Election And Predestination In Complete Harmony

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think since jesus is Yahweh, answer is no...

2. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh my goodness. I provided scripture.
    I take your response as you saying that God is, in fact, bound in time.
    You think that God is bound in time. Yes or no.

3. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess He is, as some seem to think that He is not sure who will get saved, just waiting on us to reply!

4. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care what you want to take my response as. I never said that however. People have a very bad habit of trying to impose their so called logic on scripture and God when it never clearly makes the case. I believe God is eternal. That is far as I am going with it because that is as far as scripture goes with it. Attributing to God what He has not clearly said, I believe, is very grievous.

5. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are attributing this statement to me you are in error and completely misrepresenting my position.

6. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The question is not difficult for you to answer.

Is God bound in time?

My answer is no.

What is your answer, Rev?

Will you avoid the question or not?

7. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have already answered it.

8. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rev, we get it.
    Scripture has been provided. You reject that God saying he is the "I Am" means that he is outside of time. You, therefore, impose upon God that he only exists in time...something that God, himself, created. So, in your view, God has bound himself within his creation and cannot get out of time.
    Interesting.

9. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is false I did not say this, claim, this, nor imply this. Leveling accusations of this sort is poor behavior and unChrisitan as well. It seems you are working to impose your own personal logic on me as you do scripture. A rather haughty attitude that leads to this poor behavior.

10. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    False accusation noted, brother. IF you said something, the accuser should "quote" it. To "draw inferences" from what you said is NOT acceptable.

A person who would attack you, therefore, must be a _____ ______ and _____ (if I were to draw inferences and attack, I would fill in those blanks. :Cool

11. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is God bound in time? Yes or No.

Even Arminians and Semi-Pelagian's say no.

12. SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It says none seek God. None understand.

And who are those who receive Him? Those who are born of God. Yes, ppl do receive Him. But those who receive are born of God.[John 1:13] Who are those who love Him? Those who are born of God.[1 John 4:7] Who are those who know God?[again 1 John 4:7]

So if none understand, then those who know(exact opposite of not understanding), it shows regeneration by the Spirit is a must before they can understand and know God.

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—

Ppl wanna focus on John 1:12 and think we Calvinists deny ppl receive Him. Au contraire mon ami. But when there are none who understand(none knowing God), none who seek Him, how can they receive Him in who they don't know(understand) and seek?

Now, these are the ppl who understand and seek Him...
    children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.[John 1:13]

Yah. Riiiiiiiiiiiight!!!

Ppl don't have the freedom to become the sons of God in an unregenerate state. They are dead(nekros...corpse) in transgressions and sins.[Ephesians 2:1] They are slaves to sin.[Romans 6:6 & 6:16] Jesus said no one can come(bound in sin...slave) to Him except the Father draw him. And those who come the Father will raise up on the day of Judgment.[John 6:37 & 6:40]They, in that state, no more seek God than Lazarus did whilst in the grave, those piled up bones in Ezekiel 37, the widow's son in Luke 7, the 12 y/o virgin in Mark 5, the widow's son in 1 Kings 18, &c.

13. SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may have misapplied that passage. Sorry for that.

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was referring to some as not you, but others in the Body....

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Open Theists would say yes, and I am NOT calling our friend here that!

16. Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some believe that salvation requires God's part and our part. Predestination + man's response.
    This really means that Christ's blood does not have infinite value. His blood, alone, was totally and completely sufficient to save us in eternity past. (God does not exist in time). Christ's work is finished. We have no part to add to our salvation.

Everyone hears God's outward call. Those who are predestined to perdition, God will not allow to also hear His inward call. The Elect will hear both calls. God works in their hearts. They can do nothing but receive Him.

God is not unjust. Some (the Elect) will receive mercy. The rest will receive eternal retribution for their deeds.

17. tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!... My Brother In The Lord Jesus Christ... Who is the common denominator in the following verses... Is it talking about man responsibility?... No God does it ALL!... Brother Glen

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

8:33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

18. Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Brother Glen!! May God have ALL the Glory and none to man.

19. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until God seeks them.

That is your imposition on that passage. It in no way places born in front of receive or believe.

OK? This passage in no way explains the mechanics of salvation.

Again imposing your personal logic and reasoning on scripture. However, God is not limited by our spiritual condition. Being dead in our sins does not restrain God from reaching in our hearts and opening it up and allowing us to choose. We have a big God and He can choose to do it however He wants. There is nothing to stand in the way.

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—

You are welcome to repeat yourself but it fails to make your point regardless of how many times you say it.

God requiring a response to the gospel in no way makes it by the will of man.

God has the power to reach their hearts in an unregenerate state. Is God required or limited by our unregenerate state to only be able to save them in complete regeneration in order for them to choose to believe? Or is our God more powerful than that.

Which also supports John 1:13. The debate here is just what is this drawing and how far does it go?

They do seek God if they have been drawn by God and their hearts opened up by God to choose to receive God. I'm sorry but simply saying we are dead in our sinful state does nothing to address the mechanics of what work God does in our hearts in the salvation process. No scripture says this comes first then this and then that other than we must believe, receive, and be saved. To speak on it beyond that is just simply not in scripture.

When we are given a gift does reaching out and receiving it from the giver over show that it is no longer a gift but something we worked for? I am unaware of this being the case ever. yet when it comes to salvation our reformed brethren want to apply such logic that in no case anywhere else gets applied. If someone says Mark I have this gift for you do I just let my hands hang loose at my side and do nothing to receive it? When I do receive it does anyone say that I worked for that gift? Does opening a present up that was given to me for my birthday mean it is no longer a gift.

When we take things like Spiritual death and give it power beyond what God and do, in other words limit God because of the power of spiritual death then I think we have take our understanding of spiritual death too far.

20. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good think I am neither one of those. Once again I have answered your question. You want to set up a limitation around that question as if it is nothing more than a yes or no response. I reject your self imposed limitation on that. Go back and read my answer. This is that last time I will address this question.