1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Salty, Dec 7, 2016.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These files from the (Santa Rosa, CA) Press Democrat (Tuesday, June 20, 1989, p. D1 & D4) might prove interesting. I hope the file is not too large. I'll try.

Looks like that won't work. I'll post it on my blog. (I'm no computer guru -- which you'll easily figure out. You may have to download and save it to make it a size you'd like and/or can see.) The Hall is mentioned on the D4 page.

#21 rlvaughn, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lucerne was located in Lucerne, California on Clear Lake about two hours north of San Francisco. The seminary was housed in Hamilton Square Baptist Church.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conference grounds (I led teen program for a week there in 1969) was on Clear Lake, California, about 100 miles north of the Bay area, just north of Napa Valley

San Francisco Baptist Theological Seminary was located at Hamilton Square Baptist Church, just a few blocks west of the main city center. I visited in 1969, considering it a possible site for my Master's work. It was heavily supported by Maranatha Baptist University (Watertown, WI) undergrad pastoral program.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, Dick Dion (a long-time friend) founded the Fundamental Baptist Hall of Fame in his church in Great Falls, Montana which also housed a small bible institute/college (Mountain States Baptist College). Every year he sent a list of possible inductees to select people - those who received an 80% vote as one of top five in that "class" would be added. Some years 2-3 would make it; other years none. I have had no contact with the church in 20 years, so 'out-of-the-loop' on any details

5. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is he related to Dr. Brad Weniger in VA

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uncle.

I believe Brad's father was Max?

From post #21's newspaper article from 1989:

"San Francisco Baptist Theological Seminary bought the ailing landmark in 1966, a move spearheaded by [Dr. Arno Q.] Weniger and his three brothers, Dr. G. Archer Weniger (now deceased), Dr. Max Weniger, and Dr. Ortiz Weniger, all Baptist preachers. Arno is currently the center's administrator, and Max its resident manager. According to Arno Weniger, 'it's largely the dream and sacrificial effort of the Weniger Brothers that brought this thing about.' Weniger is reluctant to name the purchase price, but admits it was 'remarkably low.' Since then, he adds, 'We've been offered well in excess of several millions but we'll never sell.' In 1987 the seminary reorganized, and title to the building passed to a new, separate, non-profit corporation the Lucerne Christian Conference Center....The central hall has been transformed into 'The Fundamentalist Hall of Fame' by lining its walls with numerous photos and paintings of various Baptist preachers, all of whom have spoken at the center."

What a collection of portraits that must have been. I wonder where they ended up.

7. Neal D Fisher

Neal D Fisher New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey I went to Lucerne for church camp as a kid in the 1970 and had a good time there plus I went to Foot Hill Baptist church for many years my Dad went there as a kid in the 1944 but he is in heaven now but every thing the pastor said has come true .

8. Neal D Fisher

Neal D Fisher New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did get to meet Max, and Bob Jones Jr and third at Lucerne church camp.

9. Neal D Fisher

Neal D Fisher New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been there many times with my parents for church meeting in the 1970 my church did a lot of stuff with them that was Foot Hill Baptist church.

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neal, welcome to the Baptist Board.