1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can A person Keep the law and live? Have salvation thru the law itself?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I agree with everyone that no man has ever, or will ever keep the law perfectly. Nevertheless, IF a men were to perfectly keep the law from the moment he is born until he dies he would not be lost and need no repentance. There is no penalty for doing good, the wages of SIN is death.

Jesus was not lying when he said "If ye would enter life, keep the commandments". Jesus was telling the lawyer the truth when he said "Thou hast answered correctly, this do, and live"

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
    27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
    28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

What is it with folks here at BB? You are not arguing with me, you are arguing with Jesus!

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You put in bold yourself, the word "IF." That designates a hypothetical; a conjecture. It is not unlike the statements given in 1Cor.13

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
    2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
    3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Here is what Paul DID NOT SAY:
    1. He did not say he could speak with the tongues of men and of angels.
    2. He did not say he could understand all mysteries.
    3. He did not say that he had all faith, nor all knowledge.
    4. He did not say that he could remove mountains.
    5. He did not say that he was going to bestow all his good to feed the poor.
    6. And he did not say he was going to give his body to be burned.

He never said any of those things.
    They are subjunctive. They begin with "though," "if," "suppose." They are suppositions.
    Suppose I do this; just suppose. If I do any of the above....it would be of no profit if it was not done with love. But he didn't do those things. He never claimed to.

The same grammatical structure is used in many of the examples you are using.
    "If you will enter into life keep the commandments," or the converse--
    "If you will keep my commandments you will enter into life."
    The if is impossible and cannot be done. It is conditional to the promise being kept.

The law could not save anyone.
    The Israelites were under the law. The Mosaic covenant was made at Mount Sinai. Who kept it? Not one of the Israelites were able to keep it, though it was a covenant, a promise. It was met with absolute failure. No one could keep the law. Thus Christ came to fulfill the law. He was the one that lived a perfect and sinless life that through him we might have eternal life, not through keeping the law.

Again and again, Jesus uses the example of the law to demonstrate the sinfulness of others.

3. matthew.nelson

matthew.nelson New Member

Man is born a sinner. We all have a sin nature that has passed from Adam and Eve to now. They brought sin into this world and it has corrupted everything. We as sinners are not able to keep the Law as it was used as a measure - to reveal the sinfulness of man. After the fall no person but Jesus has been able or will be able to keep the Law. The law is not a method of salvation. "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. "
    John 14:6 (KJV)
    There is no method of salvation except by Jesus.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Nonsense, Jesus was answering direct questions from people on what they must do to inherit eternal life. Jesus answered that if they would enter life, keep the commandments.

You guys are a laugh.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Much of what Jesus said then is still applicable today.
    The following certainly is:

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Winman, are you truthfully able to say that you are able to fully keep these two commandments?

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Any commandment can be kept at the moment, to keep all of the commandments for a lifetime has escaped me, but not because I was UNABLE to obey, but because I CHOSE TO DISOBEY.

Tell me, did you ever HAVE to lie or to steal? What sins do you HAVE to commit? Answer honestly if you dare.

That's all Original Sin is, an excuse by dishonest and lazy people for their sin.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Winman

I submit you are arguing with God. Tell us all, or tell all us ignorant folks on the Baptist Board? Who is it that truly loves the Lord God?

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture please that states we are born sinners? It just sounds like hot air to me. What about Job?
    MB

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

You have a choice.
    Either you are able to keep the two great commandments as Jesus expressed them
    or:
    You claim sinlessness, and are:
    1. deceiving yourself.
    2. the truth is not in you.
    3. you say that Christ is a liar.
    4. His word is not in you.

Where do you stand?
    Are you able to perfectly keep His two Great Commandments?
    Or do you call him a lar and His Word is not in you?

It can't be both.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jesus said that if we love him, keep his commandments. Anytime we resolve to obey Jesus and keep his commandments we are expressing love toward him. Do I show perfect love 100% of the time? No.

Nevertheless, Jesus said if a person would enter life, keep the commandments. That is, if a person kept all the commandments from the day he was born until he died he would not be lost. He would not require salvation, salvation is for those who are lost. He would be one of the just persons who needs no repentance Jesus spoke of.

Even Albert Barnes knows and agrees with my interpretation;

You fellas all ridicule me, and time after time I show you wrong. You should try reading the Bible and believing what it says instead of mindlessly believing the false doctrines of men.

If your view were correct, then Jesus would have been a liar. Jesus never lies, and when he was asked what a person must do to inherit eternal life, he said to keep the commandments.

That said, I agree that no man has ever, or will ever perfectly keep the commandments except Jesus.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let me quote you again:

You just admitted you cannot keep his commandments.
    Jesus gave you a commandment that you cannot keep.
    Thus you are a hypocrite in what you are saying or you are the one that is saying that Jesus is a liar according to your own words.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I did not say I CANNOT keep God's commandments, I admitted I have not kept his commandments. Huge difference.

Tell me, which of the commandments is impossible to perform?

You are simply trying to deflect away from the fact that once again you have been shown wrong. Of course you will never admit it, and you will do anything to change the subject.

The folks that read these threads are not fooled.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY Jesus could and did perfectly keep the law as intended by God, and he can do that because He IS GOD!

EVERY person in the bible that saw God in his real glory realised just howimpure and unholy there were, NONE of us could EVER keep the law, and IF you claim that you coild, just haven't, that would be arrogance!

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You were asked:
    You replied:

I admit that no man except Jesus will ever keep all the commandments perfectly (that included yourself Winman).

You are not able to keep even these two commandments perfectly, are you? They are impossible to keep. Are you going to deny this again?
    Or,
    Are you going to claim sinlessness and be in danger of calling Christ a liar as John said in 1John 1:8,10?

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is he saying that he can keep them in his natural state, or that he can once he was saved, sinless perfe3ction state can be obtained?

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Whether a man can keep the commandments his entire life is irrelevant. When Jesus said "If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" that is either a true statement or a lie. It happens to be 100% the truth. You cannot seem to grasp that. Albert Barnes understood that and wrote in his commentary.

You are trying to deflect and change the subject. Whether a man keeps the commandments or not is irrelevant, when Jesus said that to enter life keep the commandments is a perfectly true statement.

If you can't get it, that is your problem. You can't fix stupid. Actually, your problem is ARROGANCE.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Albert Barnes is a man, not God.
    The statement is conditional. If you can't keep the condition, then the rest of the statement is moot. A conditional doesn't have to be true. It is suppositional. It is hypothetical. It is conditioned by "IF." Again, I point you to 1Cor.13:1-3.

Did Paul speak with the tongues of men and of angels?
    Did he have all knowledge and all faith?
    Was he able to remove mountains?
    Did he give his body to be burned?
    Did he give away all his wealth to feed the poor?

Did he do those things?
    No, he said: "Though" or IF, I do these things....
    The concept is the same.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Blah, blah, blah.

When Jesus said, "If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" that is a perfectly true statement. It is absolutely irrelevant as to whether any man actually keeps the commandments his whole life or not, that is still a perfectly true statement.

A child could understand this. Truth is, I think you understand it too, you just refuse to admit you were wrong. Albert Barnes understood exactly what Jesus and the word of God says. You seem unable to get it.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Deal with 1Cor.13:1-3

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

That has nothing to do with the young rich ruler and the lawyer asking Jesus a direct question, "What must I do to inherit eternal life"

Jesus directly answered them both and told them that if they would enter into life, keep the commandments. That is a perfectly true statement, if a man were to perfectly keep the commandments all his life he would not be lost. The fact that all men sin and come short of the glory of God does not alter the truth of Jesus's answer. I am sorry you cannot understand that, Albert Barnes understood it. John Gill understood it too.

Now, I don't know if I agree with Gills "covenant of works", but Gill knew that Jesus's statement to this lawyer was perfectly true, and that if any man were to perfectly keep all the commandments he would not be lost but inherit eternal life.

Again, I am sorry you cannot understand what these scholars easily understood.