An Answer To Alcoholic Beverages

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by His Blood Spoke My Name, Jun 19, 2007.

1. npetreley New Member

You can quote the KJV, but you apparently don't understand the Modern English is uses. Look at the other translations I quoted for a clue as to what it really means.

2. rbell Active Member

Like I said, I doubt we'll find any commonality, but here goes:

Let's say your BP is 195 over 160. Mine is 85 over 55 (really, it is).

I go and get us 2 Big mac meals from McDonald's.

Is it wise for me to eat one?

Is it wise for you to eat one?

I think I've made my point. :saint:

3. npetreley New Member

This just in. A recent medical study shows that Big Macs can actually lower your blood pressure.

Just kidding -- you know how something is bad for you one day, and the next day they discover it's good...oh never mind. ;)

4. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    Look at modern versions that twist the meaning of abstain? or the meaning of all appearance of evil?

No thank you.

I have versions that date back before the KJV that say abstain from all appearance from evil.

Will trust them.

5. npetreley New Member

I'm beginning to understand how you think you go 24 hours without sin. You simply don't recognize any of it. Either that or you simply refuse to confess it. How do you ever correct anything or get forgiven if you can't admit it when you've made a mistake? IN addition to this verse, someone corrected your misquote of wine being serpent's poison, and there's no word from you as to admitting you took it out of context. I corrected your bizarre interpretation of the 1689 Baptist Confession, and you still hold onto the idea that the verse has something to do with grape juice.

And now this. You know perfectly well what I mean. It doesn't mean to abstain from appearing evil. It means to abstain FROM evil, wherever it appears. The KJV has it right, but if you understood the Modern English in which the KVJ is written, you'd see it doesn't mean what you want it to mean. You're viewing a Modern English verse through contemporary English eyes, and you're getting the meaning wrong.

6. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    You have not proved me wrong. You only think you did.

7. npetreley New Member

I'm done. I really don't think you have a grip on reality.

8. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    Geneva (1599) Absteine from all appearance of euill.

KJV (1769 Blayney Edition) KJV Abstain from all appearance of evil.

The Bishops New Testament (1595) Abstayne from all appearaunce of euyll

The English Revised 1833 Webster Update (1995)
    Abstain from all appearance of evil.

The Tyndale New Testament (1534) Abstayne from all suspicious thinges.

Youngs Literal Translation (1862) from all appearance of evil abstain ye;

The Douay Rheims American Edition (1899) From all appearance of evil refrain yourselves.

After all of the older versions, let's see now. from 1534 up to the late 1800's, the word meaning never changed
    and I am supposed to believe these more modern versions ?

Wrong! The Word is abstain from all appearance of evil no matter how much the mv's try to change it.

And I will not confess to something that is not true. Jesus did not drink alcoholic wine, He never created alcoholic wine, He never gave it to anyone, nor does He give permission for His Children to drink it in any amount.

9. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TCGREEK and others who are conversant with Greek , where are you ? HBSMN : Citing various English texts doesn't validate your understanding of the verse in question .

But ... since you like to list em' -- how about Weymouth ( from early in the 20th century) : Hold yourselves aloof from every form of evil.

Or the ISV ( a contemporary version ) : but keep away from every kind of evil.

I think the rendering of the modern versions is to be preferred . They may be more faithful to the meaning of the original .

10. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    You guys may as well quit trying to make me believe the lie that alcohol is permitted in the life of a Christian. You are fighting a losing battle. My Bible tells me it is not permitted.

11. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    They are not to be preferred, they change the meaning to something entirely contrary to the Old Versions.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I see you are still on HBSMN.

Does drinking grape juice disqualify a man from the ministry?

13. rbell Active Member

Still waiting for response #1:

Still waiting for response #2:
    I'm still interested in hearing your response on these posts.

14. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    John Wesley in the 1700's had this to say about 1 Thessalonians 5:22

And be equally zealous and careful to abstain from all appearance of evil - Observe, those who "heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears," under pretense of proving all things, have no countenance or excuse from this scripture.

This from Adam Clarke:

Abstain from all appearance of evil - Sin not, and avoid even the appearance of it. Do not drive your morality so near the bounds of evil as to lead even weak persons to believe that ye actually touch, taste, or handle it. Let not the form of it, ειδος , appear with or among you, much less the substance. Ye are called to holiness; be ye holy, for God is holy.

15. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    Matthew Henry recognized the importance of abstaining from the appearance of evil in the late 1600's just as Paul did in the 1st Century AD.

Matthew Poole from the mid 1600's stated of 1 Thessalonians 5:22

16. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Do You Do With These Verses ?

Snips follow . Please explain what they mean .

Psalm 104:15 : wine that gladdens the heart of man

Ecc. 10:19 : wine that makes life merry

Deut. 14:26 : wine or other fermented drink

Judges 9:13 : Should I give up my wine , which cheers both gods and men ?

Isa. 25;6 : finest [ or choicest ] wine

Jer. 23:9 : I am like a drunken man , like a man overcome with wine

Pro. 31:6 : give wine to those who are in anguish

2 sam. 16:2 : wine is to refresh

17. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hows this, using one philosophy...

Psalm 104:15 : grape juice that gladdens the heart of man

Ecc. 10:19 : grape juicee that makes life merry

Deut. 14:26 : grape juice or other fermented drink

Judges 9:13 : Should I give up my grape juice , which cheers both gods and men ?

Isa. 25;6 : finest [ or choicest ] grape juice

Jer. 23:9 : I am like a drunken man , like a man overcome with grape juice

Pro. 31:6 : give grape juice to those who are in anguish

2 sam. 16:2 : grape juice is to refresh

18. npetreley New Member

I shouldn't get involved in this again, HB, but for the benefit of others: You're using commentaries that are written in basically the same language as the KJV. They all mean the same thing. You're just repeating the same phrase and finding people who repeat it in the same terms, but you're not grasping the meaning of it.

It's just like the verse (In Isaiah, I think) that says God creates evil. In the language of Modern English (the language of the KJV), it makes perfect sense. Evil meant foul, catastrophic, and things like that -- not necessarily moral evil. People used to say things like, "That's an evil odor". But in today's language you have to translate it more like God creates calamity. If you insist on reading it with today's English and you refuse to understand the language of the day, you have to come to the conclusion that God created evil.

Stop reading the KJV as if it's today's English. It's not.

19. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    C4K,
    Not all instances of wine in the Bible were fermetnt, nor were all non fermented.

Context, context.

20. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where [is] the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk [therein]. (Jeremiah 6:16)

Today's English is not necessarily the right interpretation.