1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a man sin a sin unto death after being born again.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Are you actually going to tell me with a straight face that James was speaking about circucision, and the sacrificing up of bulls and goats when he said:
    "Whosoever shall keep the whole law and yet offend in one point he is guilty of all."
    The context: James 2:5 "Hearken my beloved brethren"
    Brethren refers to Christians not Jews.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You know DHK; I agree with this and always have, but a lie is not the same with God of me speaking to harshly to you or failing to go to the Nursery Home and visit, failing to go to the hospital and visit. Its more what I don't do, that what I do do, but its not the same as a lie with God. He said it wasn't. "there is a sin not unto death".

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am actually going to tell you that James was speaking of the Ten Commandments and of course the two Jesus added.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

James 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
    --And he that said do not bear false witness, and do not lie, said also do not kill. Now if thou commit no murder yet if thou lie thou art become a transgressor of the law. (even the little white laws)

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

What two commandments did Jesus supposedly "add" to the Ten Commandments? I don't remember any, but maybe I missed them.

And FTR, circumscision is practiced very widely, today, according to all I have read, at least in the United States, and due to sheer numbers, mostly on those who are not of Jewish background.
    And it is definitely "in the flesh".

Ed

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I said I agree DHK; you can murder a brother by telling a lie on him, especially a preacher brother.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Not for religious reasons and you know it. It is done for health reasons.
    I guess it was one Ed; He said it is a new Commandment and I take Him at His word. I guess it is not really added to the Ten though, it was to the church, but I was actually talking about the church so I guess you could say it was added to the Ten to the church and be right.

Jhn 13:34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

#307 Brother Bob, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

It is in fact, done for religious reasons among those who are Jewish, and some others religions and sects as well, including especially Islam, and some other Eastern religions.

Ed

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Ah, that's just because it's in the Gospel of John. John could never make up his mind about anything. First he says we can't sin, then he says we're liars if we say we can't sin, then he says we can't sin again.

Then he says there's no new commandment, then he says it's an old commandment, then he says it's a new commandment.

What else do you expect from John? ;)

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are just being contrary for you know they are not Christians and we are talking about the scripture to Christians. Why do you run way off in left field. Don't you know if we did that too, but it would only bring confusion to the discussion whether it be deliberate or not. I had a uncle who rambled on and on until he finally died. May he rest in peace.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But these are sins unto death, according to you. How could a Christian commit a sin unto death. You keep contradicting yourself.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You wish!
    You are almost impossible to get through to. No where in my posts do I say the "saved" can commit these acts, I have said over and over the "saved" cannot commit these acts.
    I could give you a lesson in the Law if you wanted me to, but I don't think you could catch on. I will give you a hint;

The Law is not for the righteous but for the sinner and the ungodly. The righteous of the Law is fulfilled in us, in other words we keep the things written in the Law and not break them.

There is nothing hidden that shall not be revealed.
    It is like a "light" came on when a person who claims to be "saved", commits adultery. Depending on how well known he is, such as swaggert, the whole world then knows what he really is and its not a Christian.

#312 Brother Bob, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Let's not put John against himself.

a. John says that "if we claim to have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us" (1:8). We will sin as born again Children of God.

b. Then he comes back and say, "I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense" (2:1). Sin is part of the life of the born again.

c. Further we read, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seen remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God" (3:9).

2. This is the best translation of this text. I have noticed that when one appeals to the Greek, some have an aversion to it. I wonder why?

a. We need to learn to respect how the language works. Others have successfully commented on this verse. But I will add this for our consideration:

i. Paul says, "Pray without ceasing," translated from two Greek words (BTW, this is the shortesst verse in the GNT, not John 11:35,:praying: ).

ii. "Pray" is present tense, but what does it mean here? Is Paul saying to praying every sec. min. hour, 24/7 for the rest of your saved life? No, he is using what greek grammarians call the "Iterative Present," praying repeatedly, praying faithfully.

iii. We need to respect how the language work and not dismiss it because it goes against some position we cling to.

3. If you respect how the Greek language works, you will realize that the Present tenses of 1John 3:8; 5:18 are Customary Present, born again children of God do not make it a custom/habit to lead a life of sin.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This thread has exceeded the 30 page limit on this forum and will be closed.

Please feel free to continue discussion on part # ______

Blackbird, moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.