1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church never got back with me regarding evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 5, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then buy the book The Way of the Master and give it a read.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No need. Got the training at my church years ago from Kirk and Ray.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I'm plugging through WOTM and I keep choking on all of the odd unsubstantiated and false assertions he makes:

Page 74:

"God, the Father, sent His Spirit to search for a bride for His only begotten Son. He has chosen the Ten Commandments to carry this special message."

"The true convert comes to the Savior simply to satisfy the demands of a holy Law."

Page 75:

"If the Law of Moses did not demand death for sin, Jesus would not have to die."

• Like Like x 1
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will look these up when I get home but you have to admit you are just a critic of WOTM. What say you of all the footnotes and quotes from old books?

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Just a critic"?

I am reading thoughtfully and carefully. You seem to be alleging that I am being unfair. I have not made a final evaluation. I'm watching him make his case, but he seems to be building it on a false foundation.

I don't think he is evil or dishonest, but he seems to be marshaling scripture to prove his premise instead of expositing scripture to reveal its truth.

I just don't want you to be surprised if I am not converted to WOTM thinking/methodology.

I'm reading them. Just because they are quoted doesn't make them right. Moreover, I don't really have many issues with the quotes. Mr. Comfort's writing is what concerns me.

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My viewpoint on the book just took a shift.

One of the obvious places where Paul didn't use "the Law" in his preaching was in Athens (Acts 17).

Yet on page 83 (in the midst of a clam that both Jesus and Paul ALWAYS used the Law in evangelism), Comfort writes:

"Paul did the same, as seen at Athens, when he used the essence of the first and second Commandments to reprove the Athenians idolatry..."

I reread the very familiar passage and Paul did not reference the Law at all. However, he did use knowledge of God found in the first two commandment (as well as everywhere else) in his proclamation of the gospel.

If I give Comfort the benefit of the doubt and shift my understanding of using "the Law" to mean the use of biblical knowledge, then I have no quarrel with him except that I wonder why he wrote the book. If that's his point, then he's really speaking only to those persons who love the teaching of people like Joel Osteen. That also completely undermines his lengthy exposition regarding the lack of concern about Christians demonstrating spiritual maturity by evangelizing.

If I hold to the idea that he actually had a point in the first 80 pages other to discredit prosperity preachers, then I have to conclude that Comfort is not above twisting scriptural examples to fit his mold (kind of like the previously mentioned woman caught in adultery being brought to the feet of Jesus by "the terror of the Law" instead of the crowds as John 8 clearly teaches).

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you are looking at the book with the wrong lens. Comfort is no theologian but a motivator. If you want deeper theology check out Today's evangelism it's message and methods.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for pointing out these quotes to me. After looking at the book I can agree that he does make some foolish statements. However my point remains... Comfort is a motivator and a inspiration to encourage and equip people for the work for evangelism. He is not a theologian so will make foolish statements here and there. If you want more balance then get the book "Todays evangelism Its message and methods." In that book does the author show the reader how the five points of Calvinism work together in evangelism. Also the author makes a case for the moral law (10 commandments) and says they need to be a part of the evangelists message.

Comforts foolish statements in WOTM do not dispariage from his main thesis which is law to the proud and grace for the humble.

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has taken the role of a theologian to straighten out the way we evangelize. His message needs to be evaluated on the basis of his theology, since he is claiming his way to be the biblical way - indeed, THE Way of the Master.

I'm not looking for deep theology, I'm looking for correct theology and methods.

You have just conceded that he is wrong and his methods are suspect. Why are you condemning churches that don't fall in line with the WOTM(sic)?

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Comfort a Calvinist? Doesn't write like one. He seems too concerned about ensuring mental assent to conviction of sin rather than the Spirit's conviction. Moreover, his method is eager to "seal the deal" instead of partnering with God for a longer journey of conversion in evangelism.

They do if he builds his case in them, as he seems to be doing.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I am saying he is not perfect but The Way of the Master is indeed for the most part The Way of the Master.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he is not a Calvinist but he still is a good author and evangelist. Keep on reading..

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also I do not condemn churches that are not WOTM based. I am sad that they are not, but I do not condemn them. I think that they SHOULD use the 10 commandments in their evangelism and this is what Reisinger argues for like Comfort in his book.

Basically I think that the WOTM thesis is the best way to evangelize but not the only way.

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. The message of John the Baptist. Jesus, and the disciples that Jesus sent out was "Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand."

Repentance was a change of mind/orientation toward God and away from the way one had been living their life (even religious life). It did not necessarily have anything to do with sin, although it often did.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Keep on reading...

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Way of the master is very big on repentance. How you could miss this is beyond me. Keep on reading....

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also the false claim that WOTM is against discipleship is shown to be a misunderstanding in the chapter on page 179 in the book "Hells Best Kept Secret."

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another of Comforts books which I own electronically I did a keyword search for the word "repentance" and found 25 matches. Read some of the examples and Comfort does make a big case for repentance. If I owned WOTM or Hells Best Kept secret in an electronic form I bet I could find far more examples of repentance being used by Comfort.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know why the church did not get back with me. It's because their main philosophy is lifestyle evangelism as I learned today in the new members class.