1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Assorted Eschatological Teaching

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Nov 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you find the word Millennium in scripture? Why do you assume John's 1000 years are not symbols for a long time based on OT usage. Did the Pharisees get you too?

3. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not convinced.

4. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I’m saying is the kingdom of God was during Jesus’ earthly ministry, and I gave you proof He taught it. However you view it is upon you.

5. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t have to convince you. I told you no, now, in a roundabout way, you’re calling me a liar.

6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But His kingdom is eternal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    So everyone is a liar who questions you?

8. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read Daniel 2:44-45. The kingdom came down to man.

9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. But I told you no and now you’re not convinced. How else am I to take that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I teach. But only the born-again can see it.

11. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 3:3 says that, too. And that kingdom came down to man.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try to be more thorough.

13. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been thorough. I told you that the millennium deals with the kingdom of God. Amillennialism teaches the millennium is symbolic of a very long period of time, as does postmillennialism.

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you call it a millennium (Phariseeism) when scripture says there is no millennium.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and loosing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the Bible doesn’t say the word Trinity, but we teach a Trinitarian God.

Amillenialism

Although amillennialists expect no millennial kingdom, this does not mean amillennialists deny a millennium entirely, as the terminology may seem to imply. Anthony Hoekema provides a concise amillennial interpretation of Revelation 20:

Amillennialists interpret the millennium … as describing the present reign of the souls of deceased believers with Christ in heaven. They understand the binding of Satan … as being in effect during the entire period between the first and second comings of Christ, though ending shortly before Christ’s return. They teach that Christ will return after this heavenly reign.

Amillennialists believe we are presently living in the millennial kingdom, which is characterized by the simultaneous experiences of gospel victory and suffering for the gospel. This obviously indicates amillennialists interpret “one thousand” figuratively. The gospel is victorious because Satan is bound, rendering him incapable of preventing the spread of the gospel; yet he is not utterly powerless from persecuting the Church. Just before the end, Satan will again be permitted to deceive the nations and persecution will increase dramatically. Christians are awaiting the visible, bodily return of Christ, which brings an end to all their suffering. The second coming occurs concurrently with the general resurrection and a public rapture of the Church, who immediately returns to earth with Christ. Christ then judges the world, and finally ushers in the eternal state.

Important to the amillennialist understanding is the tension of “already/not yet.” Christians presently live in the inaugurated kingdom, as Christ reigns from heaven; yet, they await the kingdom’s full realization, when Christ will reign on Earth eternally. The inaugurated kingdom endures tribulation and suffering, but also victory as the Gospel spreads; in the consummate kingdom, the new heavens and new earth, there will be eternal rest. Another key point of this view, is the understanding of Old Testament prophecy, especially as interpreted by the New Testament. Kim Riddlebarger writes, “Amillennialists hold that the promises made to Israel, David, and Abraham in the Old Testament are fulfilled by Jesus Christ and his church during this present age.” Since these promises have been fulfilled, no future fulfillment is required. Amillennialists point to passages which teach that the consummation of history occurs at the second coming, with only the eternal state following. Amillennialists base their interpretation of Revelation 20 as recapitulating or re-present the events described in Revelation 19, rather than following it in chronological succession.

Views of the Millennium - The Gospel Coalition

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, RCC and Greek Orthodox teach amillennialism. Does that make you one of them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know from Luke 24:45 and other passages ( 1 Corinthians 2:6-16, 1 John 2:20-27 ), that only those whom the Lord has opened their understanding and given His Spirit to, will believe and understand the Bible.
    Only those who are "of God" will hear His words ( John 8:47 ).
    Only those whom the Lord has opened their hearts will "attend to" His words ( Acts of the Apostles 16:14 ).

Also, in the light of 2 Timothy 2:24-26, should we be impatient with our brothers and sisters when they ask about things?

If what you say is true ( and after almost 20 years in His word, I don't see it ), then not only is the burden of proof on you to prove it from the Scriptures themselves, my friend, but the burden of the Lord's commands as a teacher are also upon you.

Shall we not keep those things in mind when presenting the subjects that we see in His word?

#38 Dave G, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's word doesn't use the modern terms of "Trinity", "rapture", "witnessing", or several others, either...
    Yet we all know what they mean when we see them, do we not?

For example, "millennium" is the English term expressing a period of time, one of 1,000 years.

#39 Dave G, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  20. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the chart, as it helps to simplify things a bit.

For the record, I have come to see # 1 in my own private studies;
    But was taught # 2 for the first 28 years that I have been a believer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.