1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church never got back with me regarding evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 5, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to read Way of the Master since that is the book with all the footnotes and depth on the topic.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I wrote previously, I am doing exactly that. I am giving the book a fair reading, but I am quite unconvinced. You need to realize that there is an extremely good chance I am going to disagree with his conclusions and it won't be because I have been unfair or don't understand the book. He has already made a number of unsupported assertions and doesn't give any indication that he is going to back them up. Among them are:

1.) The point of the gospel is to make it to "Heaven." (This seems to be assumed, not spelled out.) There has been no discussion of the kingdom of God - the major theme of Jesus - and the bigger picture of what God is doing with humankind.
    2.) "Go through the books of Acts and see if you can find any of the disciples telling sinners that God loved them and had a wonderful plan for their lives. Instead, they confronted their hearers as guilty criminals - enemies of God who desperately needed righteousness." (WOTM, page 31) While it is true in some circumstances (usually for the Jewish audiences), it is not at all true for the Gentile audiences.
    3.) The woman caught in adultery who ended up before the feet of Jesus (John 8:3-11) was apparently brought there by the "terror of the Law" instead of the scribes and Pharisees as the scripture states. As Comfort claims, "I doubt she would have fallen at the feet of Jesus without the terror of the Law having driven her there. Thank God that it awakened her and caused her to flee to the Savior." (WOTM, page 51) That's simply twisting the story a bit to make it fit into the point he is trying to make, since Jesus inconveniently did not use the WOTM presentation in that passage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will look up these quotes later. But you need to approach the book with a open mind. Plenty plenty of Baptist churches use WOTM.

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beyond looking them up, you need to think about whether or not they are true.

My mind is wide open, but I also know what the Bible says and teaches. From what I have seen so far, Comfort is a little off target. He is trying to figure out why conversions are not what they should be and he has come to the conclusion that many of the modern methods of presenting the gospel are not quite right... I agree. He then asserts that the way to do it is by ensuring that people get convicted by the Law (he seems to be looking for an emotional response, not just the conviction of the Spirit) instead of a realizing that the call of Jesus is into discipleship into Kingdom life.

That's not an argument. Comfort points out that the popularity of a method does not have any correlation as to whether or not it is correct. I agree with him on that point.

Plenty of Baptist churches are dying or failing in their mission too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Continue to read, continue to read and post back....

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will. You need to think about his assertion that the early church, as recorded in the book of Acts, ALWAYS approached sinners as "guilty criminals." That's simply not true. Moreover, you need to think about why Comfort would distort the story of the woman caught in adultery as being brought to the feet of Jesus by "the terror of the Law" than by an angry mob. Go back and read his words in context (see WOTM, page 51) and see if he is treating scripture properly - even if he is interpreting the mob as personifying "the terror of the Law," which doesn't work for the point he is attempting to make.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you look up those quotes, like you said you would?

He's given an open mind, you're obligated to give him honest interaction

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking at page 51 I am not sure where you are getting the phrase "angry mob" but anyways Comfort uses the phrase "I doubt if she would have fallen at the feet of Jesus without the terror of the law having driven her there" (51, The Way of the Master). Comfort in this sentence is not saying that she would have fallen at the feet of Jesus by the law, he simply said that he doubted that she would have without the law, and I agree with him. Jesus did use the law to show her sin to her.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relax. I have the book on my desk and am looking at the quotes as I type.

• Like Like x 1
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am on page 31 and I say that Comfort is correct. Can you find a single instance in the book of Acts of the disciples telling PROUD SINNERS that God loves them and has a wonderful plan for their lives? Remember if you read the entire books in full you will understand the principle "law to the proud and grace for the humble" and by this Comfort is arguing that the proud get the law, and the humble get grace. Comfort does not say we cannot tell sinners that God loves them, but we must do so with those that want the gospel and want to hear it, and want to get saved.

Continue to post your page numbers and quotes. Ultimately I think you misunderstand the point Comfort is trying to make but continue to post. I am not saying that Comfort is perfect in his theology for he is not. But his principle of evangelism is very good and the best that I am aware of.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are my words. She was brought to Jesus by a mob who was planning to stone her. They put her at the "center of the court." (John 8:3)

Why does he doubt it? It wasn't the "terror of the law" that brought here there. It was a mob of scribes and Pharisees literally taking her there.

But she wasn't brought there by "the Law" at all! It was the scribes and Pharisees.

Where is the Law in His words to her?

"Straightening up, Jesus said to her, 'Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?' She said, "No one, Lord.' And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more."

There's not a bit of "Law" in His words to her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turn to page 109 and you will see that he wrote an entire chapter on making grace amazing.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Oops my mistake Jesus did not use the law with her but It was the terror of the law that drove her to the feet of Jesus, and it was Jesus that freed her. She was caught in adultery (commandment 7) and violated it. The scribes and Pharisees knew the commandments and brought her out to stone her because she violated one of them.

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not the assertion I'm pointing out. I only quoted that sentence for context to show he is talking about the book of Acts. It is the sentence that follows that statement that is the issue: "Instead, they confronted their hearers as guilty criminals - enemies of God who desperately needed righteousness." (WOTM, page 31)
    That is patently untrue.

I understand that is his position, but he has not demonstrated it either. I'm not dealing with that issue yet since it is dependent upon the assertion above - that the only proper way to evangelize is to confront others as "guilty criminals."

So where do you have theological disagreement with Comfort?

As for me, I am fond of the way of Jesus not the WOTM.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thats because you have not yet finished the books and do not understand the points he is trying to make. He speaks much of grace if you would read the entire books. Continue to read and post.... I am headed to diner.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, we agree about that.

No, it was the scribes and Pharisees. This is the main distortion Comfort makes.

Jesus did free her, but it wasn't like you originally said.

It's besides the point, but it takes two to tango. They brought her to Jesus to put Him in an impossible situation so they could accuse him.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before I head to dinner I will say this.

The main POINT in the books is to teach evangelists to use the 10 commandments to show sinners their sin. It is the Holy Spirit that convicts of sin. Comfort also believes in showing humble people grace as he argues in both books The Way of the Master and Hells Best Kept secret.

MOST evangelism methods these days ignore the 10 commandments and so suffer as a result. MANY falsely believe that this is Comforts method and Comfort originated this principle but he did not.

Ernest Resigner who is now dead believed in using the 10 commandments to show sinners their sin.

"If you do away with the ten commandments there is no such thing as sin("...sin) is the transgression of the law"---1 John 3:4). If there is not sin, the cross is not necessary" (Todays evangelism, 17).

If you have not already I suggest you purchase this book "Todays Evangelism" by Ernest Resigner and give it a read. Its better written than Comforts books and I believe shows more how the five points work together in evangelism over any other book that I have read.

Look you can get a copy for $1.00 used.

For some reason my amazon.com link vanished. But go out and buy the book Todays Evangelism by Ernest Reisinger.

PS- I tell you what if you cannot afford $1.00 I will buy the book for you and mail it to you if you PM me your address.

18. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the problem is that scripture doesn't teach that. You need to stop trying to divert to a different book because you're not finished with the first one

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I was pointing him to read that book along with WOTM and Hells best Kept Secret.

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I just can't take this thread :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1