therefore isn't like a standard x-ray, and may actually be bombarding the skin with a much greater dosage than we realize; 2) there are two types of scanners, and some scientists don't agree that the exposure is completely within the toleration limits that TSA has stated.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But again, folks, the problem is not with flying, or even baggage or body scans.

Does the government have the right to search you as if they had probable cause/reasonable suspicion?

12. billwald

billwald New Member

It is probably an assumed consent matter similar to breath tests and drunk driving. There is no constitutional right to drive a car or be in an airport.

13. SpiritualMadMan

Which is why it is so important to excersize what rights we have left and NOT fly at all...

When the Airlines bottom lines are adequately affected they will either go belly up, or the TSA will "suddenly" find another way...

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm not sure a boycott of flying, which will mainly hurt the remaining airlines and not TSA, will be all that beneficial. TSA agents will just be reassigned to the next most popular mode of transportation.

15. SpiritualMadMan

You may be right... Unfortunately.

And, even worse it might be playing into the enviro-whackos hands, too.

But, I simply can't stomach going through such a screening process as niether my prudishness or blood pressure would handle it...

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine just went through all this - for some reason she was actually singled out to be patted down even though she went through the screening (she thinks that the thing that detects fumes might have been triggered because she had just done her nails). She said that it was NOT groping at all - that a woman TSA agent brought her into a private room and took forever to explain the pat-down to her. She said "I had to stand there with my arms out, then hold my hair out of the way, and she checked under the collar of my shirt, patted down arms and sides , circled around my chest area with the back of her hand, ran the back of her hand up the inside of my legs, and ran her hand around the waistband of my jeans. I wear low rise pants so that may have been the most invasive of all the procedures, but even that was not uncomfortable or anything, she was wearing gloves as well. Then, they took swabs of my stuff, took that somewhere, and then checked my bags. Was it slightly annoying? Yes. Was it at all inappropriate or involve any "groping?" Not at all. There is absolutely no "cupping," "fondling," or any of the other words used when it comes to the pat down. It was simply that, a pat down. "

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill, you have to use equal comparisons if you're going to bring up such stuff. Who are the federal traffic cops? Or are driving laws different from state to state, and enforced by state and lower level law enforcement?

-----
    This isn't about a right to fly; You have no right to fly, no right to drive, etc.

This is about your constitutionally protected right against unwarranted search-and-seizure.

Are you aware that Napolitano is now considering implementing similar measures at railroads, and even hotels? Couple that with the increase in traffic cameras.

Look, I consider Poncho to be a conspiracy theory nut; yet I know how most of you are perceiving my posts, and the stuff I've written here. Please just give it a few minutes of consideration.

Our movement around this country is being increasingly monitored in slow, small steps.

You know how to boil a frog?

18. billwald

billwald New Member

>This is about your constitutionally protected right against unwarranted search-and-seizure.

Then don't into airline-leased property. The airlines pay big money to use airport property. It is a property right issue. If I rent an apartment I might not want you to carry a bomb inside "my" rented apartment.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I often wonder why we are so angry at our own government and the airline industry, when in fact, the reason we have to undergo such treatment is largely due to terrorist activity. Let's place the anger where it belongs.

It has now come to the point where the bullying of terrorists is just that -- bullying. All they have to do is leak some bit of information and BANG, we're right on checking everyone for that. They have to be sitting back in the caves, stinking like the back side of a goat, and laughing the towels off of their greasy hair.

What a great way to bring a once-great nation to her knees... :BangHead:

20. targus

targus New Member

To her knees?

Hardly.

Even with security checks at airports - our everyday freedoms are so far above the muslim world that theirs seem non-existent by comparison.

And actually for a large portion of that population freedom is non-existent.