1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Zechariah - Christ centred prophecy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Covenanter, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a Bible Exhortation to Preach the Gospel that Will Change the World In An Interpretation of Zechariah 14 (1 of 8)
    by Ben Habegger, he had some wonderful thoughts that I have adapted to state the Positive Revelation of Eternal Truth position on these Passages that include: the end of the opportunity for repentance.

This is What The Bible Teaches and we should all call every believers and preachers attention to This Thread, to give them a Blessed initiation into God's Revelation regarding Jesus' Soon Return.

AS BIBLE READERS
    we should anticipate a single Consummation and Glorification of God’s Kingdom in connection with the single Second Coming of the Lord Jesus, at the End of The Current Inner Advent Age of Jesus' churches, which is the "seemingly endless", yet FINITE time period taken from Revelation 20.

In the straightforward eschatology of the New Testament, the apostles and prophets and Jesus Himself all declare that the very event of Christ’s Return will be The End of sin and death.

The Second Coming immediately brings the final separation of the righteous from the wicked, the end of the opportunity for repentance, and the eternal glory of a new creation freed from sin’s curse.

Christ’s Blood-Bought Accomplishments in His Priestly Work has Rendered all the types and shadows suggested in historical iterations, as a Reformed Mosaic system of worship, obsolete (Heb. 7:18–22; 8:13; 9:8–10; 10:1, 8–9, 18).

The interpreter must understand that the Old Testament prophets often foretold New Testament realities through the symbolic use of Old Covenant language.

A woodenly literal hermeneutic cannot consistently explain such prophecies as that of Malachi 1:11:

“For from the rising of the sun even to its setting, My name will be great among the nations, and in every place incense is going to be offered to My name, and a grain offering that is pure; for My name will be great among the nations,” says the Lord of hosts.”

On the one hand, literal aspects of the Old Covenant such as incense and grain offerings could only be legitimately performed at the authorized location of the Jerusalem temple.

On the other hand, the New Covenant era renders such a sacrificial system obsolete.

However, once the interpreter acknowledges that the Spirit speaking through Malachi used Old Covenant institutions as pictures of future, New Covenant realities, Malachi’s words harmonize well with those of Jesus recorded in John 4:21 and 23:

“Woman, believe Me, an hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father…

. But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.”

Similarly, the apocalyptic mention of Jerusalem in Zechariah 14 must be allowed to point beyond the earthly city of David.

“For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come” (Heb. 13:14).

Indeed, those in the New Testament churches already “have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem” (Heb. 12:22).

We are of the new covenant corresponding to “the Jerusalem above” who “is our mother” (Gal. 4:24–26).

James the Lord’s brother points to the prophecy of Amos and thus confirms that God has rebuilt and restored the ruined tabernacle of David so that the Gentiles may seek the Lord and be called by his Name (Acts 15:13–18).

The nations are now joining themselves to Zion, the redeemed city of God, the New Testament churches of Jesus Christ.

If James and the other apostles could confidently use such a hermeneutic, so can we.

This hermeneutic will provide us with an interpretation of Zechariah

#61 Alan Gross, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was hoping for interpretation suggestions.

The language of warfare is used, but this is not carnal warfare but true Kingdom warfare, using the sword of the Spirit to advance the Kingdom by the Gospel.

We see in picture language the New Covenant in the blood of Christ & deliverance from fear of the waterless pit or death & hell by the Gospel. The arrows & slingstones will be the word of the Gospel, subduing the Gentiles.

Resulting in spiritual joy in the Lord of his redeemed people.

16 The LORD their God will save them in that day,
    As the flock of His people.
    For they shall be like the jewels of a crown,
    Lifted like a banner over His land—
    17 For how great is its goodness
    And how great its beauty!
    Grain shall make the young men thrive,
    And new wine the young women.

3. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes sir, wonderful stuff.

This fellow puts out a nice reading on the Chapter, as many do, in this series of his on the whole Book, just as a comprehensive view.

(I associate with good Interpretation, as best I can, although the entire table of their System over the whole scheme of Bible Teaching may vary greatly from my overall position).

I LOVE HOW YOU CAPTURE THE GOSPEL OF THE NEW COVENANT AND THE BLOOD OF JESUS.

THAT!!.. MY FRIENDS IS BIBLE TEACHING AND PREACHING!!!!!!!

Ben Habegger – cbtseminary

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I suggest we can pause in our study of the interpretation of Zechariah & enjoy the wonder of our relationship with our Saviour God.

As his blood-bought children we are the jewels in his crown - our lives should show the glory of our Saviour, as jewels show the glory of our King.

Look on to Malachi 3, where the prophet sees us as God's treasure.
    16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another,
    And the LORD listened and heard them;
    So a book of remembrance was written before Him
    For those who fear the LORD And who meditate on His name.
    17 “They shall be Mine,” says the LORD of hosts,
    “On the day that I make them My jewels.
    And I will spare them As a man spares his own son who serves him.”
    18 Then you shall again discern Between the righteous and the wicked,
    Between one who serves God And one who does not serve Him.

God's promise to Israel is ours in Christ, who kept the Covenant for his people -
    Exodus 19:4 ‘You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself. 5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.”

1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.