1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Gods blessings

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psa 32:1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

Rom 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need leisure sometimes.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Read your books, take a walk, watch a video online, go to a museum or some free event in your area. There are lots of things to do as leisure time that are free.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do take walks... however attending events is difficult working 6days a week. Watching YouTube videos? They are low quality.

Reading books. I am not reading as much as before nor buying new books unless they are required reading at church in a class.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reconcile with your wife and be a father to your child.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, there is always the 7th day.

So? When you need to save money, you sacrifice a bit. You deal with lower quality while you know that you are fulfilling your obligations. Many people I know don't even have a TV or a computer or anything. They deal with it because....they can't afford it.

That's fine. But you still have a bunch and can fill your time reading all of the books you have, I'm sure.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd have said with Heinz 57.

8. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction you want leisure sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You reminded me of what my father always said, "Son, is it a need or a want?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard that as well growing up. Do we need rest sometimes absolutely, but resting does not require a $250 TV. My husband and I are on a pretty tight budget, so we don't even have TV as its an expense we don't need, but we find plenty to do to keep us entertained when he is not working.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't own a computer don't own a computer? How can one live in today's society? Perhaps they have smart phones or tablets instead.

Sacrifice a bit. I believe to struggle in this area but not always. I owned a Tube TV from 2007-2016 and recently was given a NEW TV FREE. I did not own a CD player in my car and only had radio from 2011-2015 when I decided to buy one. Then I did sacrifice for 4 years until I could afford one.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah I get so overwhelmed with books I decided to only read ones required at church plus my Bible. But with one exception I placed an order for the new David Jeremiah prophecy book and will read it.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We STILL have a tube TV and won't get a new one until it dies even though we have the money for it.

As to the computer thing, it's called a library. They go to the library to do the things they need to do. No, no smart phones or tablets. They just use a landline and have a flip phone for emergencies.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand this comment, brother. I understand the benefits of owning a computer (I have a fairly new Dell I bought forv $249, and the only thing I "need" it for us banking....and I can do t hat via other means if I had to). But how would not having a computer affect the ability for one to live in our society when life typically happens offline?

15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Baptist Board? Heaven Forbid! :D:D:D:D:D

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You mean people actually would have to argue face-to-face????

• Like Like x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. That'd be life without really living...and all that outside stuff can be a bit much. I mean, did you know the ground was made of dirt?? Whoda thunk it?? Actual dirt. :Roflmao:Roflmao

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I really think what it comes down to is what we see as a need and a want. When we take our wants and make them needs, we become imbalanced in our budget and find ourselves in debt unless we make enough money to cover those wants. For example:

Need: Roof over your head
    Want: 3 bedroom house, 2 bathrooms, big yard, quiet street, two car garage
    Reality: We may need to decrease our view of what we will end up getting in a home because we can't afford our "want" so maybe we get a 2 bedroom with a basement that we can work on, 1 bathroom and a bit of a busier street with on street parking

Need: Clothing
    Want: New fashionable clothing
    Reality: Our budget is small for clothing and we can either pick up one or two expensive pieces or we can start thrifting and see what we can find in the thrift store or inexpensive places on sale (Macy's is GREAT for this). We may not be able to get Uggs but we can get "fuggs" - store brand knock offs. They are still warm without the brand name or price tag.

Need: Food
    Want: Steak, organic veggies, raw milk, pop tarts
    Reality: We may have to look into only getting the "dirty" veggies as organic and get the ones that we peel/wash/process in regular. We may have to cook vegetarian and maybe a bit of pasta/rice/potatoes to stretch the dollars. Skip the expensive extras and go for good healthy real food in season with prep and keep it simple. Make your own desserts to satisfy the craving for sweets.

Need: An outlet for fun
    Want: TV, computer, Xbox, expensive car, new golf clubs
    Reality: We may have to find used golf clubs, grab the working TV out of someone's garbage or look on Craigslist (there are a LOT of TVs that people are getting rid of that work fine but they "need" the newest and best), use the computer at the library and learn to play solitaire with real cards. Also checking into free things in your area is a great way to do fun things for nothing. Finally, learn the fun of just getting together with other people and playing games. We did that this week with spending just $10 on some food and everyone brought stuff and we played a GREAT game that just took some pens and paper to play. http://www.greatgroupgames.com/fishbowl.htm

When we start really measuring the things that are wants and needs, we begin to see where we can cut back to be able to stay within our budget, pay down debt and even start saving.

• Like Like x 1
  19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try looking for a job, going to school, paying bills, and such without a computer.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Need- Human Companionship
    Want- A pet rabbit, dog, cat, or other creature.

I disagree that a computer is a want. It is a need in todays society. Try looking for a job, applying and attending college, buying a house, and what not without a computer these days. Or try looking for an apartment without a computer these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.