1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Gods blessings

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have. It is inconvenient, but not difficult.

Technology is amazing, btw. I can do all of those things (plus check out books from the library and watch shows) from a $50 kindle.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On page 3, Evangelist asked:
    Nope. Your continual excuses as to why none of our suggestions will work for you, don't need any more response from me.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't use anything non Apple. But I can do all those things with a iPad Mini as well.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuses? No facts. I do agree however it is better to save money and resist the temptation to spend much money.

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife tried to get me to buy some Apple products and I just pointed her to the book of Genesis.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did all of that. We didn't have computers. We didn't have the internet. We didn't have Google. We actually had to do first hand research, in a library (that is a big building filled with books - books are pages of paper with letters on them that you read), and type out our term papers, theses, and dissertations on a manual typewriter.

I looked for my first job by taking the "Help Wanted" ads from the morning paper and pounding the pavement until I found employment.

I paid my bills by getting a due notice in the mail, writing a check, and sending it to my creditor in the return mail."

In other words we actually had to learn to do things for ourselves. Most especially, we learned to think for ourselves. :)

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll disagree, and say that a computer is right up there with a suit & tie or telephone. While not absolutely necessary, still vital.

But a serviceable, refurbished Windows product from Tiger Direct would cost 1/10 of what an Apple product costs new.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't care. I don't buy non Apple computers or phones.

9. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

And that's the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wondering....Why not? I like Apple ok (maybe not my first choice, but they are good products).

11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can relate, I reckon. I drive a Harley (technically it's the wife's :Biggrin), when a less expensive import would do much the same thing.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sapper wanna hear a joke?

13. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

No, thank you. I've been getting enough laughs out of this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ride…you ride a Harley. :D

I can relate as well. I look at Patek Philippe watches but wear a Tag. What I mean, Evan, is that we can by quality that will meet our needs without being slaves to marketing. Look at your needs, your finances, and make the best choice that you can (don't get stuck on brands, bells and whistles....get what you need).

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...you might want to re-check the Harley thing vs import ... but then again, I guess it depends on how you define "import."

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Facts." "Reasons." "Causes." "Justifications." Anything but "excuses."

Hey, whatever helps you sleep well.

But can you actually give me one real reason why you can't add $25 to only one of your high balance debts each month? That's $12 every 2 weeks, if you're on a bi-weekly pay schedule; or $6 a week if you get paid weekly.

Are you going to be unable to eat if you add that amount to your debt payments? Not pay the rent or mortgage? Go without shoes or clothes?

Or is it that you're not going to be able to buy a book? Or rent a movie, or go to the theater? Or not be able to pay the internet bill? Or maybe not get a caramel latte from the coffee shop?

If you said yes to the first set of questions -- you need to seek help with your debt.

If you said yes to the second set of questions, or anything like those examples -- well, those are "facts," I guess....

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can look for a job at the library, go to school and use their computer, pay bills with a check ..... and such.

Editing to add use the library to find an apartment as well. We used the computer initially to get a list of apartments but we found a number of them just by driving around.

You can totally live life without owning a computer.

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we are again. He asks advice and when he is rebuffed he disagrees with the helpful suggestions everyone has offered. Is a computer a necessity? For me it is; it allows me to work at home and check on the work I supervise without being at the office 16 hours a day and allows me to work from the road. But I paid $320 for a refurbished Dell Windows 10 laptop that does everything I need (truth be told, I wouldn't have bought it, but a burglar took the previous laptop).

It connects with my Windows phone ($60), so I can use the computer about anywhere. The thought of paying hundreds of dollars for an Apple phone is nonsense.

Same with DSL. I use it for work and entertainment. Same with my cellphone. I have to be available 24/7. Not optional with my job. It may be with yours.

I admit I have a TV, which I bought when the one handed down to me finally gave out.I could have kept watching the 15-year-old tube set, but I admit I couldn't go back to CRT. Bought it on sale.

I canceled cable and picked up Netflix and Hulu and put up an antenna. Saved a lot of money and still can watch TV (can't say I've missed anything important). I watch mostly PBS, which is free.

All of this is to say that you can spend a little bit of money to meet your needs and wants.

I will admit I have a weakness for camera equipment. I bought a new camera because I can use it for both work and recreation (and partly because the burglar also took my camera). Almost everything I buy is either used or refurbished.

I'm cheap, and as I grow older I get even cheaper. I find I need (not want) to save money for retirement and to help my children. I buy clothes at Goodwill and the Salvation Army, even though I can afford "better."

I sympathize because I've been at a time when it was paycheck to paycheck hoping all the bills would be paid. We all want nice things. But often something not quite so nice will accomplish everything we really need, and even want.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually Ann's comments have made me think a little bit more about my spending.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No matter what I say you will find fault that is a fact with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.