COMMON GROUND COFFEE HOUSE #53

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Gina B Active Member

Our weather wouldn't let me sleep!
    We had a tornado come through the other night, technically not one I guess since it didn't touch down.
    It was interesting to see though. The sky was medium blue, then this huge cloud of pure black came up against it. Then it looked like someone was pouring out crimson ink along the edges of the cloud and it spread all over the black, giving the whole area this other-wordly violent red glow. As this was happening the wind stopped dead and we were all standing outside watching it, too awed by how it looked to run until the sudden blast of wind and rain brought us back to our senses and we all scrambled to pack into basement apartments. Just as we did so the tornado alarms sounded.
    LIKE WE WOULDN'T HAVE NOTICED IT WAS THERE!
    I took everything loose in the apt. we were in and tossed it into a bedroom and shut the door and sat the kids in the hallway with crayons and paper and told them not to worry unless we told them to go into the bathroom. We made macaroni and cheese, it went away, we went home, the kids went to bed, and life goes on. The only time we had a tornado touch down btw was the time they did NOT sound the alarm!
    Gina

2. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Good morning Gina!

I think we are getting what you had last night!

The humidity just shot up to 100%. It is thundering, lightning, pitch black, VERY high winds, and raining very hard outside!

I hear sirens from the firetrucks, but am not sure just what got hit by lightning yet. I know we have tornado watches and warnings out in all of the central states (including Illinois).

Guess our shopping and planting will have to wait!

§ue (staying inside)

3. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Came home from Dublin early with a massive headache that has crept all the way into my neck muscles. May or may not get to see you all later tonight :( .

4. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

So sorry to hear that Roger. I will be prayiing for you to feel better real soon.

Anyone have an extra Ark??? :rolleyes:

5. Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We never have that sort of thing in my part of the city. I can't imagine what I would do. Sue, I hope you have all of your family photos and such in a high place. We will pray for you and your home to stay dry.

6. Gina B Active Member

Sue, I've lost more than one modem and my phones from lightning travelling through the wires, might wanna unplug that stuff! Even if the lightning isn't that close, if it hit the phone line it could travel to yours.

Stay safe, stay dry. I'm sure you probably know, but if you don't and you have tornado warnings, put away stuff that flies! All your dishes, toys laying around, put your plants and vases in one room and close the door. Most people are injured/killed by stuff flying around in tornados than anything else. I always pull a mattress out into our "safe" spot to lay longways up against the wall so the kids can crawl under it if need be.
    I also keep my keys, a lighter, and a tiny emergency candle on my person when tornado warnings come.
    Having been in an F8 when I was younger I am PARANOID and always take extra precautions.
    It may sound extreme, but if a tornado were to actually hit it would be well worth the trouble!
    Gina

7. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy Howdy from sunny, 59F, DRY Wyoming.

Noisey Casper. The city street in front of our home is being replaced - new boulevard, curb, gutter; new storm sewers and totally new road bed; handicapped crosswalks on each end. So the first of the crews are out with cement cutters.

A block away, but tearing out the old curb/gutter with jack hammer, et al. HELLO??!! Can't hear myself think!

Lived here since 1988 and we have open windows and lots of wind in Casper, so everything gets a coating of dust.

RATHER HAVE DUST THAN A TORNADO!

8. Dan Todd Active Member

Just think of the benefits of a tornado on house cleaning. It would take all the dust away!

9. following-Him Active Member

Not really Dan, it would just scatter it and the dust would soon settle again. :rolleyes:

10. dianetavegia Guest

Good Evening everyone! Just dropping by. Had some things to do for Jim and continue to search for a full time day job. His night job is now 3:30 til midnight so an extra 35 cents an hour but that won't help!

I've had some interest from ladies wanting to know if I could do afternoon child care once school starts again but that's a LONG time from now when I need something now.

Diane

11. following-Him Active Member

Hello Diane,

Still praying for you and Jim.
    It is after 2 am here, so I best be off to bed now and try and sleep.

God Bless

Sheila

12. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I am turning in folks. It has been a long, emotionally-upsetting, unproductive day. The kind that makes me tired!

I didn't have any of the grandkids today. Daughter keeps changing plans on me, so I'm not going to make any!

Pleasant dreams all!
    §ue

13. dianetavegia Guest

Wow, Sheila you are up LATE! I did that last night. I feel like I need to be awake when Jim comes home but then that only gives me a few hours sleep a night and I don't function well on less than 8 hours sleep.

Diane

14. Dan Todd Active Member

Sue - tell your daughter to leave the grandchildren with you - and go home!

Either that - or give her a good spanking!

15. following-Him Active Member

Diane,

I couldn't sleep. I resisted the temptation to post on BB at 3.30am and again at 4.20 am... :eek:

Good Morning to you all. Well, I think I could sleep now, but I have to get up. :rolleyes: Have a great day,

Blessings

Sheila

16. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Morning Sheila,

Sorry to hear about your sleepless night.

I know how they feel :( .

Roger

17. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every time I flip up the lap top, it defaults to the BB. Tempting all the time!

Temp is dropping quickly - down to 53F at midnight and wind picking up. We may do well to hit 60F tomorrow.

But tonight I'm just wandering through a coupla threads and heading to do some reading.

18. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And so to bed (NOT a double post just because I'm the only one up and posting!!)

19. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Good morning all:

It must be catching. I did not sleep well last night at all! I was up and down all night with an upset stomach, finally falling asleep around 2AM, then had weird dreams.

Can you spell S T R E S S? I have got to stop obsessing about things that are beyond my control!

72º with humidity at 94% and more rain forecast for today. I need to go grocery shopping, but it's hard to buy food when you can hardly stand to look at it without getting sick! I guess that's one way to lose weight...

Cruising...
    §ue

20. Dan Todd Active Member

I haven't slept well the last few nights.

Probably because the house is so warm. -- but mind you - I'm not complaining about the heat!