1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chronological Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, May 23, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exactly a "Bible Versions & Translations" topic (though they come in versions), but...

Does anyone own, use or recommend a Chronological Study Bible? This is one type of Study Bible I have at times thought of purchasing but never have.

One the one hand, I could see that it might be interesting and useful. It could also have a downside. Does it go by the historical timeline of the events or the historical timeline of the writing? Whose historical timeline will be accepted or rejected? Lots of difference of opinion of dating and chronology among liberal and conservative scholars.

So, any of you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My personal take on Chronological Bibles - they're novelty items.

Each book of the Bible was written with a message and a purpose.
    To break up a book and piece it together in a timeline may help a reader understand history (at least a history invisioned by the person putting it together) but it destroys the authors message.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I read through the Bible one year using a chronological order but I've never purchased a chronological Bible. I LOVED the method because it just suddenly really made sense - so many things happening in different books at the same time. The best part of this was reading Psalms as I read through David's life in the Samuels. :) I don't need another book but again - reading this way was really good to me.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in general agreement with Rob, although I think a chronology of the Pauline epistles is helpful because you understand how his emphasis changes over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1980's I taught college/seminary Bible classes. A resource students purchased was "Reese's Chronological Bible" that was well-received and "fundamentalist/dispensational" in perspective. And LOTS of suck-out-of-your-thumb arrangement of texts and commentary that often overshadowed the English translation of God's Word. Very hard to follow, but causes one to think thru each passage (we who have been believers a long time get "used to" the layout of the Bible and need to "shake up" our rote understanding.

I'd recommend it as a variant study/text like you would read other English translations than your favorite text, to give some ideas and insights you might miss.

upload_2017-5-24_9-25-48.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. alphaomega

alphaomega New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    i have made a chronological gospel set for myself
    i think it helps see things better

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would be nice to have one just for the pauline Epistles!

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ^^ This ^^

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chronological Bible reading versue Chronological Study Bible -- I suspect this is one that the CBS will never be all that popular. I searched online and it seems that there are several guides for reading through the Bible chronologically in a year. For example, I found the Blue Letter Bible Daily Bible Reading Chronological Plan, described thusly:
    Thanks, Dr. Bob, for mentioning a specific CBS. I think this is the one I heard of way back when, about the same time frame you mention. I also agree that shaking up what we normally do can cause us to think in directions we normally would not.

I agree with the big picture point -- that each book of the Bible was written with a message and a purpose. I would further say that divine truth transcends time and history. On the other hand, the Bible is an historical book. Internal evidence shows numerous places that the events of a book are specified with an historical reference point. For example, God tells us that Isaiah began his ministry in the year King Uzziah died. The book of Ruth belongs in the time period of the Judges. A number of Psalms are tied to historical events. God even bothered to identify the rebellious rascal Jonah as a prophet mentioned in 2 Kings, which drops him in a certain time in history. We might not miss much by not knowing that, but knowing that can suggest there were other prophets living at the same time and cause us to meditate on why, of these available, that God chose the one he knew would run?

Doubtless we could weary ourselves digging around in little historical details and miss the weightier matters such as judgment, mercy, and faith. But if we can see the Bible in historical perspective while seeing the big picture, we will not have studied that in vain.

#9 rlvaughn, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. johnjudge

johnjudge Member

I am using a Study version now (about a 3rd thru) and have enjoyed it.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the One-Year Chronological Bible and the Chronological Life Application Study Bible.

My One-Year CB is probably the best Bible I've owned. It helps tremendously to read the Psalms in their context of when and why they were written [for the ones that have a context in another book of the Bible.] And the commentary isn't really a commentary but a background of what was going on in the world, the church, the culture, and more to help in understanding.

I had a young man from seminary who gently "scolded" me and another woman recently in his Discipleship Training for using a chronological Bible. Yes, I kept quiet and it ticked me off, but I got over it. I love him and his little family and pray for them often.

I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand what's wrong with reading the Bible chronologically.

I'm all for reading and studying an entire book of the Bible at once. That's how I teach Sunday School and my weekly community Bible study. I also believe that reading chronologically can aid in study and that's a great thing for me. AND it actually helps me as a teacher.

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What study version is the one you have, John?