1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Catholics not accepted?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Fignar, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Stick the word Catholic in a thread somewhere and the replies just mount up, don't they?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Somewhat off topic here, that's what Baptist generally proclaim, but many do not adhere to it in application. There are many who believe a person can lose his salvation by virtue of action, which in practice is a works-reliant salvation.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I came to faith in Christ 30 years ago, and my wife 10 years ago (in a non denominational church, btw).

Can you kindly answer the questions I posed earlier?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that is more of an individual difference, not a denominational one. Like I believe Lori to be a believer, I do believe she is the minority in the RCC. The same rings true for those who do not hold to OSAS in the Baptist church, they are the minority.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What is this truth that your sister found in the Catholic church that wasn't found in the Baptist church?

6. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Unfortunately, in my area of the world. Many Baptist churches are very liberal. You will hear an 'altar call' at all of our (Catholic) evangelistic efforts. Not so much at the Baptist. I recently attended the funeral of one of my Baptist friends where not ONE verse of scripture was used. There was plenty of Emily Dickinson, however.

Baptist churches seem to be preaching less and less of about Christ crucified for our sins and Him raising to to life to save our 'sin sick souls'.

I would love to walk into a Baptist Church and here a reference to Ephesians 2:8,9 but I'm more likely to hear that at my Catholic evangelistic retreats.

7. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

For her, it was realizing the Holy Eucharist. Also, he did an extensive study of the Early Christian Church and found it overwhelming Catholic in nature and practice.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like CA is another planet...not another part of the country! :)
    Here in the NE, finding a liberal Baptist church is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I think the majority are not liberal as you allude to...I've been a slew of them over the years and none were. I think you are actually quite uninformed what the majority of Baptist churches teach...you will find out by reading this forum.
    You still didn't really touch on the "truth" aspect, though as it pertains to the RCC and the Baptist faith.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So in other words, he found a false teaching to be more appealing to him. I'm sorry but Scripture is clear and the "Holy Eucharist" is a false teaching finding no support in Scripture.

Unless you think the door you walk into your church is Jesus too.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a litmus test for liberalism among Baptists??
    Interesting, since the first century church's practices and customs on communion do not resemble current customs in Roman Catholicism (they don't resembler current baptist customs either, but that's a different thread altogether.

#50 Johnv, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
  11. Fignar

Fignar New Member

Should this be another topic? Are we allowed to post this under a different topic? If not, could someone else please start it, so I don't get more heat for "starting threads" instead of responding to them. :)

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know of very liberal Catholic churches too.

A friend of mine who is a deacon in the Catholic church admitted to the bishop that he is gay. He left his wife after 20 years of marriage and divorced her. He was removed from being a deacon for a time but was reinstated just a few months ago. That was less than a year from his announcement of being gay and getting a divorce. He's now entering seminary to become a priest.

Can't get more liberal than that.

13. Fignar

Fignar New Member

I would tend to agree, if this is true. Not saying it's not. Saying that if they are allowing him to go into the priesthood, especially after a divorce, and being gay, you can't get more liberal than that. Perhaps he was granted an annulment? Being gay shouldn't stop one from being a priest imo however. It's a sin just like any other. Meant to be overcome and dealt with, instead of simply ignored.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No annulment yet. It will take some time.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's a lifestyle, not just a certain sin. God calls it an abomination. Do you think homosexuality meets Paul's requirements of church leadership in 1 Timothy? How is the homosexual the husband of one wife and above reproach?

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Most sins are abominations in the eyes of God, and rightly so. If a person who has engaged in same-gender sexual behavior chooses thereafter to be celibate his entire life, then it's possible he can be qualified to pastor.

17. Fignar

Fignar New Member

*nods* I agree with this statement. All sins are abominations in the eyes of God. Drinking *without moderation*, drugs, premarital sex is no different. They are bad things that quickly lead one away from Christ. Homosexuality is no different, and should be treated as a sin, but not as freaks. They are people that deserve all the love we can give them, and help them in their walk towards Christ.

18. Fignar

Fignar New Member

He will have time before he is ordained then. Perhaps they are simply starting the process. I do still find it odd, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

While God detests sin, I wouldn't say Scripture states most sins are abominations, but is clear on what is...and you know my position on the second part :)

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Loving them is not the issue...whether they should lead a church is, and all sins are not classified as abominations in the eyes of God, that is an argument from silence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.