1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dating a charismatic

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not yet but I have been chatting with this woman and I had some thoughts on her being a charismatic based on some things she has said and my suspicions were confirmed by a YouTube video she sent me. I am not against contemporary praise worship. However I am against Arminianism and woman preachers, tongues, the sign gifts, etc.. I think she is a charismatic rather than a Pentecostal unlike another gal I chatted with last year.

If things were to move forward how would I conduct myself? I have a charismatic background but I turned Calvinist after that. Some of my favorite authors are Charismatic like John Piper, and Francis Chan. I think I should just focus on the essentials of the faith and avoid secondary debates. Speaking in tongues and the sign gifts is not heresy. Woman preachers are bad news however and I won't tolerate a woman pastor.

Boy oh boy.....

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make sure that she is NOT into word of faith, proseprity Gospel, as that would make her a non starter dating wise, as you and her would be unequally yoked!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    would you be comfortable with her if she prayed in tongues, or had a prophecy at church?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have spoken out against charismatics in the past (and strongly so). Given the difficulty that your wife's fundamentalist views have caused you I'd suggest that you exercise discernment and caution.

I remember you speaking of the Christian duty to “battle the Charismatics”. You even said that this battle will cause others to accuse you of being “unloving, divisive, combative, argumentative, [and] cultic.” You challenged us to engage in this war against Charismatics because many souls were at stake, stating “if you want to help me engage the war on the Charismatics you will need a weapon” and offered a GraceToYou link.

My concern is that you will abandon your faith for a woman and then struggle to change her towards your views. I worry that this will have the same result that it had with your wife.

The War on the Charismatic Movement

#4 JonC, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right now, dating should be the furthest thing from you life.
    You have too many other issues to deal with.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty’s comment reminded me to ask:

Last year you told us your wife had cancer. She (and you) have been in my prayers (and I’m sure on the list of others as well). How is she doing in her struggle with cancer?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize you have decided I am your enemy, but I want to point out something that I see from what you tell us about your life:

You have very strong convictions until a woman is involved. Then it seems that all bets are off and you lose every conviction you have previously claimed to justify whatever relationship you want to enter into or want to get out of.

The scriptures show us this tremendous weakness of men, over and over, to think with their urges and not with their minds.

Women are not inherently tempters, but men should not compromise who they are just to be with them. You are making yourself a fraud before God, the woman, and the world when you cast aside what you have claimed to be the essence and character of your faith.

At the same time, I would be delighted if you changed some of your theology, thinking and attitudes, so I am not against you rethinking the big issues, but don't do that in the context of trying to get together with a woman. If it even "works", both of you will be unhappy and you with have betrayed your testimony.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cycle repeats itself....

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever heard of a talking Gremlin?

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not practice it.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea. She never responds to my messages.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why is it that these are huge issues until a woman comes along? You saw just what it was like when you had differences with your wife so why are you even considering moving this forward into more of a relationship? Don't compromise. Move on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your childish response proves Salty is right.

1. You married a woman you had no business marrying.

2. You abandoned the woman, violated your vows to God and made before witnesses.

3. Now you are planning to commit adultery with another victim.

4. And you are openly bragging about it on an internet forum.

5. You claim to believe in "Lordship Salvation" but your life is obviously not under the Lordship of Christ.

I suggest you leave the internet, spend the time you waste here on your face before the Throne of God and get your life back under His Lordship. :(

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My critics always have something to criticize me for!

15. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me get this straight, a few years ago you were dating another women who was against drinking, went to an IFB church, and was armininan in theology, but since these were "non essential" you thought you could make it work. You than failed to lead your new wife spiritually joining her church and than when you chafed under their rules(that you choose to put yourself under) you started complaining about them and her on a public forum. You were warned at several points in your relationship with your wife that you were on a pathway to divorce. This was told to you before you married her and while you were married to her. Now you have divorced her without Biblical cause and now are heading down the same path again with a charismatic women.
    You need to learn from your past and not make the same mistake again, (nevermind the fact that you cannot biblically remarry Matthew 19:9 ).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Your ungodly behavior. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A critic can never see anything positive in me!

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You hide it well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For my critics yes.

20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would recommend you conduct yourself by not moving forward. evangelist6589, I don't know you or your personal situation, but from some things you and others have posted here, you have a wife from who you are divorced and that you are both professing Christians. Is that correct? If so, the Bible teaching from I Corinthians 7:10-11 is to remain unmarried in hopes of reconciliation.

• Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.