1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Zechariah - Christ centred prophecy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Covenanter, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bearing in mind that the same Hebrew word goyim is used for nations & Gentiles, we can start with the promises to Abram:
    Gen. 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
    Zec. 2:11 And many nations H1471 shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee.
    Isa. 11:12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, H1471 and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.
    Isa. 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, H1471 that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

Your statement is strictly correct, in that plural the nations (goyim) refers to the gentile nations. (goyim goyim), whereas the singular refers to Israel or a specific nation. [Please don't correct my Hebrew tenses - I'm using Strong for the word search but do not know Hebrew.]

For this study, notice Zec. 2:
    11 And many nations H1471 shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee.
    In God's sight the believing nations become my people though I do not think whole nations are referred to, but believers out of the nations. And of course, we will not be attacking Jerusalem - heavenly or earthly, spiritual or carnal. As God's people, citizens of heavenly Jerusalem, we suffer attacks from the nations,

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All nations assemble to attack Israel, and then their deliver/messiah comes to save and redeem them in the end!

3. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prophets Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi have a particular relevance as they are after the return from exile. Also the circumstances of their prophecies are recorded in Ezra and Nehemiah.

We've had lots of discussions in the past year, so it will be instructive to continue.

4. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. They certainly do have a relevance. I believe that any one who wants to seriously tackle Zechariah ought to study all of the exilics and post-exilics together; the three prophetic and three historic books (Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther). I had written, saying quite a bit of this a few years back. In fact, my introduction to Nehemiah and Ezra, as it appears in the New Covenant Bible has been uploaded here in this board. (At least I think I uploaded it here).

One of the most common mistakes Christians make is to treat Zechariah as if it was a stand-alone prophecy. For that matter, they treat Daniel 9 the same way.

Martin Luther himself was nonplussed by Zechariah 14, saying.

„Hier, in diesem Kapitel, gebe ich auf. Denn ich bin nicht sicher, wovon der Prophet spricht.“

(“Here, in this chapter, I give up. For I am not sure what the prophet is talking about.” )

I believe the great Reformer made the same mistake of not studying out continuity and the overriding theme of God's dealing with Israel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we read Zec. 4 we immediately relate it to John's visions in Revelation.