Your Confession of Faith...Let's see it!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jul 6, 2013.

1. preacher4truth Active Member

Since you've done so 'many times over' give an example here. It's interesting that to do so now is such a dreadful task.

2. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman

yes but that was not what the op was about.
    perhaps you should try it,then you will not post as many errors

the thing is I asked aLL of you scripture only guys to show what you have got on it.

I can offer some verses on it.
    You and all the otherr scripture only guys cannot do much with it so you make excuses

ok.....
    Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Jeremiah 10:23
    O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

:wavey:

3. Winman Active Member

I love the way you call us "scripture only guys". I take that as a great compliment.

You can barely type.

I could write out a very detailed creed, but I am not going to do so. I have been showing what I believe in my own words showing scripture since I came to BB. And you KNOW that to be a fact.

Not a single one of those many verses says man is unable to believe.

If man were unable to believe, then Jesus would not have needed to warn his disciples not to believe false doctrine.

Mar 13:21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:

Don't you think it would be a little silly and unnecessary for Jesus to warn the disciples not to do something they were unable to do? :laugh:

4. preacher4truth Active Member

winman says

And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 2 Corinthians 4:3-4

Maybe right there perhaps?

I wonder who allowed this to happen?

No person on the face of the earth can believe the Gospel outside the power of God, for it is by His power we believe Eph. 1:19, and, faith comes from His Word, Romans 10:17. I was surprised yesterday to even hear Adrian Rogers state this and preach this.

All you've done winman since day one and in this thread is show your misunderstandings of Scripture on a consistent basis. You're like a concordance, you know where the verses are but we all know a concordance can't interpret them.

5. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for this helpful post.The image of the concordance gets right to it:thumbs: He thinks because he mentions a verse that it is helpful even when the verse has no real application to the topic.

2 cor 4 is a massive section of scripture and demonstrates the utter inability of the natural man to see biblical truth,apart from God regenerating him.

6. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman

Before you pat yourself on the back understand that I am only using that term to identify those here on BB who pride themselves wrongly with a term they think covers up there actions and makes them feel superior.
    The reality is...you are not scripture only, but you are Winman only, or Dhk, only,

Correct...that is all the more reason for me to cut and paste:thumbs: My lack of typing ability does not make me a bad person does it?

Please do not....I was just looking for a sample.

Thankfully:wavey:
    Oh yes...I do....:BangHead:

The verses offered need to be understood for you to see it...in other words,,when Jesus says you must, or you cannot, that is what he meant.

Men are responsible...
    [/QUOTE]

His warning was instructive

7. Winman Active Member

Wow, I bet I won't be able to sleep tonight worried about what you think of me. :laugh:

I don't feel superior because I believe the scriptures, I just believe the scriptures are all we need to be mature believers.

2 Tim 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Paul said that from a child Timothy had known the holy scriptures which are ABLE to make a person wise unto salvation. Paul said that the scriptures provide everything we need that the man of God might be perfect.

You believe like the Catholics that a person cannot understand the scriptures, but must be taught by the clergy.

Your lack of skill does not make you bad, but you probably shouldn't lecture others who have far more skill in the scriptures than you do (which is almost everybody here at BB).

You copy and paste because you do not know the scriptures yourself. If you did, you would not be a Calvinist.

Oh, don't worry, I am not going to write out a creed on principle. I have been expressing my own beliefs in my own words here for over four years, always supported by scripture. You are the one who copies and pastes what others have written for you. And as you only listen to Reformed teachers, you cannot see any other view.

Be careful, you might break that brick wall with your hard head.

Jesus did not say one word about man being unable to believe. You are inserting your presupposition into scripture. He said unless a person is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. But if you read a few verses further Jesus explains that a person must believe to be born again. You teach the very opposite, you teach that a person must be born again to believe.

Jhn 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jesus compared the new birth to when the children of Israel were bitten by fiery serpents in the wilderness. All they had to do was look or trust on the brass serpent that Moses sat on a pole. And twice Jesus said you have to believe to be born again or have life.

Num 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
    9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Faith is always based on a promise of God. God told Moses to set a brass serpent on a pole. "Every one" and "any man" who looked upon this brass serpent would be healed of the fatal bite. "Every one" and "any man" could easily look and be saved. Likewise, "every one" and "any man" can trust Jesus Christ and be saved from their sins.

I bet none of your Reformed teachers you depend on have ever taught you this, and so you are ignorant that "every one" and "any man" can believe.

That is the price for letting other people think for you. Of course, I understand your natural limitations.

Yes, and the word "responsible" literally means "able to respond". Your ignorance would be laughable if it were not so tragic.

His warning showed that man can believe. Of course, you will make the ridiculous argument that men can only believe error.

The scripture shown by P4T does not prove inability, it actually refutes it. If men were unable to believe the word of God, then there would be no need for Satan to blind them.

If men were unable to understand and believe, Jesus said they would not be guilty of sin.

Jhn 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

If Total Inability were true (it is not) then men would have no sin. God does not hold someone unable to understand his word responsible. This is why a little baby, or a mentally retarded person is not guilty of sin. It is because men can know of God and understand that they are without excuse.

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

God said that what may be known of God is manifest in all men, because God has "shewed" it to them. God said these invisible things are "clearly seen" and "being understood" so that men are "without excuse".

Total Inability is pure error.

8. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do a search. I have posted over 30,000 times across a span of 13 years while on this board on virtually ever topic. I am sure you can find what you are looking for if you try hard enough.
    If I am to be refuted by some Confession of Faith I want no part or parcel in this game.

I consider those who continuously quote from Confessions et. al., on their way to denying the authority of Scripture (sola scriptura), if they haven't done it already. As a Catholic I believed in the inspiration of the Bible. It was held in high esteem. But to quote doctrine it was the Catechism that was always referred to. I don't see any difference here. What we have is "Catholicized Baptists."
    I want no part of it!

9. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

Most Christians would welcome anything that offered correction to a teaching they held in error. The goal is to be faithful to Scripture.Not worry about "being refuted".

This is an irrational fear.The quotes and links offer more scripture than you can handle.

Because mormons and jws use bibles does that mean we should not?

10. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
    --Paul commended the Bereans--but not because they searched their confessions.

11. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman

While we can and do learn,teachers are given for a purpose.One purpose is to protect from the error of self styled teachers like you who invent new and false ideas.
    In all the posts you have offered I have not seen one that I would "cut and paste":laugh:...no...not one instead of those I do post.

I lack typing skills.

I am not lecturing anyone...you are welcome to your opinion:wavey:

:laugh:

Actually...having been effectually drawn to truth there is no option but to believe it and act upon it.

T

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you her on the Bible ALONE is to be our ONLY guide to all doctrines/practices, and our statement of faith is in a book wriiten by senior pastor almost 250 pages thick!

Still see no problem with out Reform bethren having their creeds/confessions, bit would think they should not be desiring to put tht on all of us baptists!

13. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't have anything against them using a Confession for their own reference. But don't impose it on me. This is a debate forum. Discuss your own ideas.

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also share that feeling, that sometimes our reformed bethren want to have us respond to their use and quotes of the Confesions, not the Bible!

Do think we both would agree that its OK to use them in church and private studies to assist one to form theology, but not to "overuse' them!

15. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

16. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

17. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make a good confession.

18. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Don't need one.
    Did the Apostle Paul carry a confession around in his hip pocket on his three missionary journeys. Confessions are needless replacements for the Word of God.

19. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus made one. :

"...Christ Jesus,who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession...(NIV2011)

20. Robert Snow New Member

Do you think Jesus Christ quoted a Creed to Pilate?