Decisional Regeneration? What about today’s popular “alter call”

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, As they will always choose to reject left to own devices, they will accept because they now desire to do such!

2. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sinner receives Jesus as Lord apart form the work of the Holy Spirit, as per Paul!

3. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think that the Roman Catholic nun would reject, even though they are in darkness?

4. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is this in scripture?
    MB

5. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In conviction!

6. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    states to lost none who are lost will be saving Jesus is Lord will get saved apart from Holy Spirit enabling them to repent and believe!

9. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "John L. Dagg (first writing Southern Baptist theologian; president of Mercer University in Georgia): "In our natural state we are totally depraved. No inclination to holiness exists in the carnal heart; and no holy act can be performed, or service to God rendered, until the heart is changed. This change, it is the office of the Holy Spirit to effect. . . . But, in his own time and manner, God, the Holy Spirit, makes the word effectual in producing a new affection in the soul: and, when the first movement of love to God exists, the first throb of spiritual life commences" (A Manual of Theology, pp. 277, 279)."

Paul:
    15 But when it was the good pleasure of God, who separated me, even from my mother`s womb, and called me through his grace,
    16 to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the Gentiles; straightway I conferred not with flesh and blood: Gal 1

[add]

Study note from the Reformation Study Bible:

"....“When the RSB speaks in the notes of John 3 of "infants being born again," it is speaking of the work of quickening God does in them which inclines their will to Him. In Protestantism, regeneration always precedes faith and if God quickens them, the person will surely come . . .Often, regeneration and our subsequent faith happen apparently simultaneously but logically, regeneration must precede faith. An infant’s faith may not come until years after God has worked by His Holy Spirit to regenerate him or her. Two Biblical examples of infants who were born again are seen in Psalm 22:9-10 and Luke 1:15.”..."

10. DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right but I was responding to a post that suggested that you might have people walking around who have been saved but have not yet believed or decided to become a Christian. I say that is impossible so you help nothing by correcting folks who say they got saved when they decided to believe. Yes, they were born again first but that cannot be separated from the act of belief. Jesus discourse with Nicodemus in John shows no concern with claiming on one hand that you must be born from above and at the same time saying you must believe.
    (By the way, is that "A Manual of Theology" a pretty good book? I have a Kindle and saw that I could get it for 3 bucks!)

11. 1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter raises questions about your position.

“Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.” Acts 10:34–35 (KJV 1900)

Of course, only the born-again can do this. But it shows that His atoned for elect are found in people like Cornelius who did "saved" works long before he ever heard Peter preach. Why preach if only the born-again can discern the truth in it?

12. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what of "worketh righteousness is accepted by Him"? WORKS!!!

13. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably a foreign concept to you (most likely due to the influence of 'born again/anew' translations), but if one is "born from above" while in the womb it can hardly be considered 'born again/anew':

15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and he shall drink no wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother`s womb. Lu 1

Hard for me to think of that as being a dead alien sinner bound for hell. He leapt for joy in the womb at the presence of Christ!

14. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is talking about John the Baptist and not every human being! How you guys love to wrest with the Bible!

15. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT wresting the scripture. This applies to every saint:

7 `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above;
    8 the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.` Jn 3

26 and the Jerusalem above is the free-woman, which is mother of us all, Gal 4

"The Spirit where he willeth doth blow", and that includes the womb. There's no where the Spirit cannot reach.

16. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 3 is clearly teaching that the second birth is not outward but inward and spiritual. Cannot be seen by the human eye

17. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No where in John 3 did Christ use the term 'second birth'. He spoke only of born from above synonymous with born of the Spirit:

7 `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above;
    8 the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.` Jn 3

18. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the conversation with Nicodemus who asks if it is possible for a person to enter again into their mother's womb. To which Jesus responds about the spiritual rebirth. Very clear to non-reformed

19. kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No where in John 3 did Christ use the term 'second birth'. He spoke only of born from above synonymous with born of the Spirit:

20. percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you agree with this thought?

It is told to many, yet only those God is taking out, calling, understand as in; Acts 15:14 Simeon did declare how at first God did look after to take out of the nations a people for His name,

Do we not see the same thing with Paul on the road to Damascus? All with him saw the light but it appears only Paul, the one being called, understood what was said.

Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom of God. I believe that is, the gospel, that was/is to be preached until the end of the age. I believe that is, the gospel, Paul preached. Acts 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.

Question?
    How is God taking out of the nations, a people for his name, relative to the gospel of the kingdom of God? What are they relative to Christ, to do, in the kingdom of God?

1 Cor 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you (the gospel of the kingdom of God), which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Christ dies for our sins, was buried, rose again the third day. First of all. Why?
    What does that have to do with, the gospel of the kingdom of God?

Acts 13:28-33 And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain. And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. But God raised him from the dead: And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people. And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers, God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again (out of the dead); as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day (the day the Father raised the Son, out of the dead) have I begotten thee.

What did Jesus, the Christ, say about the kingdom of God (the gospel of the kingdom of God), relative to one who has come in the flesh, ie born of woman?
    BTW let me insert a couple of verses.
    Gal 4:4 NKJV But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born [fn] (or made) of a woman, born under the law, YLT and when the fulness of time did come, God sent forth His Son, come of a woman, come under law, ---and--- 1John 4:2,3 YLT in this know ye the Spirit of God; every spirit that doth confess Jesus Christ in the flesh having come, of God it is, and every spirit that doth not confess Jesus Christ in the flesh having come, of God it is not; and this is that of the antichrist, which ye heard that it doth come, and now in the world it is already.
    Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Again; What did Jesus, the Christ, say about the kingdom of God (the gospel of the kingdom of God), relative to one who has come in flesh, ie born of woman?

John 3:3-7 KJV Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man <(any one) be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

First of all. Why? Maybe? Relative to the gospel of the kingdom of God?
    God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again (out of the dead); as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day (the day the Father raised the Son, out of the dead) have I begotten thee.

Why is God calling a people for his name relative to the kingdom of God?

Acts 15:16,17 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, (insert: Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest <(this day I have begotten thee): and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:) which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

and, what will those called out be doing with the Lord? Would that, require eternal, incorruptible bodies ?

Acts 15:8 YLT 'Known from the ages to God are all His works;

Did God know he was going to do this very thing, before the foundation of the world was laid down, before he created Adam in his image, of flesh?

The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God; Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, Mark 1:1,14