1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Your Opinions on Albert Mohler?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven Yeadon, May 15, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite obviously it is. Pulpit and Pen and such-like seem to spend all their time criticizing others. That gets tiresome, but doesn't mean there can be no valid criticism in what is written by Dunn about Mohler. If (and that needs to be verified) Mohler attacks errors in other groups while having only "gentle criticism" for his own group, that might ought to give pause and a question about what he is doing.

2. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point, I am reminded of Galatians 2:11-21, which I am now reading with new eyes.

Galatians 2:11-21
    11 When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.

14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all,
    “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

15 “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in[d] Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

17 “But if, in seeking to be justified in Christ, we Jews find ourselves also among the sinners, doesn’t that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! 18 If I rebuild what I destroyed, then I really would be a lawbreaker.

19 “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”[e]
    If Paul was so forthright with his objections to Peter, the leader of the apostles of all people, then we should be forthright with our objections. Boldness and courage it seems are virtues when dealing with errant doctrine.

Somehow this is also a gentle rebuke by Paul to Peter. Given 2 Timothy 2:25-26:

25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

#22 Steven Yeadon, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018