1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Change of man's MORAL nature in the Fall

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jan 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No problem, I understand now.

2. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

As of yet, no one has demonstrated that I offered any speculation. :Wink

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My entire point is that you are merely stating your theory and tossing a few verses around. The proof is obvious (Scriprure does not state Adam died spiritually; Adam had two natures; salvation is a renewal to Adam's original state made immutable....etc).

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deleted, too much speculation :)

#104 JonShaff, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can.

None of your conclusions are actually made in the passages you have provided. You have speculated that Adam being created "upright" means with a different nature. You speculated that we will be like Adam was originally except immutable. You speculated that Adam was created "spiritually alive". You speculated that righteousness is primarily (or exclusively) a moral issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post (without the speculation....I was reading and when I went to reply the above came up) did make sense.

Here are a few things to ponder:

Scripture does not relate Adam's removal from the Garden with his sin. Instead Adam had become like God knowing good and evil and was removed from the Garden so as not to eat of the fruit of the tree of life and live forever. Without speculation (which we could go on concerning the tree of life), we can say that Scripture does not frame this removal as a "spiritual death".

Something I find interesting is ANE religious thought. They often envisioned a Garden temple (typically with literal or symbolic rivers flowing from the temple into the garden). Man was placed in the Garden, not Eden "proper" (which would be, figuratively, "behind the veil"). Anyway, I find it interesting.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the reply. I probably would have kept it up if i was more precise with my word choices. I believe there is something going on with physical death and the removal of God's presence that you won't find being discussed in your traditional baptist sunday school ;) .

Adam is the Natural Man.
    Christ is the Spiritual Man.

What can we learn from Adam concerning Godly Character (moral uprightness--i would rather call this practical righteousness)? Pretty much nothing.

The Law came and exposed the realities within actions and character. But it still did not teach on Godly virtues as something to "put on".

And Christ came and brought grace and truth. Now giving us the ability to "live out the practical righteousness of God"--righteousness and true holiness.

Adam was natural, and his image continued on until Christ. Christ brings the spiritual, the eternal purposes of God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me reading into the text is what your post is all about. This is all your opinion.
    When Adam sinned God came looking for Adam. Strange indeed if Adam was separated and now dead in spirit. How did he hear God since he could not hear or understand because of his so called fall? This is what God said to Adam;
    Gen 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    Gen 3:18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
    Gen 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Not only did God speak to Adam and Adam heard God speak. but in the next chapter he also spoke to Cain after he killed Able .
    I mean here are these spiritually dead men hearing God imagine that. So much for the inability of man.

Adam was created with a sin nature because he did what was natural and sinned. A man up right as you call it but with a sin nature. I believe this was God's plan all along. The reason is because God would never have man love Him if there was no other choice for man. Forced love is not love at all. Love can only be love if the lover is free to do so.
    MB

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thinking along the same lines.

Certainly reconciliation was needed and men would die physically. But God didn't seem to disappear or withdraw Himself from Adam.

I think the issue is one of spiritualizing Scripture to a point Scripture cannot stand on its own without man creating a narrative for support. The problem is that @The Biblicist 's presentation is barely dependent on Scripture at all. His theories can stand on moral philosophy apart from the Bible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Yeah, all that hot air without one exegetical based reason really makes your point. Can something die which is not alive???:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

If you remember, as a direct result of their sin, Adam and Eve covered and hid themselves from God's physical presence. God did not ask where they were because He was ignorant and didn't know where they were. He wanted them to realize their sins separated them from him which was manifested by hiding themselves from his physical presence.

Secondly, He did not call them to Himself for fellowship but to judge them and cast them out of the garden.

Third, you are confusing hearing God's AUDIBLE voice which was intended for them to hear by their PHYSICAL ear in contrast with God's internal voice by his spirit which they had no awarness of because of their sins.

Fourth, the attempt to conceal their bodies by leaves and hiding in the Garden demonstrates a change in their moral nature as it appears that this physical fellowship with God had been the norm.

Try again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can one hold a corpse morally responsible? Can one kill something which is already dead? :rolleyes:

You see, your theories do not hold up. Can someone who is not spiritually alive die physically? Better yet, can One who is Life experience a physical death?

You seem to have somehow spiritualized death to mean a "spiritual death" when historically (and biblically) it is a physical death and then the Judgment (which is Christ centered). The "second death" is where those who do not have spiritual life die (when hades and death are cast into the lake of fire).

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is in the Bible.
    This is not actually in the Bible. But sin does separate us.
    Not in the Bible. They were cast out so they would not eat of the Tree of Life. But even afterwards we see God in fellowship with Adam, Able, and to an extent Cain. Later we will see this with Enoch and Noah and David. There are probably too many examples that disprove your theory to list in one thread.
    Again, not in Scripture.
    Not in the Bible.

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It most certainly is in the Bible as it takes up most of Genesis 3. He called them and confronted them with their sins and pronounced judgement on them:

9 ¶ And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
    10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
    11 ¶ And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
    12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
    13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
    14 ¶ And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
    15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
    16 ¶ Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. {to thy … : or, subject to thy husband }
    17 ¶ And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; {bring … : Heb. cause to bud }
    19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.......

They were called,
    They were confronted
    They were judged
    Try again!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I granted that 5% of your post was in Scripture. I am talking about the 95% you made up.

Try again....but compare Genesis 3 to what you actually wrote first. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I listed 5 points and you admitted 2 were in the Bible and you were wrong about a third point. That means I got 3 out of 5. Where did you learn math? You are about as good with math as you are with theology:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm of the falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus mindset this evening. You were lucky to rate 5%. :Laugh

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A clear indication of that is found in Hebrews2:
    5 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak.

6 But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man that thou visitest him?

7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:

8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Man was originally made lower than the Angels, but those in Christ are raised above them

1cor6:

1 Corinthians 6 King James Version (KJV)

6 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

That may pertain to foundations as a wrong foudation means everything built upon it is no better than the foundation. However, my foundations were solid:Laugh and so were the inferences drawn from those foundations.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Biblicist has correctly offered the texts and teaching on spiritual death when he was posting to Hank D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.