1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your view on Catholics

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Fignar, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are attributing attributes only God has to man...that's scary. Humans in Heaven never stop being human.

2. targus

targus New Member

What is your Scriptural basis for this statement?

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, you're implying that I have. I'm saying that we are still human placed in a circumstance of being outside space time. Which you have no idea what that is like since you've never experienced it. neither do I. Nor am I saying it will happen but I've concluded that being outside space time both space and time are irrelevant. Keep up please.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scriptural basis for what? Are you implying humans will become some other sort of creation like reincarnation?!? We are created as humans, and will remain as humans. I would think that should be common sense.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Read the Book of Revelation. John was taken to heaven. He was led to different places and scenes by an angel. He was not omni-present. He had to be shown things. Things had to be explained to him. So it will be when we get to heaven. Omniscience and omnipresence are attributes that belong only to God. Attributing them to another is making that "other" a god, and it is blasphemy. God will not give his glory to another.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    See you're making the same mistake. I'm not saying that we have God's attributes but that God reveals those things to us but space and time are really irrelevant to our experience because outside of space time I can pray for each person who has ever existed and ever will exist with out constraints of time or space. I can pray for Adam before he was created. How because I'm outside space time. Get the meaning. I'm not saying this is what will happen but I think its the consept being purported.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No you cannot.
    First, Adam has no need of prayer. What is done is done. All the intercession in the world will never change the curse. You cannot change the curse even outside of time. This philosophical thinking of yours the Bible calls vain imaginations, and the Bible warns to stay away from it.

Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wasn't really talking about the Law or genealogies. But space time. I'm just saying not being constricted by leads to all sorts of possibilities that doesn't necessitate God like qualities. However, I'm not suggesting I can change the outcome of the world it already is. The point is one of regulation of the person who passes on to heaven.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't say you were speaking of genealogies. That was only one thing mentioned in that list. You are reading far too much into the Bible. You are speculating about things you know not, getting very close to gnosticism.
    Here is another Scripture to ponder on:

1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

It says that we shall be like him. We won't be gods. We won't have the attributes of God. But in some ways we will be like Christ. For example we will have resurrected bodies. Just in the fact that we will have resurrected bodies gives us the idea that we will be confined by space. The fact that there is a Millennial Kingdom and a Second Coming yet to come give us an aspect of time. Don't read into things that are not there.

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree it is speculation. In fact that is my problem with the catholic church. Much relies on speculation.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then whether debating a Mormon, Catholic, J.W. or any other, make the assertion that everything must be from the Bible.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Even in the OT, it was their only authority.

12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I just read that the pope whipped himself with a belt and slept on the floor as penance. I thank God that I don't have to do things like that (or worse) to attone for my sins since Jesus paid the price for me.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are you serious???????:tear:

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not saying we have to do that, but I can't help but wonder if, well, maybe we'd have a greater appreciation for Christ's sacrifice if we did.

A little off topic, but I remember a lot of people on this bb being upset with "The Passion of the Christ" because it "reminded them too much" of the crucifixion. Perhaps we need to be reminded more to appreciate it more.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But do we need to abuse the temple to do so?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, but at 30 pages we do need to close this thread.
    Please do not feel free to open another, as there is a similar one already open. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.