1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are YOU a Private Racist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 1, 2014.

?
  1. Yes, but not hateful towards other races ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, and I'm hateful ...

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. No, not one thread of racist in this mind, body, spirit or soul!

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. All races tend to be racist ....

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. All races are privately racist ...

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. Racism [public or private] is a social flaw ...

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  7. Racism [public or private] is a sin ...

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  8. Some churches are still racist ....

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Homophobia is as bad as racism ....

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  10. I am a private homophobe ...

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Because of selfishness. Most are more concerned with what they want and their families being comfortable than they are to listening to what God says about going and doing. If that weren't the case, 95% of our resources in SBC circles wouldn't be going to the 5% of the world's population in the safe, look like us US of A, with 5% going to evangelize the rest of the world.

Culture will see a lot of folks go to hell.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and besides, if I'm a 'private' racist that means it's none of your business what I think. The question really is, stupid.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another silly poll. Folks, we don't get to decide if we're racists or not. That's up to people of another race to determine.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Now you know that's just silly. That's just like saying that all white people are blue eyed devils.

SOunds like an economic thing rather than a skin color thing.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:laugh: That just made me laugh.

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to say whether or not I'm a racist because the definition "racist" is pretty nebulous and, these days, one is branded a racist for the most trivial things, even if they have nothing to do with race.

For instance, I've been called racist because I disagree with Emperor Obama's economic policies.

I've been called racist because I noted that Muslims are responsible for an unusually high number of terrorist attacks.

I've been called racist because I own a copy of Song of the South.

I've been called racist for literally no other reason than that I have a Southern accent.

I've been called racist because I've suggested that maybe, perhaps, possibly, it might be helpful for those coming to this country, either legally, or by invading our borders illegally, to learn English.

I've been called racist because I say "Oriental", when that's been outlawed by the PC police for some reason.

Now, if you mean, do I notice differences in culture and behavior between different races and not always approve, then I guess I'm a racist.

For instance, there are some movie theaters I just won't go to because they draw a lot of black people and I know, based on past experience, that they'll scream and holler throughout the movie. If that's racist, then I'm fine with that. But if it is, then I guess I'm racist against my own race, as I wouldn't go to a theater where white people do that, either.

Frankly, I don't care one way or the other because I'm confident that those who know me know I try to be polite and respectful to everyone and that my black family members (by marriage and by adoption) know I love them.

7. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

That sad truth is that racism, while mostly different than what we experienced during the Civil Rights Movement, is alive and well. The real problem is that is goes all directions from all people groups now yet few are willing to admit it.

I grew up in the south. My first "girlfriend" in 6th grade was black. As a result, a grown man pushed me in front of a moving car in front of my school as I tried to walk home for being "one of them n* lovers."

My very white father was almost shot by a very white City of Atlanta police officer for daring to drive "one of them n*" home late one night. My mother and my older sister, who was then an infant, was with him at the time.

I was raised to judge people by who they were and not what they looked like. I took that heart to the point when I was trying to describe one of my friends singing in a youth choir being broadcast on TV I described his clothes, which row, which seat, etc... finally my mother asked, "You mean the black kid?" They were 50 kids in the choir, there was one black kid, it never occurred to me to say the black kid. Then the world changed.

I drove through Atlanta as a young real estate agent looking for a house I had a listing appointment with. I was nearly attacked by a young black man with a baseball bat near the Atlanta Zoo for asking for directions. My black friends from high school would no longer talk to me, or any other white friends, because that wasn't cool with their "peeps." Every time I turned on the TV or radio some yahoo was telling me I had no choice but to be a racist because I was 1) white, and 2) from the south. The double death! (cue dramatic music)

Then along came rap and the "thug life," which many very mature adults embrace and uphold as well as younger generations, and we have a divide that can seldomly be bridged. The question is, why?

I heard a Southern Baptist preacher on the radio as I passed through Franklin, NC once. He said something that many will find offensive. "When you treat people like animals, tell them they are less than animals, abuse them, hate them, for centuries, don't be surprised when they start to believe it." We have spent a great deal of America's history telling black people we think they are less than animals. They are worthless, garbage. This is reflected in the thug culture. "Get yours cause you ain't gone live that long cause you don't matter anyway." It's easy to kill and die when you have been conditioned to think of yourself as worthless. And we white folk wanna get all shocked and shaken when it comes back to bite us in the butt...

This is another reason other people groups find such attachment to the thug life. Hispanics have lived their lives on entire continents where they didn't not matter. Life and death meant nothing. They come here trying for something better, and rather than welcome them and give them a new start, share the hope we have in freedom and God's grace, we reinforce the belief that they are garbage. "Pick our vegetables but don't you dare live next to me, shop in my stores, eat in our restaurants."

It is what is and those who deny it are the worst of the worst. I am sure I have offended people on both sides of the argument, that is not my intention. I know nothing here describes entire people groups and it is mostly all my opinion.

8. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't find that offensive at all. That's exactly what I was trying to explain to folks on another message board the other day when we were discussing Cliven Bundy's statements (that were taken out of context to make him appear to be a racist).

You have Democrats who, out of one side of their mouths, tell blacks they want them to be equal but then, out of the other side of their mouths, they enact legislation and social policies to keep them down, destroy their families, destroy their communities, and keep them indebted to and dependent upon the government.

How can we expect that to not affect them.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT post!!!:applause:

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

To the red man they were blue eyed devils, or white eyes. At one time in America's history the red man hated the white man for running him off of his land.

11. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

Wow...sickening post

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what does it mean if a man says
    I do not want to marry

- a tall woman
    - an obese woman
    - a career woman
    - curly hair woman
    - a man
    - a divorced woman
    - a single mother

there is a big difference between prejudice and preference.

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't know that there are many people who do not believe their own race and culture to be superior. Is that racism?

I guess it depends on how one would define it. It seems to be a fluid definition. What is racism today may not have been racism tomorrow, and what is racism from one person may not be considered racism from another person.

All we can really do is try not to be jerks. Plain and simple, and LEARN about history and culture. Knowledge helps rid people of a lot of prejudicial views, because most is born of fear, (whether one realizes it or not) which is rooted is not understanding or knowing about something. And people hate what they fear.
    So, get smart and quit hating. :wavey:

14. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Race? I would think most people don't consider any race superior over others, at least not these days. At least so far as America is concerned.

Culture is another matter. Obviously I'm going to prefer my culture over, say, a cannibalistic one or one that makes human sacrifices. (These are only examples, I'm not intending to refer to any particular ethnic background.)

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like this .....

Like you I have friends of all colors .... and this may seem an oddity, but it is TRUE: I do not notice a persons colorr, ethinicty or cultural standing until that person does their best to make me uneasy or offends me!

And then it isn't due to the skin color, BUT my desire to no longer be associated with or fellowship with that person!

To be honest, there are white folks that my parents once called "white trash" and if I am prejudice or biased at all, it is only against those who have done their very best to not be welcome in my ring of social acceptance! :1_grouphug: Like Salty said ... with me it comes down to "preference" and not prejudice! :)

#35 righteousdude2, May 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So GLAD we live in America ...

....because you got to voice your opinion and the speech police didn't come and arrest you; a mob didn't lynch you; and your friends are still your friends!

If this was a silly poll, you have the freedom to not read it or respond! But, you made your view known, now I hope you can find something that is more stimulating to your mind.

17. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may be Right ....

.... like they said in the trial of OJ, "If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!"

I tend to think that the reason we can say, without a doubt that were are not racist comes down to Jesus. Once we come to Him, I think our view of others is removed.

Here is a neat quiz. I passed it, and it said I was not a racist! But to be honest with you, as I looked at the questions and the answers, I remember clearly a time when my answers to some of those question would have been much different! I believe Jesus made the difference in how I view others, and I'm sure that is true with you!

But, take the test, and let me know if there were answers on that questionnaire that at one time, you may have been guilty of?

Here is the LINK - http://www.gotoquiz.com/how_racist_are_you_1

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Anyone who is different........and that would be all of us.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who cares?

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have had many close friends who are black, but I can't go so far as to say I didn't notice their skin color. In fact, I used to joke them about it at times, but they knew I was kidding. They could joke me about being white as well.

I tend to be more prejudice against religion than race or color. I will be honest, for awhile after 9-11 I did not trust Muslims and did not care for them very much at all. But we have had several Muslims where I work and I came to find they were very nice persons. They were not zealots, and so we got along well and could even discuss religion peaceably. They were OK with Christians, but they had a real problem with Jews.

I think we all stereotype others at times, but once you get to know a person you realize all folks are basically very much alike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.