Catholic Bashing Threads/Posts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by GodlyWoman, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    Originally Posted by GodlyWoman
    Quite honestly, many Protestants seem to worship the Bible as sole authority than Catholics worship Mary. And let me tell you, Bible worship is even more scarier than Mary worship!...
    ...................................................................................

We do not worship the Bible, GW... we worship the God of the Bible. How do we worship Him? By obeying His Word.

2. dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, good thing that Baptists are not and never were PROTESTANT.

3. D28guy New Member

Hmmmm.

Multitudes of Baptists are regularly and consistantly "protesting" against Catholicism on these boards along with the other evangelicals and pentecostals.

Mike

4. Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Protestant Inquisition Page

Preach the Word. If they receive it, praise the Lord. If they reject it, go to the next town. Spending a lot of time on Mars Hills is not very productive spiritually.

Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.

Selah,

Bro. James

Born again, ex-Catholic, ex-Protestant, practicing primitive, sovereign grace heretic, Byzantine stream.

5. Site Supporter

Godly Woman -- accepting the scriptures as our authority is not worship. But prayer most certainly is. We bow, physically, before our Lord in the prayerful example given us by His son.

The prayers of Christ in the gospels are always to His Father. That is the example we follow. Never, in any book of the Bible, is there an instruction to do otherwise.

We appreciate the fact that you continue to return, even in your frustration, and hope you will learn more about the differences between RCC and believers on this board. If you will turn to the scriptures while asking God for understanding, He will provide your needs.

6. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IS there ANY example in scripture of someone praying to someone that they do not worship?

Do we have ANY hint at all that Catholics do not PRAY as part of their worship services??

Obviously the answer to my question is "no".

Which means the answer to your question is "yes".

Hint: "Replace Mary" in this Papal statement with "GOD" and you have correct worship.

quote] prayer offered to the goddess – Mary

"Enraptured by the splendor of your heavenly beauty and impelled by the anxieties of the world, we cast ourselves into your arms, Oh Immaculate Mother of Jesus and our Mother....we adore and praise the peerless richness of the sublime gifts with which God has filled you above every other mere creature, from the moment of conception until the day on which after your assumption into heaven, He crowned you Queen of the Universe. Oh crystal fountain of
    faith, bathe our hearts
    with your heavenly perfume. Oh
    Conqueress of evil and death, inspire in us a deep horror of sin which makes the soul detestable to God and the slave of hell. Oh well-beloved of God, hear the ardent cries which rise up from every heart in this year dedicated to you. Then tenderly, Oh Mary, cover our aching wound; convert the wicked, dry the tears of the afflicted and the oppressed. Comfort the poor and humble. Quench hatred,
    sweeten harshness, safeguard the flower of purity and
    protect the Holy Church. In your name resounding harmoniously in heaven, may they recognize that all are brothers...Receive, Oh sweet Mother our humble supplications and above all, obtain for us that on that day, happy with you, we may repeat before your throne that hymn which is sung today around your altars. You are beautiful Oh Mary. You are GloryOh Mary. You are the joy, you are the Honor of
    our people.
    " – Pope Pius XII, celebration of the Marian Year in Rome, 1950
    [/quote]

in Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

That is true we should not consider that the members of the RCC today are guilty of the work of the RCC in the dark ages. The RCC has come out of some of that error in significant ways.

HOWEVER - one thing that RCC members today DO have to answer for - is that they have no clear statement from their own leaders even to this very day stating at a Papal level that torturing and murdering people was "wrong" NOR do they even have anything other than "INFALLABLE" as a summation for their LATERAN IV statement calling for the "EXTERMINATION" of Jews and dissenting Catholics.

They almost owned up to this at the turn of the Millennium.

8. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another indication that they were almost going to embrace the "clear conscience" suggestion in the above news article.

Sadly -- they never actually did it. They never actually said that Lateran IV policy of "extermination" was wrong OR that any act of torture of murder committed by the RCC was ever wrong.

They settled instead for vague statements about humanity and injustices done in the past. Surely in addition to the acts of "extermination" there were a lot of other "injustices" so that a reference to the more vague issue could be construed as still holding to an infallible Lateran IV statement on "extermination".

9. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Fourth Lateran Council, for example, the ecumenical council that dogmatized transubstantiation, declared (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/lat4-c3.html):

Other councils, such as Vienna, issued anti-Semitic decrees that ordered the persecution of Jews. The persecution of other groups, such as the Waldensians, was also ordered by the RCC.

For example, Pope Innocent VIII issued a bull in 1487 ordering that people "rise up in arms against" and "tread under foot" the Waldensians.
    Roman Catholic and former Jesuit Peter de Rosa writes in Vicars of Christ (Crown Publishers, 1988),

Catholic historian Peter de Rosa writes in Vicars of Christ (Crown Publishers, 1988), [b]"Of eighty popes in a line from the thirteenth century on not one of them disapproved of the theology and apparatus of the Inquisition. On the contrary, one after another added his own cruel touches to the workings of this deadly machine."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45674

Posted: August 9, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com
    I'm also encouraged by Benedict XVI, who seems to have inherited John Paul II's humility as well as his loyalty to foundational doctrines. On Jan. 22, 1998, when he was still a cardinal and the grand Inquisitor (yes!) of the Roman Catholic Church, he declared that their archives (4,500 large volumes) indicate a death toll of 25 million killed by the Catholic Church for being "heretics." And likely two-thirds of the original volumes are lost. That kind of honesty will help relations (though there is no basis for uniting the RCC with Bible-believing Protestant churches).

10. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So is it your belief that they get "two eternal lives" or "two eternal bodies"? One at death and one at resurrection?

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If they are not praying to Mary when they ask Mary to pray to God for them -- who are they praying TO?

Praying TO God asking God to get Mary to Intercede for them?

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Clearly we call "prayers to Mary and songs to Mary sung around HER ALTARS" -- a pagan form of worship but you may not see it that way.

You appear to be calling "the mere act of judging all doctrine and tradition against the rule of authority - scripture" to be "Bible worship".

Given those two cases -- what is your facts/data/history or evidence of any kind that the Acts 17:11 principle of "Studying the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things stated by Paul were SO" is WORSE than the RC tradition of worshipping Mary?

What makes it "worse"??

Recall that during the inquisition a lot of good Catholic christians were tortured and killed for refusal to worship Mary.

in Christ,

Bob

13. Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is responsible?

The rank and file religious of the Middle Ages was duped by the holy see. The Inquisitors were various clergy with Jesuit clergy as henchmen. The ones being burned were the ones who refused to bow to Rome. A lot of Jews were taken out during the Spanish Inquisition--for crucifying Jesus??

The holy see continues to dupe: the priests taking advantage of altar boys is not new--it has been covered up along with every other abomination.

Pray for those given to strong delusion. They are everywhere.

Selah,

Bro. James

14. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As others have pointed out, we do not worship the Bible. The Bible is God's Word to us. It contains truth but I do not worship the book that is sitting next to my computer. If it were to burn in a house fire, I would not be sad - because I could get another one. If we were to permanently loose the WORDS in the Bible, I would be sad but we know that that will not happen. But I do not pray to the Bible. I do not expect the Bible to save me or to plead at the throne of grace for me. I do not expect it to interceed or do ANYTHING like that for me.

If saying that the Word of God is truth and something we should heed is scarier than bowing and supplicating to a dead person, then you have some pretty mixed up thoughts.

This is true. However, it doesn't mean that we become gods - able to hear all, see all and do all. There's a HUGE difference!!

Mary, the saints and dead loved ones do not hear our prayers. As I've stated before, they would need qualities that only God possesses - omniscience and omnipresence. They CANNOT hear the prayers of everyone on earth unless they have these qualities. When we ask a friend of someone else to pray for us, there's a big difference. THEY'RE HEARING US! Can I say out loud in my own home, "SIFC, can you pray for me?" and he hear me? No. He cannot hear me because he's not here. Neither are Mary, the saints or dead loved ones here. They cannot hear me at all. Yet praying to them IS worshipping them and that's expressly condemned in Scripture.

GodlyWoman - you can choose to pray to whoever you want but do not think that it pleases God. Scripture is very clear - and that is God's Word to us. If any belief, any tradition, any instruction from ANYONE WHOEVER THEY ARE contradicts Scripture, then it is not Scripture that is wrong. Period.

15. Joe New Member

Imo, she is continuously denying the bible as the truth. It's useless. She is not a Godlywoman, as God is not who she lives for.

16. donnA Active Member

godlywoman=
    The Bible says there is one mediator between man and God, and it's Jesus. Not Mary, or dead saints.

Only those are saved/ born again are in heaven with God, those not born again are in hell.

Worship, no, obey God, yes, as all christains are to do, which you can not do without scripture. You sound smore and more catholic everytime you post.

The resurection has not happened yet, it will at the end times, you seem confused.

Yes, as according to what we see in scritpure.

17. donnA Active Member

I agree :BangHead:

18. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree Joe - but I do pray that through this dialogue, she begins to question maybe even just one "tradition" that is not Biblical. SIGH

19. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    I also agree.

And may the Lord give us the same boldness to witness the truth to others we meet on a daily basis at work, home, the store, school, or just on the street... that we have on the BB.

20. Joe New Member

Would be a great start. I'll be praying :praying:

:saint: <-- you