1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A video of my girls dancing in church...

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by annsni, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

DHK...

I noticed that you seem to have accidently missed...(or dodged)...my questions for you.

You have used the terms "indecent", "dangerous", "confusion" etc to describe how these girls "indecently" disrupted the "order" of the service.

So, here are my questions again....

Could you please answer my specific questions with specific answers.

:godisgood:

2. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Now for my opinion on the matter. I did not watch the video. I can't. My internet is way too slow.

I am not for scheduled dances in the church, though I don't have any scripture to back up my opinions. Now if the Spirit came on a person and in happiness/worship, they did a dance, I have no problem with it.

I am admittedly an odd duck, though, in that I don't like any kind of scheduled worship. I think worship is spontaneous. We don't do scheduled special music, either. If the Lord tugs at your heart to sing a song, you get up and sing a song.

Even with all that in mind, I will not judge this practice because I have no scripture to do so.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Spinach,

I agree with you 100%

Its never happened in my place of fellowship, but I wish we Baptists would "get with the program" regarding that sort of things.

I have however visited churches that allow that, and I think its a beautiful thing. Very edifying for the church. And I thought that what the girls in Annsni's video did was wonderful as well. It was a blessing for sure.

:godisgood:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

As with other things, there is a world of difference between "I don't like that/ it does nothing for me," and "That's not of God."

I don't see a way to make the second of these statements stick, without injecting a ton of personal preference into one's Scriptural interpretation.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, David wasn't naked or near naked. Michal's problem with David wasn't the dancing, it was his humility. He laid aside his princely robes and girded himself with a linen ephod and hobnobbed with the common folk.

Asking if God was pleased with David's dance is like asking if He was pleased David had multiple wives, or if He was pleased with the blood of bulls and goats offered by David. We're looking at a completely different covenant, one meant for infants as opposed to the New Covenant which is meant for adults (spiritually speaking).

Are you pleased with the things your toddler may build with Lincoln logs or Tinker Toys? If your child were 25 and he was still playing with Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys, wouldn't that say something about his development?

Are you displeased because your infant messes his diaper? But if an able-bodied, fully adult man messes his diaper something is wrong.

Many things that were acceptable under the Old Covenant were peurile, and not to be tolerated under the New.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What I find interesting are the terms 'decenly' and 'in order'. First off, these girls are decent (certainly not nearly naked) since their costumes are quite large and covered. They wear tights, coulottes, a skirt that is so full that it can lay down in a full circle on teh floor and tops that go from the neck down into the skirt and covers the arms completely. As I posted in an earlier post, there is a photo of my 16 year old worshipping (Spinach, I think you can see that). So they are decent.

As for the 'in order', these girls train for many hours, many months and in some cases (as my daughters) many years learning patterns, Scripture for each pattern, how to do the movements smoothly and gracefully. They are able to do the patterns without thinking about what to do and are able to fully engage their minds and hearts into the worship of the Lord. When I see them, I get a glimpse of the glory of what true worship must have been like in the Old Testament where they did not have the societal restrictions that we find today. As others have pointed out, David danced before the Lord. These girls are not wildly thrashing around nor doing anything inappropriate but instead are moving gracefully and purposefully to worship God.

I know that there are those who do not believe even lifting hands in church is appropriate. However, that's not a Biblical decision but a personal one. I've been to some of the black churches around the area and in those, people are much more physically demonstrative and I find it a great blessing - to see those who are so focused on God that they don't worry that if they get on their knees, or stand up and "dance" in their seats, or whatever is going to embarrass them. I honestly don't think we're going to get to heaven and stand like stone statues in worshipping God. I think He's going to get a bit more worship than that.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Right. The key is, when someone imposes their definition of "decently" and "in order."

And we can't forget the context of the passage, either (tongues).

8. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I don't have pictures turned on, so as to minimize my megabyte usage.

I have no problem at all with raised hands, shouting, crying, testifying, singing, dancing, etc. One thing that is my preference is that it not be planned. I'm not for raising your hands in praise on command.

But that is my own opinion and preference and has no bearing on what others believe. I am passing no judgement.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the context is when they're gathering, and one has a psalm, or another has a prophecy, or another has a tongue . . . in other words, all things pertaining to the worship service must be seemly or fitting (which is the definition of "decent") and in its proper place.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your use of the English language is quite interesting.
    If you park on the driveway; Where shall I assume you drive? On a place you park? Like a parkway?
    If you are walking on "quicksand," are you walking quickly, and are you walking on sand?
    Am I to assume that you are eating ham when eating a hamburger, or the fries are from France when eating French Fries?

Now who said anything about your girls being indecent? The only person is you. I certainly never did. I quoted Scripture and you twisted it with the help of the English language.
    Let everything be done decently and in order. That has nothing to do with girls being indecent. The conclusion in fact is "non sequitor."
    The statement has to do with the order of the church, the way the church service is conducted. It is not speaking of the morality of little girls. :rolleyes:

That is why at the beginning of this part of the thread I posed the question:
    Is the worship service the appropriate venue for such an activity or would it be more appropriate for activities such as these at something akin to a talent night. If I proposed that it could be done at something like a talent night, how am I suggesting that your children are in any way indecent?? The venue is the wrong venue.
    Find from Scripture where such activities were condoned in the services of the church. We have examples in the book of Acts. We have teaching and commands in the Pastoral Epistles. We have other teaching in all of the other epistles. There is plenty of Scripture to study. But remember that the NT church is in the NT.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed. And even if you disagree, whatever happened to just being gracious in the process??

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you Church of Christ? There is no teaching about instruments used in worship in the NT. So is it wrong to use instruments in worship?

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, I am not Church of Christ.
    Historically, the use of instruments cannot be defended.
    Biblically, one has a hard time, but it is not impossible.
    But the fact does remain the use of instruments did not come into common use until after the Reformation.
    I am only stating the facts as they are.

I personally have nothing against the use of instruments provided they are used to God's glory. My daughter was the church pianist. How can I be against it?

14. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If your girls are serious about dancing... a friend of mine's daughter attends a Christian college that has an excellent dance program. You may want to check out Belhaven College -- see www.belhaven.edu. It's one of only 25 universities in the country that has accredited programs in all four areas of the arts.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just as dancing is not found in the NT neither are instruments found in the NT. So according to your hermeneutic then why accept instruments and not dancing?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I never said instruments were not found in the NT, only that it was difficult to demonstrate. They are there if you do some study.
    However, there is no possible way that you could ever justify dance from the NT.

17. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Great...so if your daughter danced in church then we wouldn't be having this debate, right? :laugh:

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, she never danced on the piano; fact is she never danced at all.
    She was the pianist. I said I wasn't against instruments.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where are instruments found in the NT?

I cannot justify driving a car from the NT either.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then git yerself a donkey!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.