Demonic physical manifestations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Steadfast Fred Active Member

By the way, the spirit that you say Job saw?...

Verse 12 reveals that Job was dreaming. He wasn't awake. In other words, it didn't really happen.

2. Winman Active Member

Eliphaz saw and heard a spirit, there is no indication that he summoned this spirit.

Balaam's ass saw an angel of the Lord, but Balaam could not see it at first, yet the angel was truly there. Only when God opened his eyes could Balaam see the angel.

Num 22:21 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab.
    22 And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of the LORD stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him.
    23 And the ass saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the ass turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the ass, to turn her into the way.
    24 But the angel of the LORD stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side.
    25 And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again.
    26 And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.
    27 And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
    28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
    29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
    30 And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.
    31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
    32 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
    33 And the ass saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.
    34 And Balaam said unto the angel of the LORD, I have sinned; for I knew not that thou stoodest in the way against me: now therefore, if it displease thee, I will get me back again.
    35 And the angel of the LORD said unto Balaam, Go with the men: but only the word that I shall speak unto thee, that thou shalt speak. So Balaam went with the princes of Balak.

The angel was in the way even though Balaam could not see it. His mule could see the angel. Once the Lord opened Balaam's eyes he could both see and hear this spirit speak.

Balaam did not summon this angel.

3. righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, You are truly a work in process...

...I think you have stepped over being argumentative with htis comment. I no more summoned a demonic image than I summoned you and your comments. Both happened. Does that make you a demonic figment of my imagination? :laugh:

4. righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for clearing that up...

....you clearly have a gift at seeing what others mean when they speak. The ghost of the murdered man was who I came face to face with. Let's leave it at that...you are pushing the envelope further than it needs to be pushed.

I know what I said. I know what I meant. And I think others know what I was talking about. Therefore, I will leave you to draw up whatever unwarranted judgments your little heart and mind choose to conger up. :laugh:

5. mandym New Member

Yep been there. One instance of prayer may not be the end of it.

6. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Let's see...

First, it's the murdered man you saw eyeball to eyeball
    Then, it wasn't the murdered man, but rather a demonic manifestation.
    Then, it is the ghost of that murdered man.

Can't you get your story straight?

It is clear my judgments are not "unwarranted".

7. Squidward Member

man this is spiraling out of control

8. righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It Often does...

...and as far as I'm concerned, I've beaten that horse (steadfast Fred) as far as humanely possible. I'm moving on, and the dust has already been shaken off my sandals. :thumbs:

This is unfortunately how some of these topics go. So just take away the positive, and leave the personal things to lay like rubbish following an outdoor rock concert. :tear:

9. Steadfast Fred Active Member

you haven't beaten me at all, righteousdude. But if it makes you feel good to think so, think it to your heart's delight.

10. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what we can glan from that specific OT episode is that the Witch did NOT even expect to be able to summon/see anyone, that she was shocked that God had allowed her to "call up" the spirit of the prophet, and that it was God Himself who allowed this to happen!

really an extraordinary event that NO WAYS allows us to do such today in seek to speak to the dead!

11. Ryan.Samples New Member

I knew what you meant. You said you saw the guy. In the context of discussing demons, I understood you to mean the demon took human form. It seems you are using demon and ghost interchangeably (probably best to stick to one term when someone is challenging you) but I still got what you mean... Methinks your opponent lacks the grace, in this instance, to read at face value what you were saying.

12. Ryan.Samples New Member

This response seems to demonstrate a misunderstanding of semantic range and word use. Yes, elohim is plural. That term is used of God. Is God therefore plural? Are there multiple Gods? No... The primary understanding I have seen is that the plural term refers to the plural majesties which we can ascribe to God; we is worthy of plural majesty. You can also consider the deep "pre-trinity" implications of the word's use, but within orthodox Christianity we of course read that as three persons, not Gods.

The confusion with I Samuel 28 seems easily resolved. The witch claims she sees a divine being / God. That doesn't mean she actually saw a divine being, which the context clearly demonstrates. She describes it as such because she doesn't know what she's talking about. Scripture has accurately recorded and preserved her misunderstanding. That doesn't make Samuel a god, nor does it mean she actually saw a god or gods, nor does it mean the Bible is wrong. One must approach the text willing to take it at face value, rather than distort it because of preconceived notions (in this case either for or against demons, etc).

To be very blunt, this thread was very interesting to read, even the UFO parts. We should be very, very careful to question what other people experience. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Furthermore, to be blunt the quality of the thread seemed to go downhill with Steadfast Fred's perpetual comments. You've made your point; mind moving on now? You don't have to agree with it (I doubt many people care if you do, to be honest), but after making your point you can have the grace to stop inserting your same comments over and over again. It would seem any good you are trying to do in "opening the eyes" of your peers here is counteracted by your lack of manners and general unpleasant tone.

13. Ryan.Samples New Member

To be balanced, I wanted to remark: no need to devolve to insults...?

Also, did you ever see a picture of the previous resident and that is the form you saw, or you only heard his description? It would prove incredibly interesting if the form only partially reflected the description (a cowboy-looking dude) rather than appeared in the form of the deceased individual.

14. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I usually stay away from such discussions because of controversy and the hurtful comments some people make. An inference on a recent thread was a good example, and it paralleled the belief of a pastor I met when I was in seminary. It goes this way: "Because the demon-possessed person that fell down in a fit was an epileptic, then all epileptics are caused by demon-possession." I was at BJU. There was a young man on the soccer team at that time (an epileptic). Do you know how hurtful such an ignorant statement like that would be? Just an example.

I have met quite a few demon-possessed people in my life-time, some here in Canada, and a number on the foreign mission-field. The person is perfectly normal until the demon manifests itself through the same person. His personality changes. Some will become stronger, others more intellectual. It varies. There are some that are possessed by more than one demon. They are able to hurt the person physically or more accurately cause the person to hurt themselves.

Why does this happen?
    Sometimes it happens innocently enough. Kids start playing around with a Ouiji board. Then they graduate to something more serious. When you start to enter into anything associated with paranormal you are asking for trouble. A person who opens their mind up, that is allows their mind to be controlled by something else other than their own brain can very easily be demon-possessed. The same can be brain-washed by a cult. Such leaders in cults like J.W.'s no doubt become demon-possessed at times. Some (not all) who speak in tongues allow themselves to become demon-possessed by giving up their mind and opening it up to another force.

If they go deep enough into the paranormal--the world of demonic spirits, they may begin to see apparitions, or actual demons manifesting themselves as beings. Often such people become very troubled mentally. Satan has them in his grasp. If you want some first hand experience with some of this go to your nearest reservation and start a ministry among the native people. Allow them to talk to you about their God that they worship, and the customs that they have. You may be surprised.

15. righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To Answer you Question....

....that is an interesting question. Actually, My wife never told me the guy wore a cowboy hat.

The demonic manifestation I saw did have a cowboy hat on. When I told her that I think I thought I saw something, she asked about what it was wearing, and I told her all I could really notice was a cowboy hat, other than that, the entire event did shake me up.

We decided to go to the local paper and do some research on the murder, and from the main page story, about 18 months earlier, was photo of the guy in a cowboy hat.

We did not live in the town or area, so we would never have seen the photo until we researched it. That is what made the incident even more spooky.

Some would call these things ghosts, I call them demonic manifestations.

16. Winman Active Member

Are you trying to imply that everyone who sees a spiritual manifestation or a UFO is demon possessed?

I have had several very godly pastors tell me of seeing or experiencing supernatural events such as ghosts/demons etc... I assure you these men were not demon possessed.

The story of Balaam and his ass refutes this. The ass could see the angel, Balaam could not. Once Balaam's eyes were opened to see the angel, the angel told Balaam that the ass had prevented Balaam from being killed, and he would have left the ass alive.

Num 22:31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
    32 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
    33 And the ass saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.

Just because someone sees something supernatural does not prove they are demon possessed or active in the occult. Sometimes it is just the opposite.

17. Ryan.Samples New Member

Dr. Dan Mitchell at Liberty Baptist Theo Seminary used to tell a story in his systematic theology class that especially affirms your comments. He was invited to preach in a church one evening and Reynard Faber (the great-grandson of Apache chief Geronimo) came along to bear his testimony. At one point Faber got agitated and told Mitchell he felt the presence of a demon enter the room. Just then some lady came into the congregation wearing an amulet and tried to give it to Faber and he simply ran away from her. Apparently she got up and stood at the back and they proceeded to have an "interesting" night. Suddenly there was lightning and thunder and they lost electricity, so Mitchell preached by candlelight and later said he came away from that experience realizing Satan was very much alive and very real and powerful.

It is interesting to note Reynard Faber was in line to become the next medicine man. He had gone through the rituals associated with becoming the medicine man in the Apache nation, but in the process became saved after picking up a Bible. Faber describes great spiritual warfare that he encountered when he picked up that Bible because by that time he had invited a host of demons into his life and they were powerful in his life. It is interesting that in his communing with demons he could, as a Christian, immediately realize their presence. Very similar to an earlier poster's comments about the associate pastor who has a similar "ability."

18. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree. For those who encounter leaders of such pagan religions it is a fierce battle, as if one were doing one-on-one battle with Satan himself. It is spiritual warfare. And, sad to say, it is scoffed at by those who have never seen or encountered it.

19. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    would you conduct exorcisms DHK?

20. jprieto New Member

i do not recommend moving out
    if you move out, so will your faith

whatever happened to "greater is He that is in you"?

are you not a christian? are spirits not subject to you?

either God isreal, or He is not.

If to you He is real, then use the power granted to you, and in the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost, tell that hing to get the h___ out of there... now!!

im not into wimpy christianity
    im into biblical christianity, where the Spirit of God lives within us, and the demons fear and tremble at our presence

we're not wimps
    we're baptists!

do you want God to look down at you and say "ye of little faith"??

use your dormant christian power
    and show that thing who is boss!!

amen