1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church never got back with me regarding evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 5, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I applaud Comfort as a motivator. But lest we forget, Osteen is a motivator as well (and a fairly good one at that). I am not comparing the two men, just trying to illustrate a point. Doctrine matters.

#81 JonC, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting for Baptist Believer to post more quotes. He has many misunderstandings of the book and perhaps they are being corrected as he reads.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comfort is all for doctrine and takes scripture seriously. You should give the book a read.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots and lots of people have been blessed by the book. Its a shame that the people on this board have not taken it seriously. Here is one review from a "pastor."

5.0 out of 5 starsThe Bible way to witness!
    ByPastor Randyon November 28, 2006
    Format: Paperback
    I have over 1000 books on evangelism and revival in my personal library, and this is the clearest, most biblical and best presentation of the "how to" and principles of witnessing and evangelism, in print. Ray Comfort not only writes about evangelism - he lives it. I like books by people who actually practice what they preach - and Ray does. The recovered Biblical key of using the law of God (the 10 commandments) in evangelsim really works. I have personally used this principle as a pastor while witnessing in the Deep Ellum area of Dallas. Once 2 girls were weeping so profusely from conviction of sin, that they had to hold on to a parking meter to keep from falling down. Read this book and practice it. I witnessed to a flight attendant on a flight to LA - and she told me that Kirk Cameron had talked to her about her soul, and had given her some "religious pamphlets" (her words) on a flight a week earlier. It seems he also practices what he preaches. Jesus commanded all believers to be a witness - and Ray and Kirk not only tell us how, they also live it.

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    blessed...
    is it possible that people have had their ears tickled? There was a time when I subscribed to the premise of Comfort and Cameron.

And when I heard the gospel, I flatly rejected it.

This Way of the Master stuff is actually the way of the deceiver. A form of godliness by preaching morality, Law, expectations...denying the power of godliness by reducing righteousness to a prescription of works

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a good example of a false premise. Prove your points by quoting for everyone book citations stating the above.

7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right after you prove that this pastor was "blessed" by God rather than his own flesh

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read several of his books (we discussed at least one, perhaps more). I believe that God has gifted Ray Comfort with both a heart and an ability towards evangelism. I also believe that Comfort and TWOTM has been used by God to reach people with the gospel message. So when I say this, please don't think that I'm taking away something from Comfort. But I sometimes wonder if he has not shifted from reaching people to trying to be some type of evangelism guru. His theology is awful. I think his methods are biblical, but the doctrine that he puts forward to support his methods are not. This is why I would not personally want TWOTM in my church (same goes for John Eldridge and his men's ministry....great topic, good material, horrible doctrine). But that does not mean I do not appreciate the man and the way God has used and continues to use him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well at least you have a good explanation unlike some others that roam this board.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a suggestion, but why not start a thread to discuss his doctrine, or TWOTM, or one of those books?
    This is how we discussed a couple of books in the past, and I thought it went well.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont have the time, and besides people will not read the books as people on this board seem unwilling to read one of his books.

12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I think you misunderstand some of the book.

I won't be able to pick it up again until next weekend because of work, family, chores, obligations, church, Bible study, Bible teaching preparation, etc.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look forward to future quotes so you can correct my misunderstandings.

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't mean to come across as condescending. I think your theology is probably better than Comfort's and you're overlooking some things, assuming he doesn't really mean what he has written.

I had a better view of the book when you were explaining it than I have by reading it. I still disagree with both you and the book, but I find you more credible.

• Like Like x 1
  15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His book is wordy but it does fire you up. However for a more balanced and Biblical perspective on evangelism I would recommend Evangelism in the NT by Jon Speed.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I find it tedious. I'm having a hard time getting through it because he is a sloppy thinker and spends a lot of time trying to convince me against things I've never believed instead of making a positive case for his position.

It seems to me that he has almost abandoned his premise that we should present law to "the proud" with his discussion of presenting God as the judge of all. If that had been his starting point - instead of the demonstrably false assertion that Jesus and the early church preached Law - the book would make more sense.

The book makes some major faulty assumptions that it hasn't yet resolved:
    1.) That the gospel is about managing sin so that we can be forgiven. Obviously, sin and our desperate need to be right with God is a big issue, it is not at the heart of the message of Jesus or the early church. Paul spent quite a bit of time in his letters (to churches, not the lost) explaining what Jesus had done on the cross, but it was not the focus of the message of message of Jesus. Jesus preached on the kingdom of God, and sent His followers out with that message. Jesus is not just the path to God or a sacrifice for sins, but He is Lord and His kingdom is available now. Any evangelism message that does not emphasize that aspect of things is preaching an incomplete gospel
    2.) That a certain evangelism method or technique is more effective than others. I have had thousands of conversations with people over the years that took a turn toward the gospel. As a younger Christian, I had been taught that I had to use certain methods to be effective, but I noticed that when I used them, they were geared toward making an immediate decision and not trusting that the Spirit was at work. I have actually had almost no success with methods, but enormous success with letting the Spirit work and being available to speak truth into someone's life through that process. Often it takes a couple of conversations and then we see results. I have had several occasions where someone has reported back to be that a conversation that we had was the beginning of their knowledge of God and that it was the catalyst that took them to conversation, often years later. I am not a full-blown Calvinist, but I do affirm that conversion is primarily of God. I don't feel the need to get a notch in my belt when I evangelize, so I don't need a method to press for conversion. I do not want to short-circuit what the Spirit is doing by trying to make something happen.

I don't really need a book on evangelism other than the scriptures. I have never found a book that didn't obsess over methods instead of understanding and living the gospel, while being sensitive to the Spirit's leading.

• Like Like x 1