1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Am I Calvinist or Arminian?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Steven Yeadon, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no "deep spiritual level" to the gospel. It's simple and easy to understand.

The context of 1 Cor. 2 is not the gospel, it's the deep things of God.

The context of 1 Cor 2 is understanding "spiritual wisdom" (v. 6) the "hidden wisdom of God" (v. 7), the "deep things of God" (v. 10), and the "spiritual things the Holy Spirit teaches" (v. 13).

The natural man (unsaved man) does not understand these deeper things of God. But God has revealed the Gospel to everyone and the unsaved man CAN understand the Gospel.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you want a good laugh ask if the CALVINIST himself is Totally Depraved NOW.

3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We never said all doesn't mean all. The question is what does all refer to.

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me where scripture says the Holy Spirit draws anyone. It is the Father and the Son that draws. Not the Holy Spirit. We are not saved by the Holy Spirit either. The Holy Spirit works to convict us of our sins and once we are saved dwells with in us.
    MB

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I am calling your interpretation of them wrong. I am not a Calvinist.

• Like Like x 1
  6. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey does God desire for you to sin today or tomorrow?

Thats all you need to answer dave.

7. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course there is. It is the part where you need to actually recognize your position for what it is and God's position and his holiness and what you need that savior in the first place. Why do you think people rationalize, well I am not that bad so this doesn't apply to me? Did they understand the Gospel? On a basic level, yes. But not on a saving level.

And I affirm this. But that doesn't mean he has the ears to hear it in a way that it changes him because he is blinded to the truth in his own sin.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No your claiming the plain truth of scripture is wrong. I never interpreted them.
    MB

9. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I have reflected on these things. I arrive at contradictions in both Arminianism and Calvinism.

Calvinism is correct, Romans 9 makes it clear that God must show mercy and compassion in choosing one for salvation to be saved. However, there are clear verses indicating God wants all saved. Even in Romans itself in Romans 11 in the same conversation about Israel's hardening.

Calvinism is correct that double predestination is not beyond God's character according to Romans 9. If He wanted children of wrath He could do so, and what right has clay to complain? It is just the bible states such is not the case with those Jesus Christ saves.

Arminianism is a paradox of the highest order. A God that wants all saved has not given all the knowledge of the narrow door to life before they die. God is omnipotent and reigns sovereign, but His will is thwarted. God gives mercy and compassion to all, but Pharaoh and Judas Iscariot exist.

I am confused, but I'm learning to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you see this? Can you flesh that out so I can understand where you are coming from and how you arrive at that conclusion? If it is true, then you have a contradiction in Romans 9 and Romans 11.

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you an extensive list that proves depravity. You gave me 2 verses that you dont understand. Unless you are God, you interpret Scripture.

12. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll get to it later David, I feel bad and need rest, maybe in a new thread since this one is so long.

13. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah I apologize that it got majorly derailed. You can PM me too. Things can't get derailed in a PM lol

14. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol yeah, but I think a thread on the real core of this, does God want all saved or not, will be great to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All humans can hear the good news. Those who remain dead in their trespasses and sins will not think it is good. They will think it is foolish and will resent the declaration as judgmental in declaring them to be sinners.

Humans are chosen by God. His call is only to those He chooses. "Lazarus, come forth." It I a command, not a question.

Those who are chosen will believe the good news and will repent of their sins. The one who is dead in sins will never repent. God must make them alive with Christ for them to repent.
    Those who are dead in sins will often be remorseful and try to manipulate the circumstance to get the weight of sin reduced, but they do not truly repent.

Thus, the command to repent is for the child whom God has chosen, not for the child who is dead in sin. That child has no capacity to repent and will never do so on their own.

We have a fundamental disagreement where you place the cart before the horse.
    You demand repentance before God gives faith. I demand God gives faith before repentance can happen.

For you, the cause of salvation is human repentance which effects God to save the person.

For me, the cause of salvation is God choosing to give a person faith which effects the human to repentance.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rich young ruler would have accepted what Jesus stated if he had been one of those chosen by the Father!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit convicts, enables, regenerates those whom the Father has chosen, and they then receive Jesus as their Lord....

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God works in the hearts and then they respond in repentance. We see this in Acts 2 and we see this in Thessalonica.

1 Thessalonians 1:4-10 For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything. For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

Acts 2:37-38 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is never such thing as total depravity in scripture in scripture for Gentiles when you include the whole of scripture. Everyone who claims total depravity shows us Romans 3. When you begin to read Romans 3 you will notice it is about Jews not Gentiles so is Romans 9 about and for the Jews. Yet Gentiles like Calvinist apply it to them selves.Blindness has come to the Jew because of there rejection of Jesus Christ. Pay no attention to me after all I just showed you who total depravity is given to. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. You really should learn to consider all of scripture instead of just bits and pieces. No where is man ever declared unable to believe.
    MB

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was He not drawn? If drawn He was chosen to come to Christ that is a given but because he could not do what Christ asked of him he just walked away. He had to be drawn because scripture says he cannot come unless the Father draws him.
    MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.