Faith plus right beliefs

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Jun 9, 2012.

?
  1. Those who hold to faith alone in Jesus

45.5%
  2. Those who hold to faith in Jesus plus works

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Those who hold to faith in Jesus plus right beliefs

18.2%
  4. Baptists only who believe as I do

9.1%
  5. Anyone who has faith in Jesus -- Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, etc.

36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I see nothing here about salvation outside of Christ.

2. Steadfast Fred Active Member

The archbishop has let his title go to his head. He now thinks he can tell God who is saved and who is not.

Jesus said "He that believes not is condemned already because he has not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John said that the one that believes not has the wrath of God abiding on him.

But for some strange reason, the archbishop is calling Jesus and John both liars. Oh, he hasn't come out and said "Jesus and John are liars", but his claim that people can be saved apart from faith in Christ calls both Christ and John liars.

And he warns me of God's wrath?

3. Steadfast Fred Active Member

The archbishop bases his belief on a misinterpretation of verses 7 and 13.

We know that his is a faulty interpretation because Paul's same letter to the Romans states that we are made righteous by our faith. It is only our faith in Christ that makes us righteous. Outside of Christ, our righteous acts are nothing more than filthy rags in God's eyes.

4. Michael Wrenn New Member

I agree completely with your post!

5. Michael Wrenn New Member

So all people from the beginning of time have had the Word of God. Would that be the KJV, circa 4000 B.C.?

6. Michael Wrenn New Member

Comparing me with Satan, you will taste it sooner than you expect.

7. Michael Wrenn New Member

Interesting and telling of your character that you would condemn all those to hell who lived before Jesus.

8. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Abraham rejoiced to see Jesus in his day.

Those Old Testament saints had a message of Salvation. They looked forward to the coming Messiah who would save His people.

9. Michael Wrenn New Member

To whomever is moderating this thread: I've read on here that questioning a member's salvation is grounds for banning. What is the penalty for comparing a member to Satan?

10. Michael Wrenn New Member

What about those non-Jews who didn't have God's Word? Are they all without exception burning in hell as we speak -- at least in your imagination and wishful thinking?

11. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Youdr interpretation of GOD'S Word is deceptive. God says we must be saved by the name off Jesus. Jesus says if you believe not, you are condemned.

The archbishop says you don't have to believe, just live a good life.

Jesus said that He is the door and if any man enter in by any other way he is a thief and a robber. By teaching that one can be saved apart from faith in Christ, the archbishop is training spiritual thieves and robbers.

12. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Sadly, they are. But it is not my wishful thinking. God declared that all who die in sin are in hell.

Your preaching that they are no longer in hell, or that they never went to hell is contrary to Scripture.

13. Michael Wrenn New Member

I do; it is all through there. But it is really not outside of Christ, as verse 16 affirms. God judges all through Jesus Christ, and He judges those who have not heard of Jesus based on the use they make of the light they have. The Quakers, Wesleyans, and General Baptists are right on this.

14. Michael Wrenn New Member

And you are the chief of liars. You can get away with just so many lies; it will catch up with you at some point. And that point for you is closer than you think.

15. Michael Wrenn New Member

Scripture says otherwise.

Why don't you put your wife back on. Her last post to me was not hostile or full of distortions of my beliefs.

16. Steadfast Fred Active Member

http://www.generalbaptist.com/identity/statements-of-faith/The General Baptists do not hold to the doctrine you teach.

IV. SALVATION

We believe that salvation (regeneration, sanctification, justification and redemption) has been provided for all mankind through the redemptive work (life, death, resurrection, ascension, and intercession) of Jesus Christ, and that this salvation can be received only through repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Salvation: Heb. 5:9; I Thess. 5:9; I Pet. 1:9; Heb. 7:25. Regeneration: Jn. 3:3-8; 1:11-13; I Pet. 1:23; Eph. 2:1-10; II Cor. 5:17; II Pet. 1:4; Titus 3:5. Sanctification: I Cor. 1:30; Eph. 5:26; Heb. 10:9-10, 29; II Tim. 2:21; Heb. 13:12; Rom. 12:1-2; I Pet. 1:2. Justification: Rom. 3:20-24; 5:1-2, 18; 8:30-33; Acts 13:38-39; I Cor. 6:11; II Cor. 5:21. Redemption: Matt. 20:28; Isa. 53:6; Col. 1:14; Titus 2:14; I Pet. 1:18-19; Rev. 5:9. Christs Redemptive Work: Jn. 3:16; Rom. 5:8; Heb. 2:9; Rev. 22:17; II Pet. 3:9; Jn 14:6; Acts 4:12; Rom. 6:23; Eph. 2:8-9. Life and Death: Rom. 5:10; Heb. 9:12-15; Jn. 10:11; I Jn. 3:16. Resurrection: Rom. 4:25; I Pet. 1:3; I Cor. 15:14, 17. Ascension: Heb. 4:14-16, 6:19-20; 9:24; 10:11-12. Intercession: Rom. 8:34; Heb. 9:15; Isa. 53:12; I Tim. 2:5. Repentance: Isa. 55:6-7; Lk. 24:47; Lk. 13:3-5; Acts 2:38; I Thess. 1:9-10. Faith: Jn. 3:16-18; Heb. 11:1, 6; I Pet. 1:5.

17. Steadfast Fred Active Member

The Wesleyans also do not hold the same beliefs as you...

The Wesleyan definition of total depravity, similar to the Calvanist view but slightly different, would be defined as such. It does not mean that I am totaly depraved as one would think of Hilter or a madman. The emphasis is on the word "total". That is, the totality of my being is touched with the depravity of sin.

The Basic Wesleyan belief of Sin and Salvation q

As opposed the Calvinist's/Reformed TULIP acronym, we would use the first five letter of the alphabet.
    A...Atonement for All. God does not wish the damnation of anyone. Christ died for all whether they accept His offer or not.
    B...Believers Alone are Chosen. God decreed to save those whom He knew would respond to His offer. He did not determine their response, but He know who would respond.
    C...Convicting Grace. This is a prevenient or preventing grace, but not an irresistable grace. A person can reject God's free gift of salvation.
    D...Deliverance from Sin. Believers are freed from the practice of sin. If they do commit a sin, they have an advocate in Christ.
    E...Endurance of the Believer. The Holy Spirit provides the indwelling power to continue in the grace of God.

18. Michael Wrenn New Member

See my answer in red, in-text.

19. Michael Wrenn New Member

See my answer in red, in-text.

20. Michael Wrenn New Member

I'll have to suspend my posting for a while -- must go out for a few hours.