1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not to bring up the Catholic thing again, but...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Emily25069, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It cannot be directed to anyone. It only can be directed to God. If it is directed to anyone else but God, then it is idolatry!
    In the Bible the usage of prayer must be interpreted according to context.
    From that we can apply the principles of prayer to our own modern day usage. We do not use modern definitions of prayer and insert them into the Bible. That is where one goes astray.

For example, what did Jesus mean when he said: "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God."

Many Christians automatically think of a stainless steel needle as they think of that metaphor, even though the stainless steel needle hadn't even been invented yet. So what was the needle? I am not asking you to derail the thread and answer that question. I am showing you that you can't but today's definition of a needle (something that had not been invented) into the time of Christ.

Jesus also used the illustration of "old bottles" of wine, when there were no such things as bottles.
    You can't use modern definitions of words and insert them into the context being discussed. Find out the Greek word. Choose the appropriate meaning of the word according to the context in which it is used.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I'll try to explain it this way. I speak english. I am telling you that I talk to God. Interesting to note that bible describes talking to God as Moses had done so. Now in the context of this discussion. You compare what I said to the bible which would be appropiate based on context. I'm using modern english to describe talking to God. You compare it to the english translation of the bible and understand.

Now using the same english word I say I'm talking to Mary. (Not necissarily Mary, Jesus mother). Now you would not take out the bible to understand my context because its irrelevant because in context I'm using the same vehicle (talking) to communicate to someone other than God. Thus you automatically must assume the reverance I have for talking to God is not consistent with the reverance I use in talking to Mary.

The word prayer is like that. You forcing a context not intended for it.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sometimes I have to re-educate our people on the use of Biblical words. For example the word "church" does not refer to a building "the church" as the dictionary defines it. It refers to "the people" as the Bible defines it. Therefore I tell them I am going to the meeting place of the church--the place where the church gathers. I stick with Biblical definitions.
    Your example is very confusing. Why not use Bob or Dick if you are referring to another person. If you are using Mary, then automatically one is thinking of the mother of Jesus.

So, I really am not sure what you are trying to get across here.

4. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Receiving is not quite the same thing as decision making. Decision making requires a thought process. It leans on you. Receiving is a bit different. While it can look like a decision, it is not. As was stated before, I believed. Always did. Someone convinced me that I had to make a decision. It was very confusing to me. I dont remember actually making a decision. I always had believed that Christ died for my sins. I had received Christ, but I hadnt made a decision.

hard to explain, but it leads me to my next topic, which is infant baptism..

I can only say that while there isnt a specific infant being baptized in the bible, there are cases of entire households. Households wouldnt be like my household back then. It would have included many people, and there were most likely infants in those houses. If there were not (of course the bible doesnt say), then it still does not take away the fact that it makes perfect sense for christian parents to baptize their children.

It all depends on what you see baptism as. If you see it as an act of obedience towards God, then of course and infant cannot participate in that. If you see it as Gods act towards us--with promises of sins being washed away and new birth and having Gods name given to us, then it changes things a little. You are then bringing your infants to Christ.

Infants of course cannot repent, but the commands to repent were given to adult believers--then their households were baptized.

Given the ceremonial washings that were going on at that time THAT INCLUDED INFANTS, it would have made much more sense that infants were to be included in this new baptism. We have evidence from the earliest of Christianity that infants were in fact baptized and while other heresies were fought against very early on, we have no evidence of any fight for believers only baptism until the 16th century! This tells me that this is how it was always done--and given what the bible says about baptism, it makes sense.

The bible does NOT say that baptism is an outward sign of an inward grace.
    THe bible does NOT say that baptism is act of obedience to Christ.

This is what it does say...

Galations 3:26-We are clothed with Christ!

Act2:38-we receive forgiveness of sins

Acts 22-We wash our sins away (what are you waiting for? the verse says!! that is an amazing scripture!)

Romans 6:3-We are united to Christ through his burial and resurrection

Just like I cannot give you one example of an infant baptized, YOU cannot give me one example of baptism language having anything to do with simple obedience, a personal testimony, or anything else. It is Gods amazing work!

Just as it is natural for christian parents to instruct and disciple our children in the ways of the faith, it is natural for christian parents to also baptize their children.

Now the tricky part

Just because an infant is baptized, it does not mean that when that infant grows old he or she will be walking in the faith..

just as..

Just because a grown adult makes a decision for Christ and participates in an adult baptism, when he or she grows older they will still be walking in the faith.

It makes far more sense for an infant/child to be baptized in the beginning, and be raised in the faith, than to be raised in the faith, believing, and then told that he or she needs to get saved. It honestly makes no sense. Faith is present, or it is not. Once again, it is not a decision.

ANd yes, sometimes it is by osmosis.

Sometimes someone hears the word of God and just starts to believe. The gift has been given and received. This has recently happened to my neice. She has started to believe. I am not going to confuse her with talk of decisions! I am simply going to continue to witness and give her scriptures. I am so happy!

But it is not God who is not faithful, it is we. If the prodigal returns, the father will be waiting.

The bible says that baptism saves. THE BIBLE SAYS THAT BAPTISM SAVES!!

Who am I to question that and speak differently on behalf of the word of God?

When you try to say that that isnt what the bible means, what you are doing is this..

"I know what the bible says, but what it means is.."

and thats dangerous territory, dont you think?

I'll go with my bible on this.

5. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

To Bob Ryan

Bob
    No, Lutherans do not believe in OSAS. They leave that open because of things like the parable of the sower and the talk about enduring until the end.

They do believe election of course, but they do not believe in double predestination, because that goes against John3:16.

I think they believe that some things are just mysteries, but they wont speak where the bible does not.

6. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

To DHK

Liturgy doesnt appeal to the emotions.

It DOES appeal to the senses. Its a good thing. Helps to keep our attention where it should be.

Things like candles tell us that something special is going on.

No incense in my church, but I like the reminder that our prayers rise to God just like incense does.

Most of those things are symbolic, and actually quite nice. They help to focus our minds and hearts on worshipping Christ Jesus.

When we walk into church, we are quiet because we recognize that we are here to worship the almighty God. Silence can be very appropriate.

We also ring bells to signify that something special is going on. They did that when my children were baptized this weekend.

Bowing in church reminds us that we should bow down to Christ.

When I speak of worship, I am mostly speaking of the things we speak directly to God. That is lacking in a baptist church completely. Its more like a sing-a-long and bible study.

But singing or speaking the psalms--the praises--the kyrie--all are worship to God. EMotional? I spose it could be, but it isnt intended to be.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is not emotional as in a rousing Baptist church service with music that really moves the heart and soul.

What you described is what appeals to the senses (probably a better word than "emotions"). The candles (sight), the bells (sound), the incense (smell), and so on. Thus the emphasis is on the environment. The environment for the early Christians was the catacombs--an underground cemetery. It was in the fields, sometimes in houses, in places where their persecutors would not find them. They left behind them a trail of blood.

8. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

I definately agree with you there.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are entirely wrong on this. Consistently in Scripture, we read "believed and was baptized".

Secondly, not once does Scripture say baptism saves. I'm sorry but it's just not there.

10. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Well of course there are differences in times of persecution.

(you honestly think there werent candles in the catacombs? We do know that there was liturgy)

But we are not being persecuted right now, and so we feel free to have all those special things. I find all those traditions quite neat to say the least. Not necessary of course, but neat. We have the tradition of lighting candles and and standing for the reading of the gospel..

Its just traditions-like the lifting of the veil and the cutting of the cake at weddings. Those things arent necessary for a wedding to happen, but they are nice traditions.

When you learn what the traditions of the church mean, they are really cool!

Ever read the description of the temple? Sounds like it appealed to the senses.

There is nothing wrong with having the senses involved in worship. Nothing at all. Its very helpful actually. It creates an atmosphere of worship

11. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

You are kidding, right?

1 peter 3:21
    Acts 2:38-39
    Romans 6:3

Its there.

It is the baptists who explain it away.

12. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

We do read "believe and are baptized"

because this scripture was speaking to adult believers...who had not been baprtized of course. They were not talking to infants.

Infants are not mentioned.

But infants were brought to the ceremonial washings and other baptisms of the times. Baptism was not new. THIS baptism was new.

It is consistent with how God has done things (think circumcision, think children brought to priests.. unborn children even, dedicated to God, without them having a say at all) that christian parents would also bring their children to baptism-and then raise them in the faith.

I cant give you a scripture that says specifically that infants should be baptized. I agree. Its not there.

But infant baptism isnt inconsistent with scripture, it isnt inconsistent with the culture and what was going on, and we have no record of there being any fight until...dun dun dun dun... the baptists come to town! It wasnt mentioned I believe, because it didnt need to be. It was how it was always done. There is lots of evidence of early baptisms from some of the earliest christians.

The fight for believers only baptism'?

Silent.

Crickets chirping.

Believers only baptism is new.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No one explains these away. And there are many Christians who are not Baptists who do agree that these verses indicate one must be water baptized to be saved. Each of these has been shown that they do not mean one must be baptized to be saved. The dispute with the Church of Christ over baptism being necessary for salvation has engendered a lot of serious material on this issue. Have you read any of it?

Rom. 6:3 for example, does not necessarily refer to water baptism. The word "baptism" in the NT does not always mean water baptism; it means to immerse. When on has faith in Christ, one is baptized into Him, one is "in Christ." If it does refer to water baptism, it is not saying one must have to be saved. It is symbolic or representative of the salvation one has through faith.

The other point is that scripture does not contradict itself. It is clear from many, many passages that we are saved by faith alone. We compare scripture with scripture.

Here's one article on this topic (and I don't think he's Baptist)
    http://www.carm.org/christianity/baptism/baptism-necessary-salvation

So do you deny sola fide?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Let's look at the Scriptures:

1 peter 3:21

We need to look at the whole passage since verse 21 starts with "The like" which means that it's comparing to something that was just said. So let's look at the passage:

OK - So we're looking at verse 20 right now where the eight souls were saved by water. But were they saved by water or the boat? They were saved by the boat but the boat was useless unless there was water. There was nothing to save them from if there was no water. Likewise, it is not the water that saves us but the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It tells us clearly that it is not a putting away of the filth of the flesh but the answer of a good conscience toward God. Baptism does not cleanse us which is what is necessary to be made righteous before God, but it gives us a clear conscience - it brings us through from the old life to the new life like water did for both Noah and the Israelites who passed through the waters.

Acts 2:38-39

Note it's not just baptism here. It's repentance. You cannot separate them and say that baptism is what saves you.

Romans 6:3

This says nothing about being saved by baptism. It speaks of those who were baptized into Jesus Christ. These people were believers who were baptized. I was baptized into Jesus and when I was baptized, it symbolized my identification with Jesus' death and resurrection. It could also be speaking of being immersed in Christ because Colossians 2:8-15 speaks about this and it talks about circumcision and baptism and it's clear that the circumcision is a symbolic circumcision so it could possibly be speaking of a symbolic baptism.

None of these Scriptures, in light of their context, speak of baptism saving people. Additionally, we need to read ALL of Scripture and see what it says about how we are to be saved:

Acts 2:21 "And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Acts 16:30-33 "Then he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household." And they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their wounds; and he was baptized at once, he and all his family."

** Note that he told them to believe and they will be saved - and THEN they were baptized.

Romans 10:10 "For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved."

Baptism is not what saves us but it is an obedience and a testimony to the life that is now inside.

#134 annsni, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  15. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

If that is what Peter meant in 1 Peter 3:21, he sure picked a strange way of saying it. He certainly fooled me:confused: (and the vast majority of people who ever read this verse as well)

16. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Whaa...?! Do you have the same Bible as I do?

17. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it that Catholics never quote the whole passage where this verse is concerned, but always take the dishonest way out by ripping this verse out of the context of the rest of the passage?

Could you please explain how either of these verses say that we're saved by baptism?

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok use Bob in place of Mary that was my intention anyway. Now re read the post with Bob. See if that makes more sense. There is a vehicle to communication. Talking. If I use this english word talking in context with God then the implication is a special reverance. If I use that same word in context with talking to Bob the significance is different and reverance that is given to God is not included in the understanding of what I am saying. The english word prayer is like that.
    If I'm talking to God or man the hebrew word is the same להתפלל like the english word pray or talk so it depends which context the speach is in. However, if I worship God and give reverance to him the Hebrew word is לסגוד or if I want to be more fervant I would use חיה כדי לסגוד

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The parable of the sower is about sowing God's Word...not believers falling from grace. The only lost in that parable was the seed that fell on the hard ground and never took root.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where does yours say baptism (works) saves?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.