1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Commonly misquoted bible verses

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, May 27, 2019.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one that often gets misapplied or misinterpreted.

Luke 22:31-32 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: but I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing controversial, but how about the doctrine of the pre-tribulation rapture. That one is being taught in a lot of Baptist churches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are number of issues. There is a claim for the imminent return of Christ. And there is a claim for the tribulation being the wrath of God. There is the claim for a divided occurance for the resurrection of the save. Both a resurrection before and after the tribulaton. With the rapture before. And there are other points of disagreement.

I was taught pre-trib. Wanting to understand better the teaching and what it was I was reading in Scripture, I bought a book. After reading The Rapture Question by Walvoord, I came to conclude, contrary to his view, to a post tribulational view. Which I hold to this day. It was not the post trib view that was refuted in the book.

Over 30 or so years ago, I had one brother at church that would discuss the issue with me. He change his view to mine.

The issue is a whole. But it cannot be dealt with on the whole. It has to be done in parts. Because of the whole, the points on the parts are dismissed do to its other parts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    9 Then Satan answered Jehovah, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought? Job 1

4 And Satan answered Jehovah, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
    5 But put forth thy hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will renounce thee to thy face. Job 2

31 Simon, Simon, behold, Satan asked to have you, that he might sift you as wheat: Lu 22:31

Makes me curious of the dialogue that may have occurred concerning Adam and Eve prior to the fall.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even people reading this in the King James Version or some other Bible that has singular and plural "you" forms, often read over the plural/singular distinction in the text. I know I did, for many years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, I had to laugh because I thought the bible actually said your example of the misrepresentation. Live and learn.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Live and learn is right. When we stop learning - I believe we die bit by bit spiritually.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And once again, the same mischaracterization and misinterpretation is presented by those who ignore the rebuttal. Does verse 14 say "...not any of the things of the Spirit of God?" Nope, but that is the bogus addition to the text to pour falsehood into their understanding. Scripture clearly teaches "men of flesh" can understand some of the things of the Spirit of God, spiritual milk, the fundamentals of the gospel. Just read 1 Corinthians 3:1-2

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it.

Clearly, obviously men of flesh can understand spiritual milk, but not spiritual solid food, for one must be indwelt to receive and understand it.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verse says nothing about the "elect". Who does "all" leave out? God leaves the door open for anyone still alive in the flesh to become "elect".

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Robocop3, your observation is spot on, they interpret inclusion or exclusion based on their presumptions. Here they add to "all" the exclusion "of the elect." Same with Christ laying down His life as a ransom for all men. Or God desires all men to be saved. In every case they simply add via interpretation their exclusion.
    There is no actual support in scripture for the whole world referring not to all mankind, but only to the elect.

11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While it may technically be a misquote, it is too close to Proverbs 13:24 to be problematic.

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." --Proverbs 13:24

However, there can be serious problems misunderstanding such passages.

Consider the following "application" of Proverbs 22:15: "Boy, I'm gonna beat the fool out of you!"

"Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him." --Proverbs 22:15

These passages are there to reassure those hesitant to discipline, not to validate those prone to abuse disciplinary measures.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The elect have already been elected.
    No one becomes elect.
    Not one of those spoken of will perish
    Peter is writing to the elect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Completely false assertions without support from scripture.

1) God corporately elected everyone who will be redeemed when He chose His Redeemer. Ephesians 1:4.

2) God individually elects for salvation those whose faith He credits as righteousness, 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14.

3) God is long suffering to provide the opportunity for the lost to believe into Christ. God is patient toward us, His ambassadors, to give us the all the time needed to make disciples and teach them all Christ commanded. 2 Peter 3:9

4) Peter exhorts believers to spread the gospel to the lost, because God is not willing for any to perish.

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every single person 2 pet 3:9 is speaking of will be saved

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #3.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another false statement without any support from scripture.
    To repeat the obvious:
    God is long suffering to provide the opportunity for the lost to believe into Christ. God is patient toward us, His ambassadors, to give us the all the time needed to make disciples and teach them all Christ commanded. 2 Peter 3:9

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How very unfortunate that 2 Peter 3 is so maligned!

1This is now the second letter that I am writing to you, beloved. In both of them I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder, 2that you should remember the predictions of the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior through your apostles, 3knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. 4They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.” 5For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God, 6and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished.7But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

8But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you,a not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 10But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed.
    Folks this whole passage is not about salvation but preservation!

God has selected and does preserve. Peter is reminding believers that time means nothing to God. He does nothing until the right time according to Him, not human recognition and conjuring.

With in that context, God has those who will come to repentance. Those specific individuals for which He has held back calamity. His time is that when the last He chose to be redeemed are redeemed, those He commands to repent, repent, that time line history is suspended.

Look at the context, see the “deliberate overlooking” done by some, and to those believers Peter is saying don’t “overlook the fact.”

In the context “all come to repentance” is not just anyone. It is those as Peter IN context shows that the YOU in verse 9 are believers, and the patience is extended to believers, that all believers repent.

How, if one escape understanding of these simple truths, do they expect to dip into the fathomless riches and find any truth?

Everyone please remember Paul wrote to Timothy:
    ...the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, 25correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, 26and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.
    Some foolishly claim the “they” and “their” are the unsaved.

No. These are believers who have been deceived into error.

Look for yourself at the context of 2 Timothy 2.

It is the same as 2 Peter 3.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another blast of absurdity!

Salvation is a subject of 2 Peter chapter 3.

Peter and Paul present the same truth, God does not desire any to perish (2 Peter 3:9, 1 Timothy 2:4.

Pay no attention to the claims of those who distort God's word.

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly the passages present the same basic truth..

Certainly, those that discern the truth are to pay attention to erroneous teaching which may deceive and hurt others. They contend for the faith, lest the deceived embrace error.

Key word, “soldier.”

The soldier in 2 Timothy 2 is a _________?
    A. unbeliever
    B. believer
    Neither passage is written to or about the lost coming for salvation. They are as I stated above.

That lack of discernment, often motivated by the desire to grasp something in a vain attempt to support what is not truth, is as bad as one thirsty thinking drinking ocean water is healthy.

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist