going to church 3 times a week

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Apr 26, 2007.

1. OrovilleTim New Member

This would be a good poll. "Do you more time on the BB correcting others than you do in church under conviction?" (Or is a pastor preaching something that puts someone under conviction too "legalistic"?)

Steady debating no matter the cost, when you could be out reaching the lost?

2. James_Newman New Member

A them is a generic collective pronoun composed of hims.

3. James_Newman New Member

I'm at work, you legalist.

4. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    If a member is skipping Church services to attend birthday parties, races and or games, or other worldly events, they are straddling the fence.

Holding onto the world while trying to please God. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

5. Rufus_1611 New Member

Will this be your final post?

6. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My point. That pastor has no right to be "the" voice of the church, let alone God. Submitting to ones authority is also required according to that verse. I would have a problem submitting to a pastor who had the gall questioning my spirituality based on how many nights a week I attend "church".

7. Rufus_1611 New Member

Is it contrary to scripture? Is that pastor not looking after the souls of his flock in encouraging the assembly of the flock or is he undermining their spiritual walk by it? Do you suppose one who checks in for an hour on Sunday is on fire, lukewarm or cold for Christ? How would this contrast with someone who shows up three or more times?

8. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes it is.
    He's shoving his personal convictions...that are extrabiblical...down the throats of the congregation. Hardly "encouraging the assembly", and would undermine my spiritual walk if I were in his church.
    Could be all of the above. Could also be a satanist, muslim, or buddhist. Attending "church" does not = saved or solid spiritual walk.
    There are going to be PLENTY of people in hell who attend church 3 of more times a week!

9. Rufus_1611 New Member

Very well. He should sit down and the congregation should preach.

Are you sure you'd be there to hear him?
    The church is an assembly of believers, unless it is one of those churches for the unchurched things.

If they're headed for Hell, then not sure what is getting them to church 3 times a week. Perhaps, it's the rock and roll and coffee bars?

10. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

he should preach the Gospel. Calling out a person' spirituality based on how many times they walk through a door of a church isn't the Gospel.
    I hope you are not questioning my salvation here.
    There are people who think just because they attend church they are "good" or "christians". I can't believe you deny this, and assume that everyone who attends church 3 or more times a week by default are 'dedicated christians'. Amazing...well not really when dealing with legalism, I guess.

11. Rufus_1611 New Member

His church should already know the gospel if they're in church. A pastor would be negligent if he preached milk all the time or his congregation would be if he was forced to.

"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine." - 2 Timothy 4:2

"For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God." - Acts 20:27​

No. I am questioning whether or not you believe people should be encouraged to go to church, is this not the position you are defending?

12. James_Newman New Member

Do you honestly believe that churches are supposed to be full of unbelievers and the pastor is just supposed to preach 'the gospel' (whatever you think that means) three times a week hoping that some of them will get saved? No wonder you guys get tired of going to church.

13. saturneptune New Member

Well, I have a really clear answer for you. Whether or not an individual encourages others to go to church is up to him or her.

To answer your question, NO, the reason people go to church is they are lead by the Lord.

But Rufus, you never know. Maybe all the church members are missing because of the black helocopters.

14. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let me help you out here...Gospel means "good news". This is found in the Bible, therefore a pastor should be preaching from the Bible...and not from their extra-biblical book of Opinions which deals with their personal convictions.

15. Joined:
    May 18, 2006
    It is not extra-biblical to preach that people should be in Church. It is also not unbiblical to tell them they are slipping or lukewarm.

The Word of God tells us to encourage them to go to Church, and more often in these last days.

It also tells us to test the spirits, to reprove, to rebuke, to correct, to instruct.

Problem is, many do not want to be taught the truth. They want teachers who will tickle their ears telling them Church attendance is not necessary.

Many are offended at the Word, as is quite evident in this thread.

16. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's extra-biblical to preach that people who don't attend church the number of times you think they should are slipping or lukewarm.

17. James_Newman New Member

Not everything in the bible is good news, especially when you are on the wrong side of it.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Thats a command to pastors.

Hebrews 13:22 And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.

Thats a command to you.

How can you suffer the word of exhortation if you are not there to hear it preached?

Ephesians 4:11-12
    11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
    12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

18. James_Newman New Member

What if they were already slipped or were cold? What would that look like?

19. Rufus_1611 New Member

Ummm, alright so is it alright for a pastor to exhort his congregation to show up?

Then there's no reason for the preacher to preach, he can just look good and let the people be led. No wonder Joel Osteen is so popular.

That's quite a theory you have there.

20. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:confused: