1 Cor. 12-14

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by awaken, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was going to leave this alone, and go my merry way; but the tone I perceived in the last sentence wouldn't let me.

Exactly! Why would Paul need to rebuke them if they had the proper manifestation of the gift!
    1 Cor 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not.
    When you're not married any more.
    Who said that an unbeliever could manifest the Holy Spirit?
    You're talking in circles. My point was, and always has been, that tongues are a sign for unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22); that Paul taught that our primary purpose should be edification of others and ourselves (1 Cor 14:5, 12, 15, 19, 26).
    And I'm sorry you only understand the way you do, using a rebuke to justify a doctrine.

2. awaken Active Member

I have answered all of your post more than once...so if you want any response..just go back through the thread they have all been addressed!
    Acts 12:7 is a good scripture for you to memorize! Because you keep forgetting it!

3. plain_n_simple Active Member

If you think about it, a lot of unbelievers spend a lot of time developing teaching that supports why something good from God won't happen, instead of why something good from God will happen. I know that some will not believe until they see it, and some still won't believe even though they do see it, and a few will see the move of God and will call it Satan.

4. awaken Active Member

Maybe it is because I am tired of repeating my self! If the thread was read...it would not need repeating! Why ask the same questions over and over...I am going to give the same answers because the scriptures only give one answer.

Because they were in a church setting! Everyone speaking to God at one time was out of order. He corrected how to stay peaceful and orderly. BUT DID NOT FORBID IT!

I agree! Maybe you can convince DHK that truth (good luck). As a believer we do not need a sign! We just need to let the Holy Spirit manifest through us.

Well if tongues is a sign to the unbelievers??? I rest my case!

Can't remember why I said that?? But they can't

ok, well we agree on what Paul taught! And again..as a believer I do not need a sign! I already believe!

My doctrine I have backed up with scriptures! Pauls rebuke was justified! But He did not say they had ceased...just to do it orderly so that all could be edified in the church!

5. awaken Active Member

True! ....if people would only have faith in what the word says! Faith is believing what the word says before it actually happens. Most people want proof before they even believe!

6. awaken Active Member

Why will we need knowledge when Jesus comes? We will know as we are known!

The Bible is specific! IT says that knowledge will be done away when we see him face to face and know as we are known.

You say that when the Bible was complete tongues would be done away with...well so will knowledge. As long as we have the COMPLETE word of God we still need knowledge! How can we understand the word without it?

YOu tell me what knowledge is? Is it the same as a "word of knowledge?"
    Why wouldn't Paul say "Word of knowledge" would be done away with instead of knowledge in 1 Cor. 13?

7. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, this time I want to pursue your interpretation.
    So when Christ comes knowledge will cease. You say we will meet him face to face so we won't have any need of knowledge.

We won't need to learn anything in heaven? We won't have any knowledge of who anyone else is?

We won't have any knowledge of what Christ has done for us?

Our minds will be completely wiped clean of knowledge--no knowledge whatsoever?? There won't be knowledge in heaven? Just how is that going to work? Are we going to be mindless automatons? Absolutely no knowledge??

8. plain_n_simple Active Member

DHK: Have you ever placed your hands on the sick and prayed?

9. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes I have. That is not a gift of the Holy Spirit according to 1Cor.12-14, but rather instructions that are given to the local church and specifically laid out for us in James chapter five.

10. awaken Active Member

I just came across this difference tonight...If I said anything right now it would just be my opinion.

I do not think we will lose knowledge, I just think we would just know all things then. We would not have to gain more knowledge.

11. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Just think for a minute then:

First: Only God is omniscient. Only God knows all things, even in heaven. We will never come to that point. If we did, then we could claim divinity. Omniscience is an attribute of God.

Second, one of the things we can look forward to in heaven is sitting at his feet and learning from him. Yes, even in heaven there will be much to learn. It is one thing I look forward to.

Now having established those two premises, what "knowledge" will vanish away, and when?

12. awaken Active Member

At first I thought it was "word of knowledge" mentioned in Cor. 12. But I noticed that it did not say "WORD of knowledge"..it just said knowledge.
    Again...I have just come across this difference and need to search and pray about it.

It could be the same?? Not sure! Either way it ends when we see him face to face and know as we are known.
    It just mentions tongues, prophecy and knowledge will end....

Where in scripture does it say we will be sitting at his feet learning? I have heard that all my life but don't know where it is in scripture.

13. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In Rev.4:4, It says they have crowns upon their heads.
    In Rev.4:10, it says that they throw those crowns before the feet of Jesus in an act of worship.

In Rev. 5. It says that all the redeemed "sang a new song." Though we will have a redeemed body, will we know that song automatically or will we "learn" that song even if it is in a very few seconds?

In Rev.19 Christ comes back to earth with his saints (us) to face the enemies of the Jews at the Battle of Armeggedon. The enemies will be destroyed and the Jews will be destroyed. Then the Millennial Kingdom will begin.
    It says that we will reign with him. I believe that we will have to "learn" how to reign, that it is not an automatic process or or knowledge. In fact there will be many things in the Millennial Kingdom that we will learn.

After that the Lord will make a new heaven and a new earth. They will be there for our exploration and dominion. We will have much to learn about then. Throughout eternity we will be learning from Jesus. It will never stop.

The knowledge in 1Cor.13:8 is revelatory knowledge, and has strictly to do with partial revelation. It ceased when the Word of God was complete.

Until Christ comes again, the Bible says "knowledge shall increase". It is one of the signs of his coming.

2 Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Then in heaven we will be taught of Christ, the omniscient One.

14. awaken Active Member

Will we be taught or will we just know?

15. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I believe we will be taught, and thus learn.
    Only Christ is omniscient, and knows all things. If we could know all things then we would be God. Not even the angels know all things. The angels look down from heaven in amazement wondering at the redemption of mankind, for they have never been redeemed.

16. awaken Active Member

Not know ALL things, just what He want to teach us we will just know!
    So know as we are known means what?

17. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The purpose of the sign gifts was to confirm the preaching of the apostles before the word of God was given in final written form, and that the need for these miracle gifts passed when the NT was completed.
    Now (during the apostolic age) we see in a mirror, dimly. No single one of (apostles) has received God's full revelation. It is being given to us in portions, like parts of a puzzle. When the Canon of Scripture is completed, the obscurity will be removed and we will see the picture in its entirety. Our knowledge (as apostles and prophets) is partial at present. But when the last book has been written and added to the NT, we will know more full and intimately than ever before.

No matter what view one takes, the abiding lesson is that while the gifts of the Spirit are partial and temporary, the fruit of the Spirit is eternal and is more excellent. If we practice love, it will save us from the misuse of gifts and from the strife and divisions that have arisen as a result of their abuse (William MacDonald).

18. awaken Active Member

But not full complete knowledge! We do not understand (know) completely! We will not in this age, even though the written word is complete...our knowledge of that word is not!

19. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The passage you are questioning is somewhat allegorical in nature. Paul comparing himself to childish or immature is referring to Christianity or the church being childish and immature. During that time, in its early stages, as it is not grown up to maturity it needs help, help that came from the temporary sign gifts. But then Paul matured and became an adult. In time the church grows up. In time the sign gifts are no longer. The did not need to rely on them any longer when they would have the perfect (or completed Word of God). That was the day Paul was looking for--that day of maturity when the Word of God would be completed and the gifts would no longer be needed. He would be able to see himself as he is, as the Word of God would reflect Him to be, just as a mirror would. He wouldn't see darkly "in mysteries" any longer. When all the revelation would be put together every thing would make sense. The puzzle would be complete.

Knowledge will never end. It cannot. The context is revelation. Prophecy is revelation. Tongues is a form of revelation (like prophecy when it has interpretation), and the third is "revelatory" knowledge, not just common knowledge.

20. awaken Active Member

Agape love is eternal! Tongues will cease when we leave this earth. Love will cross the barrier of death and go on to Heaven with us. We will not need to supernaturally speak in any of the languages of this earth once we are in Heaven. The diversities of tongues will cease. The only language we will speak there is a common language. We will be able to walk up to anyone we meet and hold a converstation with them in perfect clarity.

1 Cor. 13 says knowledge will end! It does not say Word of knowledge!
    Gnosis: 1108 gnw'siß Gnosis (gno'-sis);
    Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine
    from (1097)

knowledge signifies in general intelligence, understanding
    the general knowledge of Christian religion
    the deeper more perfect and enlarged knowledge of this religion, such as belongs to the more advanced
    esp. of things lawful and unlawful for Christians
    moral wisdom, such as is seen in right living

KJV Word Count (Gnosis #1108) knowledge 28
    science 1