1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you have to believe that Jesus is the 2nd Person to be saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Stanedglass, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Actually, that's a perfect example. Your children don't know anything about their parent other than there's comfort in their care. They don't need to know about genetics, legal guardianship, or anything else. They don't need to know what makes a parent a parent or a child a child. They just put blind faith in their parents. It's likewise okay for someone to put blind faith in Christ and accept salvation. Once they do that, they can get into learning about what constitutes the trinity, godhead, messianic nature of Christ, and so on and so on.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you're saying we need to be ignorant in order to be saved? I seriously doubt that's what Jesus is saying here.

Yes, there is only one boat for salvation but many, MANY boats claiming to be the right one. There might be only one boat going to heaven but all of the others claim to be that too. Which one is it? We know when we know Who the captain is.

But what if it's a nice round white piece of cement? We do need to know what we're putting our faith in. Not everyone saying "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven. The key is Who are we putting our faith in and does He know us.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen, DHK....

4. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

Is not what but who. Most people dont fully know Jesus when they come to him. The Bible says (John 6:44) No man comes to him unless the Father Draws him.

The Spirit of God draws us long before we truely understand who he is. In John 1:11 we are told "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name"!

All we have to do upon being drawn is receive him. We do not have to understand everything about the Godhead! We only need to know that he is God! (John 8:24, John 1)

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your back to square one where the discussion began. Do we need to go through everything again.
    "We only need to know that he is God." That is a false statement.
    To the Muslim Allah is God.
    To the Buddha, his god is Buddha.
    To the J.W. Jehovah is God, but Christ is only an angel.
    To the Mormon Christ is a created being.

No, we need to know more than he is God.

6. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

That's an opinion! Please show me scripture where it says that! The only knowledge we have to have is that Jesus is God (John 8:24).

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have already explained using 1Cor.15:1-4 that much more is need than that.

8. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

Sounds to me that salvation to you is a progressional thing! Is that true? Fundamentally speaking, according to the Baptist Belief, you are saved and filled the moment you Believe in Jesus of the Bible.

Like I said earlier, If you come to Christ and are saved by faith the moment you believe and then later you decide that you beleive in Jesus but he's really not in 2nd place, then you loose your salvation! Which is against the fundamental belief that most baptist hold to "Once saved always saved!

Commiting and having Faith in someone are two different things! I'm not sure where you stand personally on this, but Commiting to some would equal works. It's something we do! And then your back to the arguement that well...are you saying you are saved by works?

We only need to believe that Jeus is God (John 8:24) If you say that we need to beleive that Jesus is 2nd then you are adding to scripture!

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Rather you have isolated one verse of Scripture and have based your theology on it which has resulted in a warped view of soteriology.

What else did Jesus say? What else does the Bible say about salvation?

In 1Cor.15:1-4, Paul said, "I declare unto you the gospel...by the which you are saved."
    How can you ignore such a straight forward statement--that you need the gospel to be saved, not simply to believe that Christ is God.

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
    --We are justified by faith. Another important part of salvation.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    --One of the clearest passages on salvation there is:
    We are saved by grace (the grace of God) through faith. Through faith in what? Through faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ, in his atoning work on the cross. It is not of works. It is entirely by faith. It is by the grace provided by Christ, a gift that we don't deserve, but Christ provided it anyway even though we are wicked sinners undeserving of this precious gift of eternal life. There is more to it than just believing that Christ is God.

Jesus said to Nicodemus: "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus was not born of God. I think that Nicodemus believed that Christ was the Messiah, (God), but that didn't make him saved. He had to be born again. But what did that mean. Jesus launches into a discourse of what it means to be born again. Do you know what it means to be born again? If you do not perhaps you are not saved. It is the only way to heaven. One must be born again or there is no way to heaven. It is not simply believing that Jesus is God.

Much more is needed than simply believing that Christ is God.

To hang all your theology on just one verse of Scripture results in a warped view of God and Christ.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, I'm saying that being completely devoid of ignornace is not a salvific prerequisite.
    No, there's only one boat. A drowning person knows what the boat is when he sees it. He doesn't need to have an understanding of the user's manual before getting in.

11. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

1Cr 15:1 ΒΆ Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1Cr 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1Cr 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1Cr 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Yes, we have to believe the Gospel. I stated that in all my earlier post! "We must believe in the Jesus who died, was buried, and rose again!

These verses are not telling us that we need to believe that Jesus 2nd in order to be saved!

12. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

Thanks for getting us back on topic!

13. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

No it doesn't!

14. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

B/c it's contridicting!

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then what meaning could it possibly have?

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

God the Father gave God the Son. The first person of the Godhead sacrificing the second--a father/son relationship. There is no other way it can be taken.

16. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

That he is still GOD! Just b/c he is the only begotten son doesn't make him 2nd.

If we really want to go there, Jeus is considered the " The Almighty God, The Everlasing Father" in Isa 9:6. So what does that mean in the light of the Trinity?

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is an OT passage, a prophecy about the coming of Christ.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

Assigned numbers? Then you subscribe to the Catholic version of the Nician Creed? <G>

19. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

So if someone testifies of Jesus, his life, death, burial, and ressurection, and I believe that, and I call upon the Name of the Lord to save me. Does that mean God did not save me? B/c I did not know he was 2nd?

20. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

In his humanity, there was rank! But in diety there is none! If they are co-equal, where is rank?