1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe in Easter?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Mar 27, 2005.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas. She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as
    people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.

One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns. When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.

Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times
    people would be saved.

Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying, "My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"

Beverly said, "Why yes I do." Edith said, "Well, what do you believe about Easter?" Beverly said, "Well, it's all about egg hunts, going to church, and dressing up."

Edith kept pressing her about the real meaning of Easter, and finally led her to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Dr. Phillips said, "Beverly, don't call Edith into the office quite yet. I believe there is another delivery taking place in the waiting room.

After being called back in the doctor's office, Edith sat down and when she took a look at the doctor she said, "Dr. Will, why are you so sad? Are you reading your Bible? Are you praying?"

Dr. Phillips said gently, "Edith, I'm the doctor and you're the patient." With a heavy heart he said, "Your lab report came back and it says you have cancer, and Edith, you're not going to live
    very long."

Edith said, "Why, Will Phillips, shame on you. Why are you so sad? Do you think God makes mistakes? You have just told me I'm going to see my precious Lord Jesus, my husband, and my friends. You have just told me that I am going to celebrate Easter Forever, and here you are having difficulty giving me my ticket!"

Dr. Phillips thought to himself, "What a magnificent woman this Edith Burns is!" Edith continued coming to Dr. Phillips. Christmas came and the office was closed through January 3rd.

On the day the office opened, Edith did not show up. Later that afternoon, Edith called Dr. Phillips and said she would have to be moving her story to the hospital and said, "Will, I'm very near home, so would you make sure that they put women in here next to me in my room who need to know about Easter."

Well, they did just that and women began to come in and share that room with Edith. Many women were saved. Everybody on that floor from staff to patients were so excited about Edith, that
    they started calling her Edith Easter; that is everyone except Phyllis Cross, the head nurse.

Phyllis made it plain that she wanted nothing to do with Edith because she was a "religious nut". She had been a nurse in an army hospital. She had seen it all and heard it all. She was the original G.I. Jane. She had been married three times, she was hard, cold, and did everything by the book.

One morning the two nurses who were to attend to Edith were sick. Edith had the flu and Phyllis Cross had to go in and give her a shot. When she walked in, Edith had a big smile on her
    face and said, "Phyllis, God loves you and I love you, and I have been praying for you."

Phyllis Cross said, "Well, you can quit praying for me, it won't work, I'm not interested." Edith said, "Well, I will pray and I have asked God not to let me go home until you come into the
    family."

Phyllis Cross said, "Then you will never die because that will never happen," and curtly walked out of the room.

Every day Phyllis Cross would walk into the room and Edith would say, "God loves you Phyllis and I love you, and I'm praying for you."

One day Phyllis Cross said she was literally drawn to Edith's room like a magnet would draw iron. She sat down on the bed and Edith said, "I'm so glad you have come, because God told me that today is your special day."

Phyllis Cross said, "Edith, you have asked everybody here the question, 'Do you believe in Easter?' but you have never asked me."

Edith said, "Phyllis, I wanted to many times, but God told me to wait until you asked, and now that you have asked..." Edith Burns took her Bible and shared with Phyllis Cross the Easter Story of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Edith said, "Phyllis, do you believe in Easter? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is alive and that He wants to live in your heart?"

Phyllis Cross said, "Oh I want to believe that with all of my heart, and I do want Jesus in my life." Right there, Phyllis Cross prayed and invited Jesus Christ into her heart. For the
    first time Phyllis Cross did not walk out of a hospital room, she was carried out on the wings of angels.

Two days later, Phyllis Cross came in and Edith said, "Do you know what day it is?" Phyllis Cross said, "Why Edith, it's Good Friday."

Edith said, "Oh, no, for you every day is Easter. Happy Easter Phyllis!"

Two days later, on Easter Sunday, Phyllis Cross came into work, did some of her duties and then went down to the flower shop and got some Easter lilies because she wanted to go up to see Edith
    and give her some Easter lilies and wish her a Happy Easter.

When she walked into Edith's room, Edith was in bed. That big black Bible was on her lap. Her hands were in that Bible. There was a sweet smile on her face. When Phyllis Cross went to pick up Edith's hand, she realized Edith was dead.

Her left hand was on John 14, "In my Father's house are many mansions. I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."

Her right hand was on Revelation 21:4, " And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes, there shall be no more death nor sorrow, nor crying; and there shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

Phyllis Cross took one look at that dead body, and then lifted her face toward heaven, and with tears streaming down here cheeks, said, "Happy Easter, Edith - Happy Easter!"

Phyllis Cross left Edith's body, walked out of the room, and over to a table where two student nurses were sitting. She said, "My name is Phyllis Cross. Do you believe in Easter?"

~Author Unknown~

[​IMG]

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Thank you..Praise God ...Thank you....that was such a blessing.....AMEN!!!!!!!

Greg Sr.

3. Pistos

Pistos New Member

Wow amazing...

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What an UTTERLY WONDERFUL story! I hope everyone on this board reads it! ! ! ! !

However...

Do "I" believe in Easter? Newp!

BUT...

Do "I" believe in JESUS' DEATH & RESURRECTION?

Absolutely. 100%. No doubt.

Therefore I observe this day as RESURRECTION DAY, although I know Jesus was resurrected some time before Sunday had begun. I know the name "Easter" for this day has a pagan origin.

So, why do I observe this day? So as not to make others stumble; my non-observation might make someone think I take Jesus' actions lightly. However, I do NOT observe any of the customs associated with the common Easter celebration, such as egg hunts, etc. Sure, I believe His resurrection actually occurred on the 4th day of Passover Week, but again, I don't wanna make a bro or sis stumble.

BTW, "Easter" in Acts 12:4 in the KJV is a booboo.

6. Pistos

Pistos New Member

I think everyone here agrees that 'Easter' is a pagan festive.

But what the story is all about a 'WISE' approach for SOUL-WINNING. Of how you could attract your prospect to make a conversation with you as you share with the person the Gospel of Christ. The gospel as we all know defined in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. [​IMG]

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Attract your prospect"--

The "Gospel" is not an "attraction" and is completely contrary to the flesh.

Lost sheep are not "prospects" in a "soul winning" contest--God is calling them back to the fold by the preaching of the Word.

Yes, pagan idolatry is an attraction--to the Pit.

Beware the wolves dressed like sheep.

Selah,

Bro. James

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

9. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

My Easter Story:

Gave a plastic egg with a couple of pieces of candy in it to a 13 year old boy. Shared the gospel with him and he prayed and accepted Jesus as his Saviour. He was baptized this past Sunday. The boy is excited to know Jesus, and I will be personally discipling him.

End of my Easter Story.

Hope all of you had a blessed Easter.

10. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

My pastor shared Edith Burns' story in the sermon on Sunday. [​IMG]

11. I Am Blessed 24

ituttut: You attributed a quote to me in your last post that is not mine. Please don't do that.

Made up or real, it is still a beautiful, inspiring story.

Why can't you just leave it at that?

williemakeit: Praise the Lord!

12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I Am Blessed 16: Of course, I’ll just leave it, for all here know I was answering your Quote. The “unknown” Author is now known and will get credit for the fictional story for the ineluctable subject. Christian faith, ituttut

13. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey I AM Blessed,

Thank you for posting that wonderful story. It was truly a blessing to me.

In Christ,

Brooks

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Someone said "It is not a contest" referring to soul-winning. I say it is. It is a contest to see how many we can get into the family of God before they die and go to a devil's hell. It is a race agianst the gates of hell itself and it is imperative we do so with such love and urgency as the lady in this story.

One day each one of us will stand before our Risen Saviour and He will ask us one question, (I believe) "How many have you brought with you?"

Think about THAT the next time you talk yourself out of witnessing.

In HIS service;
    Jim

15. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Amen, Brother Jim! [​IMG]

16. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that kind of make us like the "priests" who are the only ones who have the magic words which change the wine into blood and the bread into flesh--the often partaking of which maintains one's salvation?

God has saved His elect-- whether we are faithful or not--he is faithful to His Word.

Selah,

Bro. James

17. I Am Blessed 24

The Bible says if we are saved - we ARE priests... [​IMG]

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    av1611jim said:

"One day each one of us will stand before our Risen Saviour and He will ask us one question, (I believe) 'How many have you brought with you?'"

19. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does the judgement of the "self-righteous" verify the winners of a soul-winning contest?

Selah,

Bro. James

20. I Am Blessed 24

C'mon Bro. James. It is a beautiful story. Why ruin it?!?

Our job is to be fishers of men, and the woman in this story, was doing her 'job' with zeal.

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
    Proverbs 11:30