1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe in Easter?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beautiful story? Some would call it a solemn warning.

Many "Soul winning contests" wind up with congregations filled with unregenerated souls who have "repeated a prayer" but were not "born from above"--not very beautiful. See Mt. Ch. 7--the group that Jesus "never knew"--the ones who did all sorts of great things--"in His Name".

Selah

Bro. James

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I am not the one who used the phrase, "Soul winning contests", but 'The Great Commission' was not a suggestion - it was a command...

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
    Proverbs 11:30

3. Servent

Servent Member

Bro James, It's not our job to save them just to share the truth with them, what they do with it is between them and God.

I am blessed, thank you

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

So...then we should NOT go out into the highways and byways because we MIGHT get a few false professions? That is laughable at best.

You will also recall that Jesus' parables described the man who planted good seed but when harvest came he found tares among his wheat? What was Jesus' reply to that? Let them be. They will be sorted out at the harvest.

Our responsibility is to win them. Let God determine their hearts and whether they are right or not.

True or not. Parable or not. This story is a beautiful picture of someone who loves Jesus and tells everyone she meets about Him. God will reward that kind of person. But I fear that God will be much displeased with the one who makes excuses NOT to go and do likewise. You will also note; This story illustrates what happens when that one she reaches follows her example.

"My name is....do you believe in Easter?", said the nurse.

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. I Am Blessed 24

[​IMG]

Christians are supposed to beget Christians...

6. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Yep. Sheep making sheep.

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I see this as works with a capital "W". We are already made Righteous with a capital "R".

Could you be basing your remarks most likely on a parable? Parables are directed to His people the Nation Israel. While He was on this earth He plainly says He speaks and is concerned only to those He made covenant with, and we were not included. He did not include us (Gentile’s) until He was seated next to His Father. He did not have one word directed to me while He walked this earth. His people agreed to a covenant to do certain things, and it is a binding agreement as it is of blood. He holds them accountable and they, and only they are to “repent and be baptized for the remission of sins”, as they sinned in breaking their contract with their God.

Can anyone find where we Gentile’s were ever asked to make a blood two-way covenant with God? He never asked us, and we cannot on our on volition decide to make one with Him, endeavoring to enter where He will shut the door in our face.

He gave up on the human race and made for Himself a Nation of His own. He is very particular of who those people are. They are from the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Any that wish to serve the Jew, as the Jew serves their God, can come as a proselyte, but they will be relegated to the “outer court”, and not allowed into the Temple.

Why did God make a nation for Himself? Genesis 18:18; 22:18; Exodus 19:6; Leviticus 18:26; Isaiah 51:4; Ezekiel 34:30; Zechariah 8:8; John 11:51; I Peter 2:9; Revelation 5:9. We Gentile’s didn't agree to anything, other than to accept His free gift. We are then to do good works, of which we are not commanded to do. He gives to all of us today one thing to do, by way of request if we wish to do. Remember me, and anything else we do we do for ourselves, and not Him. We will be rewarded of what we believe, and not what we do. All others are accepted with their works.

Do we believe we are saved just by believing on His precious name by the grace of God that comes to us through faith that is found in Jesus Christ? Add anything this to this thinking, places the burden on the one coming of proving to Christ that their works were better than His. Christ faith, ituttut Galatians 1-:11-12

8. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I see this as works with a capital "W". We are already made Righteous with a capital "R".

Could you be basing your remarks most likely on a parable? Parables are directed to His people the Nation Israel. While He was on this earth He plainly says He speaks and is concerned only to those He made covenant with, and we were not included. He did not include us (Gentile’s) until He was seated next to His Father. He did not have one word directed to me while He walked this earth. His people agreed to a covenant to do certain things, and it is a binding agreement as it is of blood. He holds them accountable and they, and only they are to “repent and be baptized for the remission of sins”, as they sinned in breaking their contract with their God.

Can anyone find where we Gentile’s were ever asked to make a blood two-way covenant with God? He never asked us, and we cannot on our on volition decide to make one with Him, endeavoring to enter where He will shut the door in our face.

He gave up on the human race and made for Himself a Nation of His own. He is very particular of who those people are. They are from the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Any that wish to serve the Jew, as the Jew serves their God, can come as a proselyte, but they will be relegated to the “outer court”, and not allowed into the Temple.

Why did God make a nation for Himself? Genesis 18:18; 22:18; Exodus 19:6; Leviticus 18:26; Isaiah 51:4; Ezekiel 34:30; Zechariah 8:8; John 11:51; I Peter 2:9; Revelation 5:9. We Gentile’s didn't agree to anything, other than to accept His free gift. We are then to do good works, of which we are not commanded to do. He gives to all of us today one thing to do, by way of request if we wish to do. Remember me, and anything else we do we do for ourselves, and not Him. We will be rewarded of what we believe, and not what we do. All others are accepted with their works.

Do we believe we are saved just by believing on His precious name by the grace of God that comes to us through faith that is found in Jesus Christ? Add anything this to this thinking, places the burden on the one coming of proving to Christ that their works were better than His. Christ faith, ituttut Galatians 1-:11-12
    </font>[/QUOTE]Other than rebuking Christians for observing Easter, Christmas and other pagan festivals, or for their soul-winning methods, do you feel that you, as a Christian, are called to any other work? I would also extend the question to Bro. James if he wishes to comment. Just curious.

9. I Am Blessed 24

Winning souls has nothing to do with my salvation and all my righteousness is as 'filthy rags'.

If we are not to be soul winners; why do we have missionaries?

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    Mark 16:15

10. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Winning souls has nothing to do with my salvation and all my righteousness is as 'filthy rags'.

If we are not to be soul winners; why do we have missionaries?

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Not all Baptists believe in missionaries. Some do not even believe in Sunday School. Some of them have elders and not pastors. Go figure. ;)

11. I Am Blessed 24

What do they do with the verse I quoted?

12. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I don't know. Maybe one of our primitive baptist posters would like to comment; however, it will take this thread down a very long rabbit trail. Maybe it can be brought in under a new thread.

13. I Am Blessed 24

I believe we are ALL called to be missionaries (i.e. soul winners).

We can be missionaries right in our own neighborhood...

We got saved and escaped Hell; why wouldn't we want that for other people?

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

But wasn’t this “command” given to His people, and they were to take this message to the whole world? They only had one year to have the house of Israel accept Messiah, and the Sanhedrin did not accept, and only a few thousand believed the message of Peter and the other Apostles with the others at Pentecost. Can you agree that Jesus gave the authority to preach His second “great commission” only to His earthly Apostles, just as He did the first one? For some reason it became the Gentile to present the Word. And nowwe know what that reason is.

The “second great commission” has a demand attached to it (in Mark 16), and we find that gospel demands His people are the ones to present that message to the whole world, anddemands they do something. That message will again be preached to the world in the Great tribulation by the 144,000 Israelites. Between that message to Damascus Road, until the rapture, there is another Gospel, and it is the “grace commission”. This third commission differs in content, as well as from another location. It comes from above, and not from down here.

We are told of heavenly things, not earthly things. Our circumcision, repentance and baptism are up there, and not down here. Our life is now with Him, and we are where He is. ” Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:” Romans 6:8.

15. ituttut

ituttut New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Other than rebuking Christians for observing Easter, Christmas and other pagan festivals, or for their soul-winning methods, do you feel that you, as a Christian, are called to any other work? I would also extend the question to Bro. James if he wishes to comment. Just curious.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You believe you are saved by just believing on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ? Well so do I. And that is all I preach.

Is the gospel of Paul the Christian message, or is the message of Peter (Acts 2:38) the Christian message? My friend you and I are speaking of different gospels, and I know Christ Jesus from heaven gave Paul his gospel. Paul is the only Apostle I have. I believe you have another Apostle that is bringing you into God's kingdom. Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I certainly don't want to be so Heavenly-minded that I am no Earthly good!

You are talking about the sweet bye and bye, but we are living in the here and now...

17. I Am Blessed 24

Jesus gave Peter His gospel too. Peter and Paul were NOT against each other. They preached the same gospel.

John 21:16
    He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

18. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Brother Ituttut;
    I have met with and fellowshipped with many a man such as yourself. What I find most common with folks of your thoelogical stripe is that they remove a full 1/3 of our New Testament and make it of none effect. I won't do such a thing.

Jesus spoke to me. Peter spoke to me. Paul spoke to me. John spoke to me. James spoke to me. Luke spoke to me. Matthew spoke to me. Mark spoke to me. ALL Scripture is profitable for doctrine, ...etc.

You may not believe so. That is fine. But I, and my house, will not whip out our penknife and cut 1/3 of the New Testament out. MY New Testament tells me that as a child of God I am accountable for how I behave myself. It is Paul who tells us of the terrors awaiting us at the Judgement Seat of Christ. Explain away your accountability all you would like. I will not be so bold. I tend to approach my God with fear and trembling, with thanksgiving knowing who He is.

In HIS service;
    Jim

20. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Jesus while on earth says He only came for His own, and no Gentile was ever allowed in with His sheep. I fully realize Jesus gave Peter His gospel too, but Christ Jesus from heaven also gave Paul his gospel. I am a Gentile, so to whom am I to listen?

Peter and Paul both build on the foundation of Jesus Christ, but Paul is very emphatic about laying his own foundation, and not building on Peter’s foundation. Other than Cornelius, Peter did not preach to any Gentile, as He was not given the message for the Gentile.

Please notice I am not the one talking here, but scripture. We listen to others than the Word of God, making it difficult to see. In Acts 9 a new Apostle is appointed by Christ Jesus from heaven, making Paul the only heavenly appointed Apostle with a gospel never before known to anyone but God. If we don’t believe, then we stop reading. If we do believe, we continue to search for understanding.

In Acts 10 Peter is sent to the first Gentile to be preached to by a Jew. Verse 28 tells us it was unlawful for the Jew to associate with the Gentile, and to keep their distance. In verses 43, 44, and 45 we see God stopped Peter from giving the Gentiles the Gospel for the Jew. If we don’t believe this, then we stop reading. If we do believe, we continue to search for understanding.

In Galatians Chapter 2 (Luke gives his account in Acts 15) we see the Jew was still of works and Paul by revelation from Christ Jesus was sent to the kingdom church in Jerusalem (the Christian church was headquartered in Antioch), taking Barnabas and Titus with him. The purpose was to tell the Pentecostal Jewish church to “keep their hands to themselves”. The Gentiles did not have to be circumcised. If they were then they would be required to do the works that the Jew was still doing.

The messages are not the same, and everyone there knew it, and they shook hands making a deal that they, the kingdom of the earth people would preach their gospel to Israel, and Paul and others would preach to the Gentiles. Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.