1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the NKJV is capable of improvement, so I'm hoping for a revision at some point. I would also like to see a printed Bible in the Majority Text. I think there would be a good market for such a Bible. As you say, The 21st Century Bible falls between two stools.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kind of off topic, but Genesis 36:24 in The Living Torah at ORT.org has an interesting addition in brackets:

3. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some comparisons from the Gospel of John

John 2:3a
    And when the wine failed (Tyndale's, 1535 Coverdale's, 1537 Matthew's, 1539 Great, 1560 Geneva, 1994 KJ21)
    and when they wanted wine (1568 Bishops' Bible, KJV)
    and when they lacked wine (1967 New Scofield, 1998 TMB)
    When the wine was gone (1971 KJII)
    and being short of wine (Green's Literal Translation)
    And when they ran out of wine (NKJV)

John 3:8a
    The wind bloweth where it listeth (KJV)
    The wind bloweth where it willeth (1967 New Scofield)
    The wind bloweth where it will (KJ21, TMB)
    The wind blows where it wishes (NKJV)
    The Spirit breathes where He desires (1971 KJII, Green's Literal Translation, MKJV)

John 5:35a
    He was a burning and shining light (KJV, MKJV, KJ21, TMB)
    He was the burning and shining lamp (NKJV)
    He was a burning and shining lamp (1971 KJII)
    That one was the burning and shining lamp (Green's Literal Translation)

John 8:58b
    Before Abraham was, I am (KJV, KJ21)
    before Abraham began to be, I AM (1971 KJII)
    before Abraham was, I AM (NKJV)
    Before Abraham came into being, I AM (MKJV, Green's Literal Translation)

John 12:24
    Except a corn of wheat (KJV)
    except a grain of wheat (KJ21)
    unless a grain of wheat (NKJV, MKJV)

John 14:2a
    In my Father's house are many dwelling places (1560 Geneva, Green's Literal Translation)
    In my Father's house are many mansions (KJV, NKJV, MKJV, KJ21, TMB)
    In my Father's house are many places to live (1971 KJII)

John 18:6
    I am he (KJV)
    I am He (1971 KJII, NKJV, KJ21, TMB)
    I AM (Green's Literal Translation, MKJV)

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm gonna check my print editon when I get home. The version on Bible Gateway.com has "water" with the footnote: "Following Masoretic Text and Vulgate (hot springs); Septuagint reads Jamin; Targum reads mighty men; Talmud interprets as mules." [But, curiously, The Living Torah claims "there is no support for this (water, springs) in Judaic sources."]

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than the Greek orthodox bible, any publish a Bzt texted version?

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The English Majority Text Version (NT only) is available in paperback. The World English Bible is available from Amazon.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same version as the internet one?

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose so. I couldn't say whether changes have been made in the online versions that don't show up in the printed ones.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the KJV has "water" as a translation of הימם. The word means "(spring) water." It is incorrectly translated as "mules" in the KJV.

The word "donkeys" is a correct translation of החמרים used later in the verse.

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of Green's peculiarities; he insisted that every English version (with one exception) had mistranslated the verse for centuries. He produced support for his view, but it seems a little thin to me. But what do I know? (Please, that's a rhetorical question; no response is required.)

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 36:24New King James Version (NKJV)
    24 These were the sons of Zibeon: both Ajah and Anah. This was the Anah who found the watera]">[a] in the wilderness as he pastured the donkeys of his father Zibeon.

Footnotes:
    1. Genesis 36:24 Following Masoretic Text and Vulgate (hot springs); Septuagint reads Jamin; Targum reads mighty men; Talmud interprets as mules.
    Waters rather than springs does not seem too far afield, and it avoids the bogus "invented mules."

The World English Bible (WEB) has: "These are the children of Zibeon: Aiah and Anah. This is Anah who found the hot springs in the wilderness, as he fed the donkeys of Zibeon his father.

12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. Got that. Sorry for confusing the issue. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As both "wind" and "spirit" are the same word in both Hebrew and Greek, some believe he may have a point. But as with all such words, context is the key.

It seems to me to be more than just a bit silly to insist on a single translation of the Greek into English.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Most certainly I tell you, unless one is born of water and wind, he can’t enter into God’s Kingdom.
    6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Wind is wind.
    7 Don’t marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born anew.’
    8 The wind blows where it wants to, and you hear its sound, but don’t know where it comes from and where it is going. So is everyone who is born of the Wind.”

It would be interesting to ask John of Japan how the Japanese bible translates this passage in light of the "divine wind" of Japanese mythology. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. A point lost on one of our frequent posters. The same Greek or Hebrew word can reasonably be translated, and should translated, differently in different contexts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Would Holy Spirit be translated as "tsunami" in Japanese? JoJ should weigh in, but I seriously doubt it because it would drag up connotations of Shinto. But I could be wrong. If JoJ were a Jesuit he could probably argue for some sort of replacement theology ...

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I thought you meant you were seeing "donkeys" in your copy where it has "mules" in others. Sorry for multiplying the confusion!

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using the best English word or phrase to convey the Greek word/phrase meaning, contextually considered, is not silly.

18. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for an interesting laugh! Tsunami (津波) simply means "tidal wave," which comes after an earthquake and has nothing to do with wind. We do have a lot of typhoons (台風, taifuu, "platform wind"). There are separate words in Japanese for wind (風, kaze) and spirit (霊, rei). The "Holy Spirit" has His own word, 聖霊 (Seirei, "Holy Spirit"). And none of these words have Shinto connotations.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The original "Divine Wind" (神風, kamikaze), meaning "god-wind") came in the 13th century when a typhoon dispersed a Mongolian invasion fleet as it approached Japanese shores. This word in particular doesn't occur in any form of Christianity, but the first Chinese character has quite a history of controversy in Chinese Bible translation, which did influence Japanese translations (which all use 神 (kami) for God.

The controversy in China was whether to use 神 (shen in Chinese), the word for local deities, or Shang Ti (上帝, "upper emperor"), which was the word for the monotheistic God of ancient Chinese religion. Morrison and Marshman both ended up using Shen, but the Catholics used a 3rd word, Tien (天, "Heaven," used by Confucius). To this day you can buy two editions of the Chinese Union Version of 1919, the Shen and the Shang Ti.

• Like Like x 1
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So there Jay Green sat with his first year Greek knowledge, typesetting his interlinear NT, which he did himself rather than hiring someone (all for the glory!). On one side he had the NKJV, and on the other side the NASV, choosing whichever rendering he wanted for the interlinear. This created a mess: words not in the TR, etc. If he didn't see what he wanted, he would simply substitute a synonym.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.