1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alcoholic beverages

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wouldn't bother me at all. Your drinking problem is your own & not mine. Why should I have to abstain because your too weak to own up to your own drinking problem? My wife who is an alcoholic taught me that. She is strong enough to tell me to go ahead & have a beer, It's my problem & not yours. She also scolds me for eating badly because Im the diabetic in the family. She feels she can have a cake or pie in the house, its not her problem. Learn to discipline yourself.

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I don't think HAMel said or admitted he had a drinking problem. Did you actually read what he said, or just go off on a tangent?

HAMel gave this stance, and I can respect that.

Lighten up and actually read and understand what you're replying to.

And lay off the honeybuns. :tongue3:

And quit drinking downstream from the herd. Try upstream instead.

:thumbs:

#22 preacher4truth, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  3. Andy_S

Andy_S Member

I too have struggled with alcohol - a lot of temptation at university.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read it & as I said, I dont care if the guy or any person has a drinking problem or not, Id still have a beer. Now I wouldnt go so far as to offer him a beer. Anyway I do not eat honeybuns..... I'd substitute another beer!

Cheers!!!

#24 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 13, 2010
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And quit drinking downstream from the herd. Try upstream instead."

I didnt say I did...I was telling you to. Anyway, you know what I'd be drinking? LOL

Cheers!

#25 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 13, 2010
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Musta been drunk when I wrote that...LOL!

7. Servent

Servent Member

So lying is OK, ever hear of the Ten Commandments

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't have a problem with alchohol.
    Actually, in moderation alcoholic beverages are actually good for you and your heart. However, just like in all things moderation is the key. People who cannot moderate themselves should not be around those beverages.

9. Servent

Servent Member

Try Rom 14:21 on for size.
    om 14:21It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything by which your brother stumbles, or is offended, or is made weak.

#29 Servent, Dec 13, 2010
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats why I said I wouldnt give him a beer.

11. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Come on now, Willis. Alcohol consumed responsibly and moderately does not ruin our witness. That is a complete myth made up by people who are either 1) out of touch with the world around them or 2) trying to fabricate some sort of case. Non-Christians don't care. They don't care! If anything, because their opinion of Christians is that we are behavior-oriented, legalistic, moralistic killjoys only interested in making sure nobody enjoys themselves, they will appreciate the fact that we can 1) not judge them in a spirit of self-righteousness and 2) enjoy alcohol.[/QUOTE]

Uh...in your case, I'm assuming you would be taking it into a place where people regularly condemn alcohol and judge those who drink. If I took it into my church, I'd be taking it into a place where people believe alcohol is an issue of conscience and Christian liberty. The issue is that I'd be bringing something in that would be a distraction. You should understand that there is an appropriate time for everything. I wouldn't bring a radio into church and listen to music. I wouldn't bring a bag of funions into the sanctuary. I wouldn't choose a secular piece for my choir.

Same thing with donuts, which, judging from all the fat baptists we have, is a much bigger problem than alcohol.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Willis.....this is good you know this about yourself, because in all likeliness your an alcoholic. If you cant stop yourself after one or two then you have a problem. I can stop so Im not in danger.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I understand your point and can find nothing in scripture forbidding the consumption of alcohol, so I'm not coming from a legalistic standpoint.

However, I think it depends on the area or society that you live in.

For instance, if I lived in France where even children drink wine, then my consumption would not be an issue or hindrance in my witness.

But in my area, smack in the middle of Bible belt USA, even non Christians look at a drinking Christian and wonder if they're really a Christian. Being called a hypocrite is very common around here.

So I think we have to weigh more than just our liberty to do something. We need to think about how it will be perceived by those we're trying to lead to Christ.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amy, are you telling me that in the "Bible Belt" you have an unwritten rule that if your a Christian that you cant drink?

15. Servent

Servent Member

That verse has to do with making a brother stumble because of your actions your drinking in public or anywhere for that matter could cause him to stumble, you dont have to offer him anything to do that.
    Yes I am a recovering alcoholic

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. So you feel it is OK to lie and to tell people that you are an alcoholic - which may actually harm your testimony as well - just so that you can get of easy? I'm sorry but I find that unbelievable. Seriously.

Let me ask you this: If your NOT drinking would cause ONE person to NOT come to the Lord, would you still think it is OK to not consume? It goes both ways, you know.

No, I think that lying and then someone finding out the truth is worse than if you just went ahead and took a small drink. **shaking my head**

17. Servent

Servent Member

That is the same thing I used to say, I can stop when ever I want to.
    Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging, and whoever goes astray by it is not wise.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's not a rule, but it's looked down upon. We just got our first liquor store a few months ago. We've been a dry county for many many years.

19. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Are you sure you can stop? As strongly as you are defending drinking alcohol you might actually have a problem and need to talk to someone about it.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will strongly defend it, I KNOW I can stop and yet I haven't had a drink in years. But if I did, I would only have one glass of whatever I was having and then go to water and/or seltzer after that.

Why is it that if one reads the Bible and see how it clearly denounces drunkenness but it speaks of alcohol also in a good light in moderation, and they defend that stance, that they have a problem with alcohol? No, the people going at Scripture and them not seeing the WHOLE counsel of Scripture with regards to the blessing (yes there is blessing) and curse with alcohol and take an unbiblical stance against alcohol that we have a problem with.