God's CHOSEN are always SAVED

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by atpollard, Oct 26, 2020.

1. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the word that I am chasing down:
    • [Mat 22:14 NASB] 14 "For many are called, but few [are] chosen."[G1588]
    • [Mat 24:22, 24, 31 NASB] 22 "Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect[G1588] those days will be cut short. ... 24 "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.[G1588] ... 31 "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect[G1588] from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.
    • [Mar 13:20, 22, 27 NASB] 20 "Unless the Lord had shortened [those] days, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect,[G1588] whom He chose, He shortened the days. ... 22 for false Christs and false prophets will arise, and will show signs and wonders, in order to lead astray, if possible, the elect.[G1588] ... 27 "And then He will send forth the angels, and will gather together His elect[G1588] from the four winds, from the farthest end of the earth to the farthest end of heaven.
    • [Luk 18:7 NASB] 7 now, will not God bring about justice for His elect[G1588] who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them?
    • [Luk 23:35 NASB] 35 And the people stood by, looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, "He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen[G1588] One."[G1588]
    • [Rom 8:33 NASB] 33 Who will bring a charge against God's elect?[G1588] God is the one who justifies;
    • [Rom 16:13 NASB] 13 Greet Rufus, a choice[G1588] man[G1588] in the Lord, also his mother and mine.
    • [Col 3:12 NASB] 12 So, as those who have been chosen[G1588] of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;
    • [1Ti 5:21 NASB] 21 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of [His] chosen[G1588] angels, to maintain these [principles] without bias, doing nothing in a [spirit of] partiality.
    • [2Ti 2:10 NASB] 10 For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen,[G1588] so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus [and] with [it] eternal glory.
    • [Tit 1:1 NASB] 1 Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen[G1588] of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness,
    • [1Pe 1:1 NASB] 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen[G1588]
    • [1Pe 2:4, 6, 9 NASB] 4 And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice[G1588] and precious in the sight of God, ... 6 For [this] is contained in Scripture: "BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A CHOICE[G1588] STONE, A PRECIOUS CORNER [stone,] AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED." ... 9 But you are A CHOSEN[G1588] RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR [God's] OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
    • [2Jo 1:1, 13 NASB] 1 The elder to the chosen[G1588] lady and her children, whom I love in truth; and not only I, but also all who know the truth, ... 13 The children of your chosen[G1588] sister greet you.
    • [Rev 17:14 NASB] 14 "These will wage war against the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, because He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those who are with Him [are the] called and chosen[G1588] and faithful."
    I want to know who "the elect", "the chosen", "His elect", "His chosen", God's elect" and "God's chosen" (depending on your translation) are! Some say they are "saved and unsaved selected for a purpose", but that is not what I see when I look at the "ἐκλεκτός" [G1588] in scripture. I was told that the Jews are the "chosen/elect" and we gentiles are reading ourselves into scripture that is not about us. So I began my search in the OT with God's "chosen" (H972) as equivalent to God's "elect" (G1588).

Can you honestly say any of these verses using (G1588) in the LXX are talking about the subject and people that I am looking to understand?
    • [Gen 23:6 KJV] 6 Hear us, my lord: thou [art] a mighty prince among us: in the choice of our sepulchres bury thy dead; none of us shall withhold from thee his sepulchre, but that thou mayest bury thy dead.
    • [Gen 41:2 KJV] 2 And, behold, there came up out of the river seven well favoured kine and fat fleshed; and they fed in a meadow.
    • [Gen 41:4 KJV] 4 And the ill favoured and lean fleshed kine did eat up the seven well favoured and fat kine. So Pharaoh awoke.
    • [Gen 41:5 KJV] 5 And he slept and dreamed the second time: and, behold, seven ears of corn came up upon one stalk, rank and good.

"Make sure you’re not putting your own meaning into the words."
    I think I have.

2. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are already adopted as children of God!

3. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    prove it with scripture please?.
    MB

4. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Flip question always get is how sinners resist God work for salvation, but all of Hi sown shall indeed get saved!

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: And all those who are sons and daughters of God have the blessed hope of seeing Jesus and being like Him when he shall appear to take his children to a new heavenly home. 1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

6. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election is not salvific--it's for purpose. God chose Abraham to bring Himself a Family. God chose Christ to bring this covenant into reality. Christ is the primo Elect One. We become part of the elect through Faith in Christ. Abraham is the father of Faith and we become "sons of the household" when we Trust in Christ, receiving the promises and blessings given to Abraham and His family. There can be much to write concerning this. But this is the Gist. Christ is the Elect One from eternity past to bring into being a Kingdom and Family and People that will worship and adore the King forever. Abraham is the family in time and space that brings about an inheritance of God's blessings and promises.

7. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry sir, I disagree.
    To me, election is to salvation ( 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Ephesians 1:4-5, Romans 8:28-30 ), but I do agree that it is for a purpose.
    I'm reminded of this passage when I read your quote above:

" Now I say, [That] the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
    2 but is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.
    3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:
    4 but when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
    5 to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
    6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
    7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ."
    ( Galatians 4:1-7 ).

Jon,
    The above tells me the following:

1) The example is given that the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ with a servant of the household though the heir is ( and will be ) lord of all in that household.
    2) The heir is also under tutors and governors ( teachers and overseers ) until the time that their father's appointment becomes a reality and they assume their role.
    3) Believers, when they were children ( did you catch that? Believers in Christ are yet children even before they are made aware of their salvation, that is how I read it ), were in bondage ( servitude ) under the elements of the world.
    4) When the fulness of time was come, God sent His son ( made of a woman, made under the Law of Moses )…
    5) To redeem them ( the elect ) that were under the Law...so that we ( those that would believe, His elect ) might receive the adoption of sons.
    6) And because we ( the whosoever believeth, from the heart ) are sons ( not "will be" ), God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba, Father".
    7) We, as God's elect are no more servants, but sons. If we are sons, then we are also heirs of God through Christ.

In other words, I don't see this passage describing what I've underlined in your quote above ( a "will be" with respect to becoming an heir ) or becoming ( to go from being one to the other ) sons of the household;
    But we "already are" when it comes to being part of God's household, even before we have believed.

What do you see when you read this passage, if I may ask?

8. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This whole thing is a moot-point since Saul was God's chosen unto rule, not salvation.

9. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pardon the interruption of the fray.

Let us note three things about being chosen.

1) We are always chosen for a purpose, and if the purpose is salvation, that is the result.
    2) Were we chosen corporately, as a group, say those to be redeemed through faith, or individually for salvation, those placed into Christ and thus saved forever.
    3) When an individual is chosen for salvation, then they become part of the corporate group, as they are redeemed, that was chosen before creation.

Really simple when you think about it...

Carry on...

10. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barry ignores all other verses about our adoption and isolates only Romans 8:23 with no concern for context or scripture interpreting scripture.
    He's singularly focused on his false doctrine.

11. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what "non-salvific" purpose are these "the elect" and "His (God's) elect"?

• [Mat 24:22, 24, 31 NASB]
    • 22 "Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect[G1588] those days will be cut short. ...
    • 24 "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.[G1588] ...
    • 31 "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect[G1588] from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

12. atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for sharing your opinion.
    Is there Scripture that states "We are always chosen for a purpose"?
    Is there Scripture that states "we [are] chosen corporately, as a group"?
    Is there Scripture that states "When an individual is chosen for salvation, then they become part of the corporate group"?

13. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not according to Eph 1.5 and Rom 8.23 .
    We become a child of God through the new birth John 1.12 , not Adoption . We recieve the Spirit Of it but THE adoption is the redemption of the body .

14. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To bad I cannot thank you for presenting your opinion as to the answers of your questions.

Many verses include the purpose for the choice, such as 2 Thessalonians 2:13 which indicates the Thessalonians were chosen for salvation. OTOH, no verse that I know of indicates a choice for no purpose. None, zip, nada.
    Corporate election is found throughout scripture, according to Dr. Dan Wallace. "Thus, election is seen to be initiated by God and effected by God. Those who are chosen—whether individuals or groups—become what they are chosen for."
    For example, say God chose His "Redeemer" before the foundation of the world, and thus God chose in choosing Him, those who would be redeemed corporately. However, when an individual is indeed redeemed, they become part of the group chosen corporately before creation.

Really simple

15. Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I don’t see why those verses in Genesis aren’t helpful to you. They give uses of the word that inform you about the word itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Might recieve ( future )

17. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I interpret the clear first. There is no clearer verse on what the adoption is than Rom 8.23 . It actually says what the Adoption is . Only someone ideologically possessed would miss it .I believe a system is forcing the clear reading of Rom 8 .23 to not be taken as read . " it cant be yet future, because I have doctrines that this messes with if I take it as read . So no , I think we need to get all the other verse put them together with some other presuppositions we have and re interpret Rom 8 . 23 in light of that , thus showing our doctrines are great philosophical reasons why the bible isn't true" .

18. Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible is clear we were elected by God before the foundation of creation to be in Christ. I don’t see any problem with that.

The problem is Calmenianism because it does not answer the arguments from both sides satisfactorily.

The problem is limiting the atonement to only part of humanity. Was the imputation of Adam’s sin limited to only part of humanity? No it includes infants as well as fetuses.

I have to take the Bible at face value and cannot insert human reasoning to make it understandable for my created mind.

The same problem is found for example with the triunity of the Godhead. No one can fully comprehend how it is that God is a trinity and give a definition of what and how this is true but I have to again accept what is written.

Joy unspeakable full of glory

19. Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the problems with being chosen to be saved is that you don't have a verse that says your predestinated to glorification.

20. MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All scripture is to be taken as read you don't do this and is why you do not understand scripture.
    MB