1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Four Unities Prove 1st Century Rapture: Good News for all Christians

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, May 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This, passage does not, however, present any form of rapture or return of Christ in 70CE.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you that hard up for recognition? ...sheesh...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I do find conspiracy theory as the method of interpretation quite silly however.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks.

I have no problem believing the Bible/New Testament could have been completed by AD 70. On the other, if I understand your position correctly, it must have been completed before AD 70 to square with your view.

Concerning a real rapture circa AD 70, do you mean the catching up of all saints living at that time, and do you include the resurrection of the dead saints? Have you ever run across any early church fathers or period historians who wrote of the missing saints around this time?

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So some pret author has told you. But regardless of when he wrote, the events he wrote down haven't occurred yet.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything ALREADY WRITTEN did come upon that generation. But then a greater punishment came a coupla generations later-the Jews were booted outta their land by Hadrian in 135-136 AD, a punishment that lasted until the nazis fell in 1945. Beginning late that year, the fortunes of the Jews began to improve considerably as God at last began to lift their punishment. All this is plainly recorded in history.

7. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be tiresome. "Some pret author" did not tell me. I first was convinced of the early date by Philip Schaff in his History of the Christian Church. He was not preterist. In the first edition of his books he had assumed a later date for Revelation. But later, upon further study, he did what very few authors had the courage to do - he published a retraction in the next edition. He convinced me while I was still Amill.

8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the response. First, concerning the dating, see my answer to RobyCop.

Yes, I believe, acc. to Thess. that both groups, dead and surviving saints were caught up.

I hope to answer the rest of this after my walk.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One author outta 1000.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, no matter if John receivd the Rev immediately after Jesus' return to heaven, the fact remains that its prophecies have NOT yet been fulfilled.
    I have a shelf full of encyclopediae & other works of history right in fronta me & the fulfillment of those events is NOT found in ANY of them. And there's simply NO valid reason to believe those events are anything but LITERAL.
    I realize you may be writing pro-pret material to make money, but NO Bible-believer in his/her right mind who knows any world history is gonna believe preterism. The return of Jesus will be seen by all, as He said Himself, and will occur after the great trib, with the antichrist in power. Those things have VERY-OBVIOUSLY NOT YET OCCURRED 1 ! There's not one quark of **PROOF** they have!
    So, isn't it about time to give up that false doctrine that you can't BEGIN to prove ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt that. But even if it were true it would be moot. Truth is not something determined by consensus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This gave us quite a chuckle. I have not made a dime on my writings, not even my contribution to The Kingdom Bible (TKB). BTW, I also taught world history for many years, but I was always careful to interpret uninspired historians through the lens of inspired Scripture. Not the other way around.

• Like Like x 1
  13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it IS determined by REALITY.

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Scripture says they WILL occur, so since they HAVEN'T occurred yet, they must be future.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Kingdom Bible?

16. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

17. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the very nature of the event there would, in fact, be no Christian writers at that time for the simple fact that they would have been raptured. The ones left behind to fill in the gap - or seeming to fill in the gap - would be the proto-gnostics, Essenes and other schisms and isms, so-called Christians, etc. More than one church historian had remarked on the paucity of Christian witness in the following couple decades. This ties in very well with what Paul foretold to the Ephesians, Acts 20, that there very soon be a rapid downgrade in spirituality after his departure. I dont think he was just speaking of Asia.

18. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a link to info on this Bible? I did not find it on Amazon. (I found a Kingdom NT by N. T. Wright, which I assume is not the same.)
    If correct, the historical claims that Papias and Polycarp were disciples of John, the apostle, would be spurious. He would no longer have been on the earth to have discipled them. If I thought it (John raptured before AD 70) could be proved from the Bible, then the historical claims would not really matter. However, it seems odd that Christians of the next generation after Papias and Polycarp would have believed their claims if there was knowledge of such a rapture.
    What sources in particular would be some of these to look at?

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was the curses of Lev 26 & Dt 28 which followed the Jews for centuries. Satan bound.

Starting with Napoleon they were progressively 'loosed' from those curses beginning early 19th century: Emancipation Satan loosed.

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Sir, the rapture hasn't yet occurred. Not one quark of **PROOF** it has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.