BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:28 AM
4,000 Posts Club

Send a message via AIM to evangelist6589
Default Dress code in church

I am in a Fundamentalist churches and like all IFB churches in my area dress code for men is suit & tie. No official dress code in stone, but thats the way everyone dresses. When I was in a SBC church most did not dress this way and the degree and type of dress varied from SBC church to SBC church. I do not always feel like dressing up for church, so sometimes I do and sometimes I do not. I do not dress down (shirt & shorts, t-shirt, jeans) as when I do not wear a tie and suit, I will dress like I was working in a office environment whatever the name for that style of dress. Do you think this is a good idea, or will I get nonverbally judged (as in ignored, not taken seriously, kept at a distance)? This may be one of those issues that is a given and common sense for a Fundamentalist environment.

Thanks,

John
Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 AM
3,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
I am in a Fundamentalist churches and like all IFB churches in my area dress code for men is suit & tie. No official dress code in stone, but thats the way everyone dresses. When I was in a SBC church most did not dress this way and the degree and type of dress varied from SBC church to SBC church. I do not always feel like dressing up for church, so sometimes I do and sometimes I do not. I do not dress down (shirt & shorts, t-shirt, jeans) as when I do not wear a tie and suit, I will dress like I was working in a office environment whatever the name for that style of dress. Do you think this is a good idea, or will I get nonverbally judged (as in ignored, not taken seriously, kept at a distance)? This may be one of those issues that is a given and common sense for a Fundamentalist environment.
You're going to find that most people here don't believe you should dress for church as if you're going to church and they will be extremely judgemental if you say that you believe we should honor God with the way we dress.

If you're asking me what I think, I would say that a nice pair of khaki pants, a button down shirt should be fine. Personally, I couldn't imagine going to church without a jacket and tie.

To illustrate what I said, watch. People are going to call me a Pharisee because I said that I prefer to wear a jacket and tie to church.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:46 AM
5,000 Posts Club

I generally wear a pair of slacks with a dress shirt. Occasionally I might wear a polo shirt if the weather is hot. Sometimes I wear a tie, but often I don't. I pretty much never wear a suit or sportcoat.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 AM
15,000 Posts Club

If a church judges someone on what they wear to church as if a pair of jeans shows that they are ungodly, there is something wrong. Honestly, as long as things are relatively neat, covered up and the person is there with a heart dressed for the Lord, that's what matters.

In our new church, we tend to dress a bit more casually. My husband will tend to wear a nice pair of slacks, a polo shirt and have a jacket available. I wear what I'd consider "business casual", which is what I think you're thinking of. Last Sunday, I wore a nice pair of dress slacks and a knit top along with heels - something I'd be more than comfortable to wear to an office. I DID dress a little down when my daughter was in the hospital because I'd go straight from church to the hospital and I needed to be prepared to stay overnight but even that was neat and a step up from my everyday clothing.

So I'd say to not worry about the outward appearance. The Bible has a few things to say about that. Most important, go with a heart to worship the Lord and to learn from His Word. A reverent heart is what He wants you dressed in.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 AM

When I was a young pastor, and small churches, just come to church; dress was irelevant. I do remember a lady who asked me if she could attend church without a hat. My instant reply was, "I don't care if you come ina swimsuit, just come..." This was in a summer resort area by the way. The truth in essence, however, was expressed.

In my country churches, mostly farmers, they had one suit only and it was for church. Just come with an open heart and mind, and ears to hear. That is what counts in my mind.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 AM
3,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDeereFan View Post
You're going to find that most people here don't believe you should dress for church as if you're going to church and they will be extremely judgemental if you say that you believe we should honor God with the way we dress.

If you're asking me what I think, I would say that a nice pair of khaki pants, a button down shirt should be fine. Personally, I couldn't imagine going to church without a jacket and tie.

To illustrate what I said, watch. People are going to call me a Pharisee because I said that I prefer to wear a jacket and tie to church.

Don't think your a pharisee. A pharisee would say "You HAVE to wear a suit and tie to church" not "I prefer to wear a suit and tie to church."

I also agree with you that we should honor God with the way we dress. I personally just don't think that's with a suit and tie anymore. "Nice" dress is culturally determined, which is why we don't wear powdered wigs, and 18th century knee length jackets with ruffled shirts anymore.

In my opinion, the current equivalent of wearing a suit to church 50 years ago, would be wearing a nice button up long sleeve shirt, untucked (fitted, to be worn that way), or tucked, no tie, a nice pair of dress shoes (or cowboy boots), and a nice pair of jeans or slacks.

I have no problem with people who want to wear suits, or bonnets, or powdered wigs, or pirate hats. However they want to come to church, is fine with me.

The Angry Pastor's Blog

ARE YOU A BIBLICAL CHRISTIAN, OR A "FEELING DRIVEN" CHRISTIAN? YOU ARE MOST LIKELY DECEIVED! CLICK HERE> Is There a Traitor Within?

Buy the Book: A Traitor Within
http://www.churchflavor.com
http://www.digitaltheologytv.com

Soli Deo Gloria!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:52 AM
4,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
If a church judges someone on what they wear to church as if a pair of jeans shows that they are ungodly, there is something wrong. Honestly, as long as things are relatively neat, covered up and the person is there with a heart dressed for the Lord, that's what matters.

In our new church, we tend to dress a bit more casually. My husband will tend to wear a nice pair of slacks, a polo shirt and have a jacket available. I wear what I'd consider "business casual", which is what I think you're thinking of. Last Sunday, I wore a nice pair of dress slacks and a knit top along with heels - something I'd be more than comfortable to wear to an office. I DID dress a little down when my daughter was in the hospital because I'd go straight from church to the hospital and I needed to be prepared to stay overnight but even that was neat and a step up from my everyday clothing.

So I'd say to not worry about the outward appearance. The Bible has a few things to say about that. Most important, go with a heart to worship the Lord and to learn from His Word. A reverent heart is what He wants you dressed in.

So in other words continue to dress the way I have been, but do not g in the direction of one contemporary SBC church in my area where many will show up to church with their t-shirs and shorts on.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:54 AM
4,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havensdad View Post
Don't think your a pharisee. A pharisee would say "You HAVE to wear a suit and tie to church" not "I prefer to wear a suit and tie to church."

I also agree with you that we should honor God with the way we dress. I personally just don't think that's with a suit and tie anymore. "Nice" dress is culturally determined, which is why we don't wear powdered wigs, and 18th century knee length jackets with ruffled shirts anymore.

In my opinion, the current equivalent of wearing a suit to church 50 years ago, would be wearing a nice button up long sleeve shirt, untucked (fitted, to be worn that way), or tucked, no tie, a nice pair of dress shoes (or cowboy boots), and a nice pair of jeans or slacks.

I have no problem with people who want to wear suits, or bonnets, or powdered wigs, or pirate hats. However they want to come to church, is fine with me.
Cowboy attire? I have seen people dress like that in evangelical churches but never in a Fundamentalist church. The cowboys in my area have probably all fled to the evangelical churches.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 AM
3,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Cowboy attire? I have seen people dress like that in evangelical churches but never in a Fundamentalist church. The cowboys in my area have probably all fled to the evangelical churches.
Just boots. When worn with a suit or slacks, they are indistinguishable from dress shoes...

The Angry Pastor's Blog

ARE YOU A BIBLICAL CHRISTIAN, OR A "FEELING DRIVEN" CHRISTIAN? YOU ARE MOST LIKELY DECEIVED! CLICK HERE> Is There a Traitor Within?

Buy the Book: A Traitor Within
http://www.churchflavor.com
http://www.digitaltheologytv.com

Soli Deo Gloria!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
So in other words continue to dress the way I have been, but do not g in the direction of one contemporary SBC church in my area where many will show up to church with their t-shirs and shorts on.
Well, it sounds like in your church, that would be the way to go.

But I'd rather have a person in t-shirt and shorts who is there to worship and has a heart towards God than a man in a suit or a woman in a dress who is hard towards Him.