1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured All Israel Will be Saved. Romans 11:26

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why call me "good ...?"

Peter answered your question in the Scripture I quoted:
    Acts 3:26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways.’

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #Eisegesis

Cuz you're bad? :Biggrin

#82 Jope, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul seems to contrast between lost and saved jews, as he calls those saved as now being spiritual israel, and the lost as israel after the flesh... Spiritual Israel is in the Church, as are saved Gentiles!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeing that God still has a plan for national israel does not make one anythingother than agreeing with what the Bible states on this issue!

5. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Inspired history. The Jews were blessed first - at Pentecost.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All jews are saved the same fashion as all Gentiles are, but the Bible does support that God will still deal with savign nationalm israel at His second coming!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes,as they would basically just have the pauline epistles as Inspired to us for today!

8. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey there bad sir. I just had a question, when you're stating that all peoples on earth will be blessed, beginning with the Jews, do you mean to say that, in the future millennium (if you are postmillennial) the Jews will be blessed first? That is what I interpreted your position to be and that is what I was responding to. I see that your statement lends itself to many interpretations though, and I'm not sure if you're postmillennial or amillennial? Are you stating that the Jews were blessed first? Because that's different from saying that the Jews will, in the future, be blessed first.

9. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could just call me Ian.

And you could try reading my post alongside the Scriptures I am quoting - or the Scriptures I base my post on.

The millennium, however postulated, doesn't com into Peter's sermon; he is very simply telling his hearers:
    Acts 3:24 ‘Indeed, beginning with Samuel, all the prophets who have spoken have foretold these days. 25 And you are heirs of the prophets and of the covenant God made with your fathers. He said to Abraham, “Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.” 26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways.’

Peter uses the future tense because he is quoting the covenant with Abraham - Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.” I used the future tense because I was quoting Peter.

These days refers to the days beginning with Pentecost. Thousands of Peter's hearers - Jews & proselytes - did respond & receive the promised blessing.

Dad,to son, "I will give you £10,000 for a deposit on a house."
    Dad, "Here is £10,000."
    Son, "Thanks Dad, BUT, that £10,000 is spent & forgotten, and you promised 'I will give ...' so I want that £10,000 you promised."
    Dad, "You ARE enjoying my promised gift. What was a future tense promise is present reality. From where my bank balance stands, that 'I will' promise is history."

10. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you're amillennial? You still haven't made your position clear/explicit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm (partial) Preterist, amil. Revelation was written before AD 70.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter stated in Acts that when Israek returns to God and accepts Yeshua, how much greater will that be for the world, correct?
    The time of restoration!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most see it written in 90's, does your theology need the earlier date?

14. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The text requires the earlier date - it was written for its immediate readers. Try reading Rev. 1 to see to whom it was written.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was written to encourage all Christians until the Second Coming, which has yet to happen!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Christian can certainly take encouragement from Revelation, as we can from all Scripture - encouragement & warnings, however:
    Rev. 1:1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2 who testifies to everything he saw – that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

Those highlighted sentences indicate that the events prophesied must soon take place because the time is near.

Certainly we too can claim the blessings promised, but what must soon take place because the time is near must be long past.

Note also that John was your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus.

Revelation was not primarily general prophecy for general encouragement but specific prophecy because the time is near.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The second coming and the eternal state yet to happen!

18. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus' coming for general resurrection & judgment, & the new heaven & new earth, have yet to happen, but that has nothing to do with understanding Revelation.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Afternoon Ian. Every time I encounter this argument I think about how people who make this argument need to re-study bible prophecy. Have you ever read Ezekiel 12? People were complaining back then that "near" must have meant a lot sooner than they thought!

Ezekiel 12:21-28 NET
    21The word of the LORD came to me: 22“Son of man, what is this proverb you have in the land of Israel, ‘The days pass slowly, and every vision fails’? 23Therefore tell them, ‘This is what the sovereign LORD says: I hereby end this proverb; they will not recite it in Israel any longer.’ But say to them, ‘The days are at hand when every vision will be fulfilled. 24For there will no longer be any false visions or flattering omens amidst the house of Israel. 25For I, the LORD, will speak. Whatever word I speak will be accomplished. It will not be delayed any longer. Indeed in your days, O rebellious house, I will speak the word and accomplish it, declares the sovereign LORD.’” 26The word of the LORD came to me: 27“Take note, son of man, the house of Israel is saying, ‘The vision that he sees is for distant days; he is prophesying about the far future.’ 28Therefore say to them, ‘This is what the sovereign LORD says: None of my words will be delayed any longer! The word I speak will come to pass, declares the sovereign LORD.’”​

Verses 15-16 were fulfilled in AD70!

Ezekiel 12:15-16 NET
    15“Then they will know that I am the LORD when I disperse them among the nations and scatter them among foreign countries. 16But I will let a small number of them survive the sword, famine, and pestilence, so that they can confess all their abominable practices to the nations where they go. Then they will know that I am the LORD.”
    These arguments are just like those made by the enemies of Isaiah:

Isaiah 5:19 NET
    They say, “Let him hurry, let him act quickly, so we can see; let the plan of the Holy One of Israel take shape and come to pass, then we will know it!”
    Not to mention 2 Peter 3:3-4!

#99 Jope, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word translated "soon" is the Greek prepositional phrase en taxei, which in this passage doesn't refer to elapsed time but to the actual speed of an action. John is not saying, "These events will happen very soon" (eg, AD 70), but, "They will happen speedily." Compare the same phrase in Acts 12:7 and 22:18, where time until the action is not in view, but the speed of the action required.

#100 John of Japan, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.